FYI: in LA, a Koaloha Concert for $500. NEVER USED!<SOLD>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, that might fill the concert size hole in my stable! email sent.

Thanks I might need the luck to fend off the Mrs.! Let you know how it turns out.

Got it!
Looks clean. 10/2006 build. Very slight bridge separation and high action, it's off to the doctor.
peewee

Oh yeah - The seller says she and her spouse were gifted two Koalohas at the same time, this concert and a soprano.
She also mentioned wanting to sell the soprano (for $400) if anyone's interested. Soprano probably also suffering from no setup and possible neglect issues, but unplayed. I did not see it.
Concert was built in 2006, Soprano probably same age.
PM me and I'll put you in touch.
LA sale only.

Eagerly awaiting the Luthier's call to get my new toy back..

That's really awesome! I'm glad you got it. Maybe someone will get a good deal on the soprano too! 400 is a steal.

What does a luthier charge to repair a slight bridge separation and do a setup?

In my not so vast experience with Luthiers, it's never cheap. Skilled labor and all that.
No exception here, asking $70 to remove and re-glue the bridge, and do the setup. Reputable place, so that's what it costs..

Not bad. I thought it might be more in the $100 range. Congrats on the new-to-you uke.

..... No exception here, asking $70 to remove and re-glue the bridge, and do the setup.

I'm glad you didn't get burned by the seller. The CL listing described the uklulele as "new" and didn't mention the detached bridge, although it was pretty clear from the photos that the bridge was crooked.

Hi
Bridge is not crooked, just lifting in the upper corner, maybe 15-20% detached. Not visible on the photos.
I'm glad you didn't get burned by the seller. The CL listing described the uklulele as "new" and didn't mention the detached bridge, although it was pretty clear from the photos that the bridge was crooked.

I thought Koaloha uke is high end product, how come it has high action? Wouldn't Koaloha check first before put it into the market?

I thought Koaloha uke is high end product, how come it has high action? Wouldn't Koaloha check first before put it into the market?

... there are ambient conditions and other factors that can turn a perfectly setup instrument into a slide ukulele in no time...

I get the impression this particular solid koa instrument has been unused and improperly stored for several years. Even so, there was a good chance KoAloha would have made repairs and adjusted action if peewee had wanted to wait for them to make the repairs and ship to/from Hawaii.
Soprano probably also suffering from no setup and possible neglect issues, but unplayed. Concert was built in 2006...

I have to disagree, especially if it costs another $70 to have a luthier fix it up. You can get a new KoAloha Soprano for $470 (see today's discount), though you may have to wait a few weeks for delivery straight from the factory: http://stores.cymbalismmusic.com/-strse-1747/KoAloha-Soprano-Ukulele-Ukuleles/Detail.bok

Drew, you have a point, especially if it needs fixing. Perhaps a potential buyer could make this point and talk the price down.

I'm glad peewee is stoked about his.

I remain stoked, especially as the doctor visit was only $50. Neither the luthier nor I knew that the bridge is in fact held on by screws, so he didn't take it all the way off after all, just scraped out the old glue, reinjected and clamped..
Sure I could have bought a lot of clamps and sandpaper (for the bridge) for $50, but I would have had a nervous breakdown trying to get the bridge off with the screws in there.

It's pretty, loud, and effectively brand new, with old style bridge and a one piece back. As for all you naysayers, you cannot harsh my mellow as I am strumming my new uke, and I will smite you with my mighty Up Down Down Up move. Hiii-YAAA!

Thread closed since it has been sold to peewee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom