More Chuck's

Timbuck

Reaction score
If you have a small lathe these are a must have..it's a lot quicker to swap over chucks than to keep swapping tooling when you're drilling and tapping a load of components.

BUT!!! I don't know how they do it ( I'm talking about the Chinese) :confused:..all that work..Forging, Heat treatment, Machining, Gear cutting, Knurling, Precision Grinding, Assembly, and stamping logo's etc:..then they are shipped in quality packing half way round the world from China to the UK and end up on E-bay sold as brand new for £10 as a set of 3 including chuck keys...And traders are making a profit on them as well. ?
PICT0002-10.jpg

Last edited:
I keep one chuck with a center drill and two others empty. I plan to make some #3 morse taper shanks fitted with a center drill to free up a chuck.

Hey, I just acquired a small lathe and cheap makes my wife happy. What is the brand on those chucks Timbuck? Are they #2 Morse taper? That would be an awesome addition to my tooling.

I hope the steel is a better quality than those Chinese drill bits I bought from the bin in the aisle of the hardware store. I tried to drill some holes in a plastic guitar pick for better grip. The bit bent almost 90 degrees! (not broke-bent). The rest promptly went in the trash!
I didn't know, they sure looked like drill bits.

Bill

If you have a small lathe these are a must have..it's a lot quicker to swap over chucks than to keep swapping tooling when you're drilling and tapping a load of components.

BUT!!! I don't know how they do it ( I'm talking about the Chinese) :confused:..all that work..Forging, Heat treatment, Machining, Gear cutting, Knurling, Precision Grinding, Assembly, and stamping logo's etc:..then they are shipped in quality packing half way round the world from China to the UK and end up on E-bay sold as brand new for £10 as a set of 3 including chuck keys...And traders are making a profit on them as well. ?
PICT0002-10.jpg

You don't understand,.......they DO lose money on every sale.........

.......BUT,.......they make it up on volumn! Just "chuck" it up to the Chinese work ethic.

Steal the technology and patents,........so you don't have the R&D expenses to worry about. Artifically peg your currency lower than it would normally be,.......and flood the market to drive out your competition.

The next phase comes in where the pricing reflects actual cost to produce and a profit. That hasn't happened yet,.....

The joke will be on them when those trillions of US dolllars they're holding becomes toilet paper. :D

BTW,.....i suspect the steel is pretty soft,......can't imagine it's hardened to optimum rockwell numbers,.....so the clamping edges might deform rather quickly when cranked down on hardened drill bits and such. Same with the chuck keys i think. ????

Last edited:
Believe me Joe it is beginning to happen - prices for Chinese made goods are slowly creeping up - ukuleles being one of them! And hooray. At least it makes the price of bespoke work look within the reach of mere mortals!

Isn't .014" runout kind of a lot for drilling? Added to whatever runout your lathe or drill press may already have.

Isn't .014" runout kind of a lot for drilling? Added to whatever runout your lathe or drill press may already have.
Seeing as it's Sunday night and there is nowt on the TV worth watching..I made a simple set up in the shed to check the runout on these chucks..I have a spare Drummond lathe headstock that I recently refurbished and it runs within .ooo5" it has a # 1 morse taper spindle so it's just the job .. I used a piece of 1/4" ground stock in the chucks and used a dial gauge to test.
And the 6mm chuck was the best @ .0005" out..the 10mm next @ .0025" and the worst was the 13mm @ .005"...I can live with that :)
PICT0004-14.jpg

You don't understand,.......they DO lose money on every sale.........

.......BUT,.......they make it up on volumn! Just "chuck" it up to the Chinese work ethic.

Steal the technology and patents,........so you don't have the R&D expenses to worry about. Artifically peg your currency lower than it would normally be,.......and flood the market to drive out your competition.

The next phase comes in where the pricing reflects actual cost to produce and a profit. That hasn't happened yet,.....

The joke will be on them when those trillions of US dolllars they're holding becomes toilet paper. :D

BTW,.....i suspect the steel is pretty soft,......can't imagine it's hardened to optimum rockwell numbers,.....so the clamping edges might deform rather quickly when cranked down on hardened drill bits and such. Same with the chuck keys i think. ????

Joe, are you implying that there is something lacking in the Chinese work ethic?
Are you referring to all Chinese people as a whole or just the ones that made the chucks?

Top Bottom