PDA

View Full Version : NAMM 2012 Questions

surfink
01-08-2012, 04:41 AM
, so Besides the Taylor offerings @ NAMM this month, what else will be exciting to see and hear? Who is going? When?

ukeeku
01-08-2012, 04:53 AM
I will be there Thur-Sun covering it.
Stuff I want to see:
The new Martin line of ukes that came out last year
Taylor ukes
See if Gibson will make any more ukes
Kiwaya is changing names, wondering if they have anything new
Play some of the new Kala u-bass'
Try out the new Fishman ukulele pickups
Riptide has revamped their designs
Also the guy that designed most of the Makai ukes has split off on his own. I will find him.

that is all I can think of currently

Ken Middleton
01-08-2012, 06:00 AM
I will be there at the Ohana booth.

coolkayaker1
01-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Tim and Ken: please, being excellent at videos as you both are, snap some utubes for those of us that cannot go./ Thanks@!

Ken Middleton
01-08-2012, 07:33 AM
OK. I generally do a video of my photos. I don't usually stray out of Hall E though (acoustic hall).

KentSantaBarbara
01-08-2012, 09:35 AM
I too love to see videos of the NAMM show. Aldrine did a wonderful job last year. And i'm a little hesitant to ask, but if you don't ask you won't know, so i will put it out there and if is out of bounds then please ignore, but it would be wonderful to go to the NAMM show, and if any one has an extra ticket let me know. I'm just two hours away. Kent

hoosierhiver
01-09-2012, 03:36 AM
NAMM seems to be getting a little smaller every year. Probably related to the economy, but they could also improve the way they interact with their members and the public as well.

Dougf
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
If you go to the Saturday UU meetup, I'll be there with my new manzanita build, K'oto Jalulu #1. On Sunday I'll mostly be wandering around Hall E. Hope to see you there.

CoLmes
01-11-2012, 03:50 AM
I'll be taking pics and some video

ukeeku
01-11-2012, 03:57 AM
I am so stupidly excited at this point. ONE WEEK and I am in CA. WOOOT

salukulady
01-11-2012, 04:13 AM

I am so stupidly excited at this point. ONE WEEK and I am in CA. WOOOT
Oh crap, is that next week? Ha ha......can't wait boys, see you soon.

coolkayaker1
01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Dumb but sincere question: Why is NAMM always, it seems, In California.

All my local guitar retailers are NAMM (or, so the door sticker says), so why are they not moving it around the country every year? Convenience to use the same venue is one thing, but there are retailers across the USA.

P.S. If Eddie Van Halen is there, like this awesome video of him noodling around like he was in someone's living room in 2007, please get him on video. He's touring, and I think he's the best ukulele player out there--next to James Hill and Jake and Ken M. that is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aPAYTcE6Ao

Love that "brown sound", 5150 amp and Frankenstein ukulele.

salukulady
01-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Winter NAMM is in California I would suspect because of the close proximity to L.A. and so many of the recording studios and industry here. Summer NAMM is held every July in Nashville, Tennessee.

hoosierhiver
01-13-2012, 07:11 AM
I think NAMM really screwed up this year, they should have checked the date of Chinese New Year. I think alot of the Chinese Reps/Manufacturers will miss the show.

mikemulqueen
01-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Mike agreed-not sure why NAMM scheduled during Chinese New Year? Weird-anyway I'm really looking forward to NAMM !! I'm no stranger to the Ukulele world -I've created some awesome Ukes/Guitars (Guitar Players Editors Pick award) in the past and now I am finally designing Ukes that I would consider to to be some pretty nice instruments ! The Moku Ukulele booth will be at HALL E Booth 1317. I look forward to seeing all the Uke Players there !!
See ya!

Ken Middleton
01-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Having said I will be at the Ohana booth in Hall E, I now won't be. Illness has kept me at home, I'm afraid. My doctor told me not to go by plane and it's difficult to fly to LA without one.

If you are going to NAMM, please say hello to everyone for me. And have a great time.

I shall really miss the Jam and Bubba Gump's on Saturday.

Ronnie Aloha
01-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Ken

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be coming out this year. Please take care of yourself and we will see you next year.

Dougf
01-18-2012, 03:25 AM
Really sorry to hear it, Ken. Take care of yourself, and get well soon.

Doug

Ken Middleton
01-18-2012, 03:38 AM
Ken

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be coming out this year. Please take care of yourself and we will see you next year.

Really sorry to hear it, Ken. Take care of yourself, and get well soon.

Doug

Thank you both. See you next year.

hoosierhiver
01-18-2012, 03:55 AM
Hope it's nothing serious Ken. Get well soon.

Ken Middleton
01-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Hope it's nothing serious Ken. Get well soon.

Thanks Mike. Say hello to everyone for me at the jam.

salukulady
01-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Oh Ken, I am sorry. Mim and I will miss our British gentleman. Take care of yourself and listen to the doctors.

Ken Middleton
01-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Oh Ken, I am sorry. Mim and I will miss our British gentleman. Take care of yourself and listen to the doctors.

Thanks Sally. You and Mim have a great time.

