FS: Ko'olau CE-200 Electric Cutaway Tenor Ukulele in Mint Condition - $1000 obo

cboldwyn

Reaction score
Hello!
I was given this beautiful ukulele from a gentlemen who had a bit of a shopping problem. OK, maybe more then a little problem. He is a Japanese citizen who left our country after racking up somewhere near $2 million in consumer debt! As far as I know, he does not know how to play the ukulele and as such, this instrument has seen very little use by him. I do not know if he is the original owner. Since I received the uke from him some three years ago, I've played it a total of maybe 6 hours. I've never played the ukulele prior to having this instrument. Being as I don't really play the ukulele, I can no longer justify having this instrument sit around the house. It needs a new home! (Please note that I am not able to show timestamps on photos taken from my phone. If, however, you look at the photos in my picasa album linked at the bottom, you will see that all of the photos have been taken very recently.)
IMG_20120107_142928.jpg
I've had it listed on Craigslist for quite some time and the only real interest I've had thus far was from Garywj here on the forums. We met the other day so that he could see the instrument. Unfortunately, it wasn't the one for him but he was kind enough to refer me to this forum. So, here I am!
Here's what I can tell you about the instrument:
It is made by Ko'oalu and it is a model CE-200. I do not know what the specific differences are between this model and the current CE-2. After meeting with Garywj, he felt that this was perhaps an earlier model of the current CE-2. I will try to highlight some of the differences in this model from their current model below.
There is a large pick guard that is obvious to see in the pictures. I do not know who or when this was installed. I have peeled up two of the edges and confirmed that whatever adhesive was used has not damaged/affected the underlying wood and should be easily removed and cleaned up if the buyer so desires. Also, if there is enough interest in this uke w/out the pick guard, I can remove it and clean the wood up and post pictures prior to a sale.
Ko'olau makes their ukes in a ton of different woods. I do not know what type of wood was used for the body of this uke but I can say that it is quite dark.
It does have a gloss finish which according to the current price list on the Ko'olalu website runs an additional $450.
There is a white trim that runs around the body that really looks sharp against the dark wood.
The tuners are open Grover tuners in a nickel color. The new CE-2s use Gotoh open tuners.
The current models have pearl inlay logos on the head. This uke features a logo on the head, but it is not pearl nor an inlay.
It does appear to have the inlay pearl fingerboard position dots like the current models.
This model uses active amplification like the current models and features an EMG-APA-2 acoustic preamp. It is powered by a 9v battery that, unlike the current models, is accessed by removing the back plate which is secured by four screws.
The condition of this ukulele is absolutely superb. These are no marks, nicks, scratches, or dings that I can find anywhere on this instrument. The action is great with no buzzing. I've only had access to an amp one time and when I did plug it in, it played and the volume and tone knobs functioned with no issues.
The case that comes with it is not the original. It is one of those "hard" cases that feel like they are made out of thin cardboard. While the case does its job of protecting the ukulele just fine, it should be noted that this is not the high quality original case.
Please take a look through the pictures in the album linked below. If additional pictures are needed, please let me know!
If you have any questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer!
I am asking $1000 for this fine instrument but am taking offers as well. I will provide free shipping if I receive my asking price. I might consider trading this uke for an acoustic ukulele and some cash.
I am located in Huntington Beach, CA for those who might be interested in meeting locally.
If you prefer to talk on the phone, feel free to call me at: (530) four two seven-4163.
Since I am not really an active member of this forum, I ask that you send me an email rather than a PM: cboldwyn at gmail dot com.
I realize that I do not have a reputation on this forum and as such potential buyers may be apprehensive about working with me. To help ease your fears, here is a link to my eBay Feedback. Also, I'm sure Garywj would be happy to share his experience of meeting me and looking at this ukulele.
Thanks for looking!

Link to photos

Charles

Attachments

• IMG_20111014_112812.jpg
    IMG_20111014_112812.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I met with Charles yesterday and saw this uke. It appears to be in good shape. He was coming into my area, so we met at a Starbucks. There was no amp, so I didn't get to plug it in. The action seemed nice. Plan on new strings. I've never seen one with a pick guard like this one. The case was not very substantial. There were no dings, scratches or wear markings on the uke. If someone wants an electric solid body this one may be fine. Charles seems to be a nice guy. I told him about this forum and that I would post something if he advertised here to verify he's a real person with a real uke for sale. Good luck on your sale Charles. I hope you uke finds a nice home.

I checked and he is the same guy he claims to be on EBay. :eek:

Still available?

Top Bottom