New Rockwell Bladerunner

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has tried to use this new saw for any small lutherie related jobs? Want to build a few kits, maybe some cigar box instruments, and wonder if it would be worth $149. I don't really have any other large tools except for a drill press. I have some dremel tools, and have done a little gunstock work.

New tool to me. My first inclination is that it is going to be rather narrow in it's usage. I do like the inverted pressure foot and guide rollers. There did not seem any way to tilt the blade and certainly no way to do compound angle cuts. So, depends on how you see yourself using this tool and what space you have available.. For that money, you might be better served finding a used 10" - 12" multi speed band saw or a good scroll saw.

Depending on your needs, you might find a selection of Japanese pull saws will do everything you need.

Just my $ 0.02

Seems ok ..it's good for cutting inside circles, a bandsaw can't do that without cutting and rewelding the blade..the table angles so it's ok for standard dovetails..but to me it's just like a Bosch jigsaw mounted upside down under a board.

As Timbuck says it kind of looks like a jigsaw mounted upside down on a small router table. Saw one at Lowes this weekend.

Was thinking of a band saw and a rotary spiral saw with a router set up. Have drill press for rotary sander, hand finishing sander, and an old drill press accessory for my old hand drill to convert to fret press. ???

Really depends on what you are looking to accomplish with a saw. A bandsaw does heaps of things, but it usually means getting a good one to do all the things you think it should be able to do. My first bandsaw was sorely laking in the do everything dept. Unfortunately it's not until you have a bit of experience with them that you get to know what works and what doesn't....short of dropping a heap of $$$ on a really good one. Not usually what most people want to do.

Thanks for feedback. May have to take a harder look at Rockwell re: smoothness of the cut, fine tooth blades, etc. I hear what you are saying about a cheap band saw.

1/11: Been getting a lot of feedback from CigarBoxNation. Consensus seems to be that it does many things, none of them well. I already saw one on Craigslist. He bought it in December for $179, selling it this month fr $100.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread because I'm thinking of picking up one of these little dumaflotchies for general light DIY tasks around the house. Anybody using this creature for any luthiery tasks? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Top Bottom