PDA

View Full Version : Which logo for my website? Feedback welcomed please!

ukulele4kids
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi All, I'm having a logo designed for my ukulele website ukulele4kids.com (http://ukulele4kids.com) a friend of mine has created four draft ideas to consider. It's for a kids site, so I'd like feedback on which one you'd think would be more suitable and memorable for kids. If you have any other ideas or adaptations that might be considered let me know. Thanks in advance. Just click on an image to enlarge them :)
1)32015
2)32016
3)32017
4)32018

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Ah, a chance to judge something. Whee.

Favorite: (2)
Runner-up: (3)
Anatomically impossible: (4)
Illegible: (1)

But the more I look, the more I'm drawn to (3)---because while (2) is cooler looking, (3) is more legible. Also, your color choice is great.

Best of luck with your site!

fitncrafty
01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
I like 3 then 3. I really like number 1 but you really can't tell what it is... I too love the colors.

ukulele4kids
01-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks fellow ukers. I asked for the colours to be the primary colours, in keeping with the kids theme. Keep the feedback coming please.

uke4life
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm voting for #3

ukuraleigh
01-08-2012, 11:52 AM
My vote goes to #3.

The others are very nice, but hard to read as a logo. Go with something that you don't have to explain each time.

cb56
01-08-2012, 11:53 AM
#3 then 241

stevepetergal
01-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Looks like you'll get no consensus. 1 and 2 look like ukuleles and look kid friendly and inviting. 3 looks nice. 4- Uhh, what is it? A chord graph? Kids might not catch that.

#1 or #2 for sure. I think the ukulele is the primary focus, the "U4K" is secondary.

PoiDog
01-08-2012, 12:52 PM
#2. Best blend of letters and instrument. Quite distinctive and recognizable. #3 seems a bit too generic/non-specific to me.

But that's just my thought.

OldePhart
01-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Just my $0.02 is that the #1 requirement for a logo is that it be clear, the second requirement is that it be memorable.

Only 3 and 4 meet the first criteria (and 3 could be mistaken for uyk). Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about 4 because most people aren't going to "get" that it's a play on chord diagrams and those who do are going to go, "uh, you can't do that!." Two is "almost ok" - but if I didn't know that the logo was ukulele for kids I'd never guess it to be u4k - at least not without a LOT of head scratching.

So, my vote would be for #3

ukemunga
01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
My honest 2 cents worth, and I "are" a graphic designer. Not going to pass judgement on any of your contenders, but... based on your focus and your site name you need a kid or kids in the graphic.

I see a childlike "crayon" drawing of a smiling kid or kids portrayed with the logotype. You need a visual metaphor showing kid and ukulele.

Just my honest, meant to be constructive, comment. Best with it!

ukeeku
01-08-2012, 02:42 PM
My take on it when I got my site was to have a 2 part thing.
logo is a the full name, and there is a logo part that I can use on its own.
that was just me.
Honestly not a fan of any of them. not that they are not nice, they just dont work for what you are doing.
I will stew on it and think of some ideas that might actually help. I feel your pain in trying to do this.

bonesigh
01-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Love your website and what you are doing. Hate to say it though, but, these designs are, are, how can I say this...not for you:2cents: Sorry to be so blunt.

ukuraleigh
01-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Seeing as others have taken the bold, honest move, I'll join in.

While #3 is my favorite, I really don't like any of them. I DO like the advice from both ukeeku and ukemunga above.

ukulele4kids
01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm appreciating the honest feedback that people are providing me. Please keep it coming. I want my website logo to memorable and inviting for all kids of any age. Cheers

allUkedup
01-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I like number 1 the best, but I'm with the other person, it's hard to see what it says.

also...maybe different colors? I really like the crayon drawing U4K idea.

GKK
01-08-2012, 07:08 PM
A cartoon picture of a kid holding a Uke in the air with the "Ukes 4 Kids" written in the primary colors would look nice and simple.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
01-09-2012, 12:13 AM
How about 3 crayon kids holding a uke raised in one hand with UKES like a rainbow above and 4 KIDS like a bowl below?

