PDA

View Full Version : Great affordable "Guitarlele" - $95<SOLD>

Tommy B
01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
If you're looking for an affordable guitarlele and are considering buying a Yamaha Guitarlele, please consider this instead. This is a Strunal 1/4-size guitar with a solid red cedar top. Like the Yamaha, it's a tenor-uke-scale guitar, but IMO, it compares very favorably with the Yamaha in terms of materials, build quality, sound and -- in this case -- price. (The Strunal sells for more than twice as much as the Yamaha, but I got mine cheap and I'm selling it cheap. The reason I'm selling it is because I just bought a larger, 1/2-size guitar that I want to convert to guitarlele tuning.)

Pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbutt/sets/72157628770215955/

Here's a comparison of the Strunal with the Yamaha. The Strunal's body is a little deeper, and it's nut width is a tad narrower:

Scale length:
Strunal: 17-1/4 inches / Yamaha: 17 inches

Body Depth:
Strunal: 3 inches / Yamaha 2-13/16 inches

Overall Length:
Strunal: 28-7/8 inches / Yamaha: 28-3/4 inches

Soundboard:
Strunal: Solid Red Cedar / Yamaha: Laminated Spruce

Body and finish:
Strunal: Gloss finish, binding on top and back, rosette/ Yamaha: Matt finish, no rosette.

This Strunal is in excellent, undamaged condition. It may have minute signs of use, but I'd rate it a 9 out of 10. The sound is sweet, bright and very satisfying. The bass (as much bass as you can get out of a tenor-sized guitar) is full and satisfying. It does NOT have a case or gigbag. I have it strung with new D'Addario requinto-gauge strings. It is tuned ADGCEA.

I'm asking $95 plus actual shipping costs. These Strunals retail for between $220 and $250, so this is a good deal. Please email me directly at eightpaws (at) sbcglobal (dot) net with any questions. You can also PM me, but I don't check in as often.

Thanks! -- Tom

itsme
01-07-2012, 08:08 PM
If I hadn't just bought a Guitalele I'd be all over this. Someone's going to score on it!

kissing
01-07-2012, 08:16 PM
You may have a little difficulty tuning a 1/2 size guitar up to guitalele tuning.

Tommy B
01-08-2012, 04:58 AM
[QUOTE=kissing;839687]You may have a little difficulty tuning a 1/2 size guitar up to guitalele tuning.[/

The 1/2 size guitar is only about 19 or 20 inches in scale, so I figured it was like going from a tenor to a baritone. I used the same requinto strings on it, and it seems to work just fine. I like the bigger frets.

Tommy B
01-08-2012, 12:48 PM
And it's sold! Thanks everyone.