PDA

View Full Version : Compensated Saddles

AndrewF
01-06-2012, 09:23 PM
I’m curious about compensated saddles.
I’ve got three instruments: –
Brunswick soprano uke, uncompensated saddle;
Oscar Schmidt tenor uke, saddle compensated on the C and E strings (why only those?);
Yamaha C40 classical guitar, saddle compensated on G string only (why only that one?).
I’m aware that good electric guitars have a movable saddle for each string.
The poor intonation of the Brunswick is its only problem, so I’m wondering where I can buy spare saddles (in the UK), and I assume I file them down myself?
I've just put a high-tension guitar G string on my tenor uke. The tension is on the boundary of too slack and OK, but the intonation is bad. I don't think the tension will affect the intonation. It seems a bit of a coincidence that the G string is the one that is compensated on the Yamaha. Do you think it's possible that the Oscar Schmidt is only compensated for a high-G string?
Cheers
Andrew

BlackBearUkes
01-08-2012, 04:06 PM
For the classical guitar, most of the strings are about the same diameter making compensation about the same for each string except for the G which slightly thicker and the odd man out for tuning, thus requiring a bit more compensation at the bridge end.

For the ukes, a short scale instrument like this requires that each uke be set up for the bridge saddle height, type and thickness of strings used, fret size and compensation for each of the different scales. That is the short answer.