New Guitar Day

allanr

Reaction score
So... I decided that I'm ready to add two more strings, and 9 more frets to my repertoire :) .

And this is how I did it:

Fender1a.jpg

Takes getting used to, but I absolutely love this baby:

Fender Strat Standard HSS, Arctic White, brand new.

Congratulations, Allan!
I have a Stratocaster like that with the HSS pickup configuration -- lots of tonal choices without adding any stomp boxes!
Mine's Olympic White!
Enjoy.

Nice. I have the same Strat. Just like the one in Wayne's World. "No Stairway? Denied!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=FOt3r_aNNxE

Be careful as GAS is just as debilitating. For absolute playability, my electric guitar favorite is my Peavey EVH Wolfgang. Sweet player if you find a good deal. Sorry, too soon?

Enjoy.

Thanks guys. Playing this through a Fender Vibro Champ lets me get nearly any kind of sound I can imagine without any pedals.

Funny thing is, I don't have even the slightest urge to add another guitar. With the uke, I was hooked from the moment I bought my first one. I'm hoping that my only acquisition affliction will remain UAS!

Nice I think I have that same guitar, I haven't played it in a while and was thinking of selling it for another ukulele, I might even sell my yamaha FG 400 I think it is but not sure if it is worth it. It is in great shape though so hopefully I could get top dollar for it....

Update:

The beautiful Strat is gone, but I remain afflicted.

I found the Stratocaster to be really heavy, as well as big. Especially, coming from a uke background. So I returned it to the store, and exchanged it for a Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Special with its 24 inch scale and lighter weight. I like it much better. It jut seems to fit. Has dual humbucker pickups, but they are each coil selectable, so can be played like single-coils or HBs.

fender_mustang2.jpg

OH, WHAT a HEINOUS ERROR!!!!
Nahhhh, just kidding.
Good for you! Looks really good, too. D'addario 11s -- would sound yummy!

Every 3 to 5 years I have a hankering to change electric guitars.

First one was an Ibanez back in the 80's. All about speed.

In the Early 90's it was a Yamaha Pacifica. Not the super cheap ones they make now. Back then They had a full range and some really nice options. It was a great guitar for any gig where you had to play a whole bunch of styles. It's very rare to even find these older ones on Ebay :(

Next was a mexican Fender strat. Red. It was a good guitar. Light and comfortable. Lots of different tones. But it just lacked a certain sparkle to the sound.

Next was a Gibson Les Paul Special. TV Yellow. I really wanted to love this guitar. The color, the P90 pickups, loved the way it felt. But the thing just was just a nightmare. Even after a professional setup the intonation was just all over the map. If you were in tune at the nut, you were horribly out by the 4th or 5th fret.

Currently playing a Sterling. It's Ernie Ball's import line. Put together in a factory but inspected and setup by Ernie Ball people. It's another guitar great for when you need to play several styles. But it's a bit noisy.

OH, WHAT a HEINOUS ERROR!!!!
Nahhhh, just kidding.
Good for you! Looks really good, too. D'addario 11s -- would sound yummy!

LOL
You're not the first Stratomaniac to tell me that! Thanks for the string tip. These come strung with 9-42s from the factory, which most sources say are much too light for a short scale. I was thinking of going up to 10s. Do you think that the 11s would be more difficult for a noob like me?

Switched out the 9s today and replaced them with 10s. They do feel better. I have to wait for the wife to go out before plugging in and among up though ;-)

Top Bottom