Lori
01-18-2012, 05:57 AM
Ken,

NAMM won't be the same without you! Take good care and relax. NAMM is a pretty exhausting place to work, and you really have to be in tip top health to handle it on top of the long trip to get here. Hope to see you next year (or later this year)!

–Lori

Ken Middleton
01-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Ken,

NAMM won't be the same without you! Take good care and relax. NAMM is a pretty exhausting place to work, and you really have to be in tip top health to handle it on top of the long trip to get here. Hope to see you next year (or later this year)!

–Lori

That's nice of you to say so, Lori. And you're spot on, it certainly can be exhausting.

I'll be there next year and may well see you and other US friends later this year.

Gmoney
01-18-2012, 07:18 AM
FYI: for anyone interested (not really uke related, but see my comment at the end of this post that may just surprise you...)... Thursday night, Frontgate media is hosting a worship night featuring "Blues Counsel (http://www.rickcua.com/BluesCounsel.html)" - a stellar band composed of a few really well-known Blues & R&B artists. Even if you are NOT religious, this concert will be a stellar performance.

http://www.frontgatemedia.com/blog/index.php/2011/12/namm-2012-night-of-worship-line-up/

Blues Counsel are: Rick Cua, Bass & Vocals, Tony Hooper, Guitar, Vocals & Keys,
Tom Lane, Guitar & Vocals, Will McFarlane, Guitar & Vocals,
Tony Morra, Drums, Emedin Rivera, Percussion.

Partial credits for these fine musicians:

Emedin Rivera: Bob James, Chuck Mangione, Larry Coryell, Gato Barbieri, La Toya
Jackson, Harry Belafonte, Maxwell, Paquito De Rivera, John Lucien, 2 PBS Emmys.

Tony Morra: Steve Vai, Taylor swift, Steve Lukather, Toby Mac, Diane Warren, Amy
Grant, Kip Winger, Songs From The Neighborhood / Grammy.

Will McFarlane: Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section / Musician’s Hall Of Fame, Bonnie Raitt
/ Gold Record, Wilson Pickett, Etta James, “Bobby Blue” Bland, Toby Keith, Waylon
Jennings, Tammy Wynette, Johnny Taylor / Gold Record, 7 CCM records.

Tom Lane: Vinnie Colaiuta, Michael W. Smith, Michael English,
Matt Redman / Gold Record, Tim Hughes, Chris Tomlin, Phil Keaggy,
Don Moen / Gold & Platinum Records, Paul Baloche.

Tony Hooper: Michael W. Smith, Heather Headley, Bryan Duncan, Ceili Rain, Lindell
Cooley, Rick Cua, I Could Sing Of Your Love Forever compilation / Gold Record.

Rick Cua: The Outlaws / 2 Gold Records, Phil Keaggy, Randy Stonehill, Ceili Rain,
12 CCM records, 6 #1 singles.

[Disclosure: Will McFarlane is a personal friend; my son was named after Will. Among his many credits as mentioned above are two gold records as Lead Guitar for Bonnie Raitt (old guys like myself may remember the 1979 "No Nukes concert"), lead guitar for the Pointer Sisters during the worldwide "Fire!" tour, & was inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame back in 2008. And on the uke-related front; the popular Travelocity add from a few years back featuring the ukulele was played by none other than my buddy, Will McFarlane.]

If any of you attending NAMM 2012 make it to the concert, tell Will that Glenn Fincher says hello from Decatur, AL!

ukeeku
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
That's nice of you to say so, Lori. And you're spot on, it certainly can be exhausting.

I'll be there next year and may well see you and other US friends later this year.

Ukulele World Congress 2012?

Ken Middleton
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Ukulele World Congress 2012?

No. Sorry, Tim.

ukeeku
01-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Here is a link to the Taylor visit
http://ukeeku.com/2012/01/19/namm-2012-taylor-builders-reserve-ukulele/

chrimess
01-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi TIm,
any chance you can talk Bob or Andy into donating the floor model to the "Acoustic Challenge"?

Here is a link to the Taylor visit
http://ukeeku.com/2012/01/19/namm-2012-taylor-builders-reserve-ukulele/

KimosTherapy
01-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Having said I will be at the Ohana booth in Hall E, I now won't be. Illness has kept me at home, I'm afraid. My doctor told me not to go by plane and it's difficult to fly to LA without one.

If you are going to NAMM, please say hello to everyone for me. And have a great time.

I shall really miss the Jam and Bubba Gump's on Saturday.

Good day Ken,

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well and that you won't be able to make the trip here. I was looking forward to finally meeting you in person. Your health always comes first ... so rest up and get well soon. Thanks again for holding the Contest for NAMM tickets! I will definitely enjoy spending time there on Sunday!

Aloha,

Kimo

Ken Middleton
01-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Good day Ken,

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well and that you won't be able to make the trip here. I was looking forward to finally meeting you in person. Your health always comes first ... so rest up and get well soon. Thanks again for holding the Contest for NAMM tickets! I will definitely enjoy spending time there on Sunday!

Aloha,

Kimo

Thank you, Kimo. Have a really great time. There's a lot to see. Get there early and go to the place you most want to see first.