Singing and playing

ukuloko

Reaction score
I know this has been asked a lot, but I looked through the threads and none of them really answered my specific question.

When learning a new song, would you recommend I master the strum pattern I want to play first and then add the singing, or should I just start with a simple strum and sing at the same time, and when I get more competent complicate things up.

I would think the former would work better but it's a longer, more painful process, but then I feel with the latter I'd probably get stuck with the basic strum and not progress much further.

I'm not the best singer in the world (or on my block, for that matter), but I think that when I do try to sing and play a new song, I USUALLY get the singing part down first, using a basic strum, and then make the strum more complex once I've gotten the hang of the singing. The singing comes harder for me, I believe. Also, I think that there''s nothing wrong with sticking to the simpler pattern while you're singing, and putting the more complex bits AROUND the singing, if that makes sense. Of course, that depends a lot on the song and the style of music.

Learning the strum (or picking) pattern first works best for me. I consider myself proficient with a strum or picking pattern when I can play it about 20% (and that's a guess number) faster than I will be singing it. If I have to think about what I'm doing with an instruments, I am not able to do a good job of the vocal. I'm not much good at multitasking :)

I'm ok with singing, but it's really hard if I haven't memorized the lyrics and haven't practiced the chord changes. Trying to read words, remember chords, and sing at the same time a bear. Strums easier with proficiency at chord changes.

I learn the chords first, strum second and the lyrics last.
I find humming the melody makes learning and hearing the chords easier.

These are great tips thanks a lot!

Hopefully soon I'll be able to post a video of my progress :p

I'm still pretty new to uke but, similar to Sailinguke, for me chords first, strum pattern next then maybe humm along and finally I attempt singing.

It depends how "new" the song is. If it's an old song I heard before and maybe know a few words I usually try learning both together. With really new songs it really works best to learn the instrument part first. As you can then accompany yourself singing later.

Top Bottom