HD video

garyg

Reaction score
Greetings ukers, I have a videography question that I hope someone can answer. I've made a few videos with my web cam and the file sizes are around 6-10 Mb. Now I've started making some videos with my Flip HD camera and videos of about the same length 3-5 minutes, are coming in at ~200Mb which makes posting them difficult. Am I doing something wrong here, is there a camera setting that I could adjust or do something in a video editing program to reduce the file size while preserving quality? Any help would be appreciated. cheers, g2

There should be different settings on your camera. I'm not familiar with the Flip, but my Canon has MXP, which is the best quality, and then goes to a lower quality and smaller file size.

The low quality still isn't that bad but I still prefer to use the MXP. Those video's usually come out to around 400 Mb for a 4 minute video.

But to answer your question...I don't think there is a way to reduce the file size and still keep the quality you want.

You can post HD vids to YouTube and they look pretty decent. They then host the file, and you can share / embed the code for people to stream?

h264 is probably the best codec for good file size to quality ratio. What bitrate is the video? What is the audio format? What codec and file format is the Flip HD using? Are you in 720p or 1080p?

Ahhh Clemson you've got me there. I'm pretty much a point and shoot guy when it comes to video (hence the flip rather than a more sophisticated rig), but I'll try to get those specs and see if I can make adjustments. Thanks for the info. Greetings from Athens, GA.

There's a free app called Freemake Video Converter that will convert pretty much any video format into another. There are templates for Youtube etc so you can optimize your video for whatever platform you'll be using it on.

http://www.freemake.com/

Oh, if you do install this, in the Installation Options, check Parameters Settings (Advanced) instead of Quick Installation and uncheck the Install Facemoods toolbar.

Last edited:
Ahhh Clemson you've got me there. I'm pretty much a point and shoot guy when it comes to video (hence the flip rather than a more sophisticated rig), but I'll try to get those specs and see if I can make adjustments. Thanks for the info. Greetings from Athens, GA.

I was just thinking that all these file properties are going to explain the size, one way or the other. :)

Ah yes, Clemson, where our football scores look more like basketball scores, and not in a good way. Would you like to hire Kevin Steele to do.. anything? Wash your car, mow the lawn.. anything...

You know what we say, you can always tell a Clemson grad, but you can't tell em much <g>.

HAH! I went to Winthrop, because at the time Clemson only had a music minor program, and it was my major. So :p ! :)

All that money for football and basketball and no money for a music major. Why am I surprised <g>?

I have just posted a 250 meg video. There is nothing special about my broadband. In fact it is rather slow. It took about 90 minutes. You have to pick your time to upload though.

My last video was 575mb. It took about an hour. The first time I uploaded a HD movie I thought something had locked up. That was before I looked at the file size. From what I've read, I understand that it is best to send YouTube video for HD in it's native format. They have optimized their system to process videos in that format. I have a 20mbps connection. If I had standard DSL, that would mean half a day upload, and I'd probably not be uploading HD files.

Last edited:
Not sure about USA ISPs but in Canada, the ISPs throttle the upload rates to some ridiculous low rate. So downloads are quick but uploading is SLOW. Trying to upload to Vimeo, Youtube, Flickr etc is ridiculous. I do my uploading at work <cough> instead. :p

Top Bottom