Martin 5k copy by kiwaya

It's about $1,000.00 less than a new Martin 5K. As for looks, I think the Martin is nicer.

It still is a copy....no matter how nice....crazy to pay that price for an imitation.....

I've only seen pics of the new high end Martins and each one I've seen it looks like they forgot to finish the bridge. I have a Kiwaya kts-4 and it is flawless. I may be wrong about the bridges on the new Martins, I'm hoping I am.

Which would you rather have, this instrument or a Martin SO? One is a very nice copy. The other is a really lousy Mexican made copy, poorly executed with substandard parts, with the Martin name on it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why the complete Kiwaya ( Luna ) line of ukes is not available in the U.S. I see some ukes on the japanese Kiwaya site that are not available here.
There is a black soprano that I like.

I wish they'd have used abalone on the sound hole ring. It has gorgeous wood though! Elderly Instruments has a used reissue Martin 5K that is just a little bit less than the new Kiwaya. The one on the Elderly site has nowhere NEAR the flame to the koa that the Kiwaya has. Based on my KTS-7, I would guess that the Kiwaya is better made and better sounding than the new Martin. Admittedly, I haven't ever played one of the new high-end Martins, although I've seen one of the 5Ks in person. But my KTS-7 is a GREAT instrument!

Yes, the koa choice of kiwaya looks premium

I've heard that it could be distributed in usa under the kiwaya 5k trade mark, any information about that ?

wow, Bruno. That's something else.

I'm really happy with the sound of the Kiwayas I've played - I think they're top drawer. This, I can't afford, but what a great looking uke!

I think I'd probably have to confine myself to their more basic models.

I've been very happy with my KTS-7, which was right around $1000. If the more basic models play anything like the KTS-7, they ARE top drawer!

I've been thinking of new Martin ukuleles as copies of vintage Martin ukuleles. Does anyone know if Martin uses their old plans, molds, and methods for new ukes being made in PA? No reason that stuff shouldn't have been safely stored away in a basement since the seventies, yeah?

The Mainland is a copy of a Martin....and good enough for me...why pay more...

Stan , you have to try a Kiwaya. My Mainland is nice but my KTS-4 is awesome in comparison. Excellent Uke , a vintage Martin clone , it is the Uke that Martin should be building.

I've been thinking of new Martin ukuleles as copies of vintage Martin ukuleles. Does anyone know if Martin uses their old plans, molds, and methods for new ukes being made in PA? No reason that stuff shouldn't have been safely stored away in a basement since the seventies, yeah?

One difference on the new Martin ukes is there being a glued and screwed on dovetail section applied to the neck before assembly. The originals, of course,....had a hand chisled dovetail carved out of the neck heal.

.....this was shown on one of the Martin Videos.

BTW,...... the older Martin 5K ukes never seemed to have a visual grade (5A range curly koa) of wood that many of the custom builders search out today, or at least i've never seen an example that had 5A wood. The abalone coverage is nice though.....

I look at the 5A curly koa wood and inlays on my Moore Bettah soprano and drool :drool:, ......then play it and cry because it sounds so sweet. :uhoh: The deeper MB soprano body certainly is a factor.

............. then scratch my head and wonder how the MB is so affordable? :confused:

Last edited:
Top Bottom