Ever dent your ukulele? share stories..

I put my uke down near the stool I was sitting on to play drums on Rock Band, and I was trying to do fancy moves with the sticks and I drop one and it hit my Fluke and made a small dent close to the sound hole. there's also a few other dents here and there from not caring much anymore after I dented it once haha

also my first uke the lanikai lu-21 is all dented up at the headstock and around the sides from being dropped by me and other people.. :\

The Worst dents I've ever seen were on my old Brownsville. It was dropped on the pavement leaving a deep dent in the corner, on the neck, and also the lower body of it. The crazy thing was, after I had gotten all those dents, I hopped a fence and it dropped while I was just getting over and there wasn't a scratch on it. It only had 2 broken strings.

haha funny. but yeah dude i dropped mine at 3am in the morning. and i yelled out **** some words. ahhaha really loud and my mother was liek WHAT HAPPENED? hahaha..

not to your k1 right....RIGHT!?
nah, but i'd dive for my uke if someone dropped it. i have no dents, i try to keep it out only if im playing, otherwise keep it in the case so it wont get bumped

sadly.. it was my k-1 tenor.. my next vid ill show you. ahha its not tha tbad. but still you knwo what i mean? its my baby. haha yumin got hurt (thats her name) haha

gahhhd i was changing strings.. dude the ironic part is i just got a koolau case to protect it more efficently..

what kinda uke do you have? and good job keeping it nice and dent free

Realisticly my Kala is in near mint shape, but if something happened to it i would not be heartbroken. My opinion on the whole skratches and dents and such on instruments is that it give the said instrument character. i have an old bass that is stickered and dented and skratched up with god knows what, but you know what? it plays exactly the same it did the day i got it.

its one of those i would rather someone be able to see that i play my instruments and such than it looking mint. but i understand that people dont want a dent on their $1xxx item. Take a look at Willy Nelson's guitar and think about dents.

1353435231_5986c35b52_o.jpg

A wet towel and a hot iron. It's really that simple. It's how I remove dents from gunstocks. Ric

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/aastockrefinish.htm

"After stripping the stock, iron it. Take a hand towel or a similar rag and get it damp, then get out mama's clothes iron and press that stock. Keep the damp cloth between the iron and the wood, move the iron around so you don't overdo it in any one spot, and be careful not to gouge the stock with the pointed end of the iron.

You can iron out just about any dent and most gouges in this way. This means you don't have to try to sand away a bunch of wood around dents and flaws and possibly lose checkering and/or end up with a low spot in your stock - instead, you just raise the wood right back up where it belongs.

In cases where the old finish is compatible with the new finish, some folks prefer to iron the stock before removing the old finish, and then carefully sand the old finish off using 220 grit paper. This allows the old finish to act as a filler, working the powdered finish into the gaps that exist in the grain of the wood. This may work well, but I have never tried it."

My first tenor uke was a Kauwela...I was leaving Kapono's at Aloha Tower (pretty drunk) opened up the case to take it out and it fell and actually BOUNCED off the cement...haha...surpisingly, it didn't really take too much damage.

My Pono's and my Ko'Aloha all have a few minor dings (mostly along the edges)...as long as it's not a major gouge, it doesn't bother me

My Kamaka has a few tiny dings on the sides, but you can't notice them unless you hold it up to the light. I doubt they even go through the finish and into the wood. Fingernail scratches on the top are a lot more common. I should invest in a clear pickguard-thingy like Aldrine has.

My guitars take much more abuse. I've had an old crappy case fail on me at the top of a flight of stairs, and my Telecaster fell all the way down. It was still in tune!

My Kamaka has a few tiny dings on the sides, but you can't notice them unless you hold it up to the light. I doubt they even go through the finish and into the wood. Fingernail scratches on the top are a lot more common. I should invest in a clear pickguard-thingy like Aldrine has.

My guitars take much more abuse. I've had an old crappy case fail on me at the top of a flight of stairs, and my Telecaster fell all the way down. It was still in tune!

I also have one of those tiny dings from taking my uke out from its case and the top suddenly closing on top of it with the metal part that keeps the case locked hitting it. You could hardly see the mark but i almost cried when it happened :(

This thread gives me a little comfort. :(

last night I noticed that the clip on tuner left a little indentation on my baby Kamaka when I forgot to take it off after tuning it. I just changed strings and I usually play about 2 - 3 hours a night. I leave the clip on tuner on the headstock (not a good idea) for spot tuning since they are new strings and easily need re-tuning. when I was done, I put my Kamaka in its case and closed it with the tuner still clipped. I guess the case applied more pressure digging the tuner into the headstock. Now there is a little dent in the finish.

This brings up an interesting question. Does anyone know if Kamaka does refinishing of the gloss for it's old instruments as part of it's repair? I'm just wondering down the road when all the signs of love would start to show on it's finish and I want to hang it up with a fresh glossy finish or with signs of love.

My favorite ukulele, which is a Kala, is plenty dented up. Poor thing.

I play it in a room full of children everyday, so I suppose it's an occupational hazard.

The worst yet was when someone threw one of those toy telephones (remember the phone with the eyes that would move up and down when you pulled it along on the string?) and it made direct contact with the upper left side of my uke. Dang phone!

my very first uke, my leolani, fell out of my case onto the cement when i forgot to zip it up. some scrapes on the rear binding and a nice dent in the corner of the headstock. still my favorite sounding uke to date, but i decided to keep that one as my autograph uke now.

my koa pili koko just recently cracked its soundboard. why, you ask? because my dumbass cared more about presentation and decoration than preserving a delicate solid bodied instrument by keeping it in its case with the humidifier. its been kinda dry here in san diego, and the wood started to shrink. now the frets stick out the side of the fretboard and feel uncomfortable to play and i have a crack going from the bottom of the instrument to the bridge on the soundboard. buwisit!

this is when i decided that i will no longer buy higher end acoustic instruments. hahaha. im a little too careless sometimes with my stuff.

if I get a nicer uke the first thing I would buy is a new computer chair. one without arms. since that is the only place I play my uke atm (well there and my dads house) I have banged it against the arms multiple times and have one nice gouge on the front binding area (if I had binding) right where my forarm rests so that is anoying. owell.

Top Bottom