PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Day

mattydee
01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Yesterday was actually the day, but today was the first day I got to play a bit.

A new to me Mainland Honeybee solid Mahogany Soprano. I already had a Mainland Red Cedar Soprano, and the first solid wood uke I ever played was a friend's mahogany Mainland, so I have been a fan of the maker for a while.

But this honeybee is, well, the bee's knees. I love the satin finish, and I really love the honeycomb style rope purfling, as opposed to the inlay style they have on other models.

Plus this one came (beautifully packaged by paulbsa, by the way) in a tweed case, which basically matches the purfling.

I haven't had much of a chance to play it yet -- not even to plug it in (pick up! Sweet!) but the few songs I have played have been great... I really enjoy mahogany as a tone wood.

mds725
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Congratulations on your new ukulele! I hope it sounds as good as it looks!

Gmoney
01-07-2012, 11:57 AM
The Honeybee is a GREAT Mainland! Got one for myself, but my daughter siezed it immediately & claimed it as her own.

Nickie
01-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Congrats! It's beautiful. I hope you really dig it!

Trinimon
01-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Congrats on the new uke.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Congratulations!

rem50
01-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I have heard those mainlands sound great. I got to play a pineapple once and loved it. Hope you enjoy yours!

tigersister
01-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Congrats, it's lovely! I so love the sound of Mainlands.

hibiscus
01-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Congratulations! I'll have to check out this model.

mattydee
01-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Congratulations! I'll have to check out this model.

Sadly, this one is out of print, so to speak. Mine is second hand. Grabbed it off the marketplace a few days ago. Not sure why they don't make them anymore, but a soprano with a pickup is a glorious thing.

Chris Tarman
01-08-2012, 04:14 AM
That's a beauty! I love my Mainland Gloss Mahogany soprano with the MiSi pickup. Mainlands are hard to beat!

mattydee
01-08-2012, 04:32 AM
That's a beauty! I love my Mainland Gloss Mahogany soprano with the MiSi pickup. Mainlands are hard to beat!

Yeah, and I prefer the matte, so it's great. The gloss on my cedar soprano is great, but all my other ukes have a matte or satin finish, and there's something about that I prefer. Diff'rent strokes.

That said, I can't get over the mainland build/price ratio. So good! I'm looking forward to having a bit more time in my schedule to enjoy this one. Hard to know when that will be though. More and more work opportunities keep cropping up and I am keeping pretty busy. Not complaining, just looking for more uke time!

Chris Tarman
01-08-2012, 05:17 AM
Yeah, and I prefer the matte, so it's great. The gloss on my cedar soprano is great, but all my other ukes have a matte or satin finish, and there's something about that I prefer. Diff'rent strokes.

That said, I can't get over the mainland build/price ratio. So good! I'm looking forward to having a bit more time in my schedule to enjoy this one. Hard to know when that will be though. More and more work opportunities keep cropping up and I am keeping pretty busy. Not complaining, just looking for more uke time!

I bought my niece a matte mahogany Mainland before I bought my own. I liked the matte version too.

mm stan
01-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Congratulations on your Honeybee...I have that same one...did you buy it second hand, since it a limited edition...I love tthe sound of mine and I have Aquila on mine too...get a honeytone battery amp for 19.99 from Musician friend...they go good together....Happy Strummings.. MM Stan
P.S. I did polish mine to a gloss finish with NU finish auto polish...

mattydee
01-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Congratulations on your Honeybee...I have that same one...did you buy it second hand, since it a limited edition...I love tthe sound of mine and I have Aquila on mine too...get a honeytone battery amp for 19.99 from Musician friend...they go good together....Happy Strummings.. MM Stan
P.S. I did polish mine to a gloss finish with NU finish auto polish...

Yep, second hand here on the marketplace. And I already have the Honeytone amp, in minty green, which I've been using for my Eleuke pineapple. Seems like a perfect fit for this guy too. Stan, I know you like the martin strings, which I'm thinking about switching to here... What do you think?

allanr
01-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Looks beautiful! Congratulations.

mm stan
01-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Yep, second hand here on the marketplace. And I already have the Honeytone amp, in minty green, which I've been using for my Eleuke pineapple. Seems like a perfect fit for this guy too. Stan, I know you like the martin strings, which I'm thinking about switching to here... What do you think?
Aloha MattyDee,
I have the same minty green honeytone amp....I had the aquila first and they are nice too...but you are right, I love my M600 martins...either ones work fine....when you change the strings
would be a good time to spiffy up and polish it to gloss shine...Have fun and enjoy....Happy Strummings...MM Stan