Poinciana - Bossa Nova Mya-Moe Reso Uke - Gerald Ross

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
Here's a nice little Bossa-Nova-ish tune from the 1950's - Poinciana. Played on my Mya-Moe Tenor Resonator uke. Backing tracks are a a brand new Kala U-Bass and a 1993 Heritage Johnny Smith arch-top guitar.

Gerald, once again you have amazed me.
You should make a dvd tutorial with a few of your swing tunes.
See you in Reno !!!!

Thanks SailingUke! See you soon in Reno!

BTW - the audio on the video has NOT been processed in any way. No EQ, no compression, no reverb. You're hearing the sound of the external mic on the video camera. The accompaniment was pre-recorded by me, dumped to my ipod and fed into a guitar amp which should have been pointed more directly at the microphone, I wish it were louder and clearer... but so it goes.

Hi Lori,

Thanks. I got the solid Acacia Fretted U - Bass. Lot's of fun!

I don't have a dedicated bass amp. But it sounds fantastic through my Fishman Loudbox 100 - a dedicated acoustic guitar amp.

Last edited:
Very nice. I like that the backing track is more subdued, it let's the great tone of that resonator shine through.

I don't have a dedicated bass amp. But it sounds fantastic through my Fishman Loudbox 100 - a dedicated acoustic guitar amp.

Oooo! I was scrolling down just to thank you for the lovely rendition ... so Thank You ... then this remark caught my eye.
I have been considering the Loudbox Artist for a PA/Acoustic/Bass amp. You've had good results playing bass through the Loudbox?
Again, sorry to distract from your playing Poinciana. I loved the restrained elegance ... on a resonator!!!
Best wishes,
Bob

@gokidd

I have the Loudbox 100. The Artist and the Loudbox 100 are two completely different amps. I've never tried an Artist.

Yes, the Kala U-Bass sounds fantastic throught the Loudbox 100 - CAVEAT! - I've only used this combination in a studio setting, for recording and at lower volumes. Does the Loudbox 100 work beautifully with the Kala U-Bass in a performing, higher volume setting? Don't know....

A friend of mine who is both a ukulele and ukulele bass player uses these amps in performance:
Roland Micro Cube Bass http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroCubeBsRX/ - the amp MUST be mic'ed.
Gallen Krueger MB150S-112 Combo http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB150S112/ - Sounds the best out of two

Last edited:
Yes, the Kala U-Bass sounds fantastic throught the Loudbox 100 - CAVEAT! - I've only used this combination in a studio setting, for recording and at lower volumes. Does the Loudbox 100 work beautifully with the Kala U-Bass in a performing, higher volume setting? Don't know....

Many thanks, again, Gerald! I also look forward to hearing you live in Reno.

Top Bottom