Banjo!

Spanalier

Reaction score
So I just purchased my first banjo :) Or my dad did for me. I was away at a conference over the weekend, but he happened to be in the same area and since the music store is a few hours away and has weird hours (only open on saturday) he picked it up for me and I'll have it tomorrow.

I'm very excited. The banjo is the last instrument I've really wanted to pick up (for now at least).

It's a deering goodtime openback :)

So I just purchased my first banjo :) Or my dad did for me. I was away at a conference over the weekend, but he happened to be in the same area and since the music store is a few hours away and has weird hours (only open on saturday) he picked it up for me and I'll have it tomorrow.

I'm very excited. The banjo is the last instrument I've really wanted to pick up (for now at least).

It's a deering goodtime openback :)

Congrats on the banjo. I have a Deering Goodtime openback too. Nice little instrument. Deering is a great US company and puts out nice stuff. They are a lot of fun to learn though it is not easy. Start with learning some basic finger rolls and you will be playing in no time... Maybe I'll see you on banjo hangout!

I, too, play banjo. I started a few weeks ago. It's definitely a simple instrument with a complex playing technique. Once you get the rolls (as he^ said) and hang of that 5th string not being where you expect it to be around the 1st-4th frets, you'll be on your way to fingerpicking away. Watch tons of videos online about the rolls and fingering techniques. A few good songs to learn as a beginner are "Cripple Creek," "9 Pound Hammer," and "Boil 'em Cabbage Down."

I have the DVD lessons from Geoff Hohwald. He does a great job, and the tabs are provided on screen! I think the DVD is like $15. Pick it up!

Congrats to you..
I've always wanted a Deering Goodtime Banjo..
You lucky bastard... ;)
Play on.

Oh btw..
What do you call a professional banjo player with a mortgage?

An optimist..

Look for Janet Evans's You Can Teach Yourself Banjo.

Top Bottom