Great suggestions above. I like #1 but I'd like it as "U"kes "4" "K"ids so it could be read.

keep uke'in',

hammer40
01-09-2012, 05:03 AM
How about something like this? I had little notes on the sheet music/strings under Ukulele, but thought it looked to busy.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg7/2wheels4me/Ukulele/ukesm.jpg

glass
01-09-2012, 05:13 AM
I like choice number 2!

PhilUSAFRet
01-09-2012, 05:25 AM
I'd choose 1 if it was easier to make out the U4K....can he slightly alter the design to make it more legible?

Uke Whisperer
01-09-2012, 07:30 AM
I think # 1 is it. More attractive to kids and once they figure-it-out, which they would, probably faster than us "OldePharts" did, more memorable as well.
(Sorry for stealing the spelling, John).

mascompro
01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
OK here is my take.

out of the 4 of them, I would choose #2 only because it actually looks like U 4 K

#1, at first, I actually thought it said OAK. I jsut don't see the 4 at all. and, for me it is too square, for what ever reason I like a logo that is longer than it is tall. ya, I'm weird like that.
#3 I actually like, but the 4 looks like a Y. kind reminds me up the logo for the old flip wilson show ( I guess that dates me a bit)
#4 too busy, makes my eyes go crossed.

Lori
01-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Take a quick look at your competition.
http://www.ukulelekids.org/
They have a very cute, yet descriptive logo.
Think about what you want this logo to do for you. How will it be used? Will there be more type used next to it every time (to explain the U4K)? Will it look good on your business card? How about a banner at a ukulele festival?
A few comments based on my many years of graphic design experience:
1. Using yellow is difficult unless it is outlined because it doesn't have good contrast against white. Consider the color of your background.
2. Make sure it is easy to read and understand. People will not work hard to understand your logo. They will just skip over it if it doesn't communicate quickly. Show the logo to a stranger, and see if they can understand it.
3. Show the logos to your target market... children and their parents. Show them options that are more diverse than the ones you currently have. Try one with text added to explain the title beyond U4K, and maybe one with a cartoon mascot (maybe an animal playing a uke). I am a big fan of market research.

You want this logo to be the identity of your business. Make sure it communicates a friendly, yet professional feel.
It is not easy, but it is very important. Good Luck. A good graphic designer will be able to guide you toward something appropriate. Don't fall in love with your own concepts too early, and end up limiting your choices when your graphic designer can offer you more effective options.
–Lori

Captain_Lovehandles
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I think I'd try to combine the letters into a single graphic like this. Just a quick suggestion. It looks more like a logo you could pick up and play a song on.

ukulelepuapua
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I would say #3 as well. You may have to change the colors on your actual website for it to fit in correctly though.

Also like the one *lovehandles* made, very nice.

ukulele4kids
01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Work on my new logo is developing with the help of 'ukemunga' the creator of the ukulele chord chart (http://www.ukechordchart.com/), it's without doubt worth downloading. Take a look at the logo in progress by viewing ukulele4kids.com

connor013
01-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Another vote for 3. Can't quite figure it out, but it seems reminiscent of (my) childhood. I think I had a track like that for my cars.

fitncrafty
01-10-2012, 03:01 PM
I think I'd try to combine the letters into a single graphic like this. Just a quick suggestion. It looks more like a logo you could pick up and play a song on.

Love that captain!!!

ukulele4kids
01-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi Captain, that's a cool idea. Thanks.

hammer40
01-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Work on my new logo is developing with the help of 'ukemunga' the creator of the ukulele chord chart (http://www.ukechordchart.com/), it's without doubt worth downloading. Take a look at the logo in progress by viewing ukulele4kids.com

Looks great with the 3 kids, good job.

musiccityuker
01-11-2012, 02:32 AM
Gotta be #2... its aspect ratio lends itself to the page and it's a good look.

Hippie Dribble
01-11-2012, 02:46 AM

All power to the Captain. His is the best idea yet. He's done visually what I was hoping to express in words, only MUCH BETTER. My vote was for #2 but with some tweaking to make the 'U' look more 'U-like'!!! The single graphic is simple and effective...sheesh, anyone would think he did it professionally or something...he he.

Your site is great Clive and a real treat to have a browse around. Look forward to the end product mate.

stevepetergal
01-11-2012, 02:52 AM
I would ask Captain_Lovehandles for permission to use his.

Franke
01-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Its really nice but to make it more attractive for kids you need to add more colors and cartoon characters in it.