Jake Shimabukuro

allUkedup

Reaction score
So would everyone here consider Jake the best (read, most talented) ukulele player in the world?

well I can only speak for myself, but Jake is my favorite player. I'm not gonna say he's the best because there are many extremely good people out there (Kalei Gamiao), who I think rival his skill level. But I grew up around his music and he definitely (along with others like Braddah Iz) inspires me the most as an ukulele player.

Exposure does not always equal talent. Besides what is best is really a matter of taste. When I see what Kimo Hussey does, I can't help but think that he is really good, but of course he uses other techniques. I think Jake is like a Steve Vai of the uke world, a virtuoso.

That's like comparing classical piano masters and expecting people to agree on who is best. They are different, they are talented. They have all achieved a certain mastery of the instrument and choose to use it in their own unique manner. "Best" is relative when one can do whatever he or she so desires with a particular instrument.

Does there have to be just one? I like Jake just fine, but my favorite ukulelists are Herb Ohta Sr. and the late John King. I'd find it impossible to say one or the other is/was the "most talented" player.

Depends. I prefer Aldrine to Jake (b/c he sings as well). I just discovered that Canadien guy. I forget his name Hill something. tthought it was John king but Jraney said the late john king so that isn't him.

awesome! just wanted to get opinion from everyone and what your viewpoint of a most talented ukulele player was.

Depends. I prefer Aldrine to Jake (b/c he sings as well). I just discovered that Canadien guy. I forget his name Hill something. tthought it was John king but Jraney said the late john king so that isn't him.

You're thinking of James Hill, who is very much still alive :)

Yes, lots of amazing talents out there. I think Jake Shimabukuro is a once in a generation genius. He plays every genre with not only great virtuosity and facility, but with unparalleled musicality. You can feel what is happening inside him when he plays, and in nearly every kind of music.
The Oscar Peterson of the ukulele.

First, there ain't no such thing as a "best" ukulele player, just like there ain't no such thing as the "best" ukulele in the world.

I've heard and met Jake and he is an awesome player and a really decent person too. I am a big fan of James Hill because he really pushes the envelope artistically and creatively. I also really dig Taimane Gardner. She is really good already, and getting better all the time. Exciting to watch as well. She is definitely one to watch.

Definitely not the best in my opinion. Very talented? Yes. However when you throw players like James Hill or Abe Lagrimas Jr. in the discussion its hard to consider Jake the best. Not to mention the many player a lot of us have never heard of. Considering that Haole John has only just discovered James Hill, who is a prominent figure in the modern ukulele culture, its not hard to believe that there many amazing performers that fly under the radar.

Here are my thoughts in a previous thread.

"I agree with you to an extent haole. It does come of as easy listening, however I think that might be the nature of his writing as much as it is the choice of musicians. A lot of his recorded music has a very layed back, easy listening sound. Both full band recordings as well as some of his solo pieces. It is exactly that which i had to get used to when listening to his music. Wish On My Star is good example. The band at least offers the oppurtunity for interesting instrumentation is such songs where Jake may not be able to fill out the sound as much. I, at times, get the same "easy listening" vibe from Brittni Piaiva. And less often but still mentionable, Aldrine. They all can border on the Contemporary Acoustic Pop line from time to time, and that is a style I'm not too keen on. But despite it, I still listen to and respect their music and playing.

Also, in both solo and his band excursions, Jake has a tendency to go over the top in the "lead" arena. Sometimes going out of his range of abilities to solo over a piece. A good example is in the Equator video. The song has a jazz fusion vibe to which I don't think his soloing is appropriate. It's as though he has to try too hard to create leads that ultimately end up ineffective to my ears. He is a good lead player in a pop or rock context, perhaps even classical at times. His jazz lead playing, however, leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. Where as players like Abe Lagrimas, Benny Chong, and Lyle Ritz for example, have the necessary musical vocabulary to compliment the more complex jazz progressions.

None of what I said is meant to detract from my opinion of them as good musicians, and my not be the opinion of others. I understand that fully. They are just mere observations of mine. I have some about all artists I listen to, which again, are not meant to be attacks on the artist."

Everyone is a good player :)

To stay on topic, I would say everyone has their own play style.
Jake - All rounder
Kalei - Flamenco-ish
Abe - Jazz
Aldrine - Vocals
etc etc, so everyone has their strong points :)

Sebastian Dufour of Small World Project doesn't get nearly enough credit for his unbelievable playing. I love Jake for his innovation, but I believe that Sebastian has taken it to a new level.

Btw, who like me, wishes that these ukulele albums would be all ukulele? I absolutely love seeing Jake live bc it's just him, but I can't listen to some of his CDs with the accompanying instruments that make the music sound like elevator music. All I want/need is the uke!

Btw, who like me, wishes that these ukulele albums would be all ukulele? I absolutely love seeing Jake live bc it's just him, but I can't listen to some of his CDs with the accompanying instruments that make the music sound like elevator music. All I want/need is the uke!

I know exactly what you mean. While I generally enjoy the ukulele no matter what it's accompanied by, I like it best as a solo instrument.

Sebastian Dufour of Small World Project doesn't get nearly enough credit for his unbelievable playing. I love Jake for his innovation, but I believe that Sebastian has taken it to a new level.

BIG TIME! I want to hear the beautiful music the uke can make BY ITSELF! I don't need tons of other stuff with it...even though the uke does make it sound all better. I want the uke and the uke alone!

+1

Did you ever listen to Troy Fernandez's album? Pure uke stuff, and his music always make me feel happier.

I don't care who is "the best" , argue or even talk about it is nonsense, especially we're all reading in internet now.
Put a talented musician's name up to another doesn't make him better.

BIG TIME! I want to hear the beautiful music the uke can make BY ITSELF! I don't need tons of other stuff with it...even though the uke does make it sound all better. I want the uke and the uke alone!

That's understandable, and I too appreciate the beauty of a solo uke. However, I get irritated with it also. I find myself itching for music in which the uke participates in the discussion within the piece, not where the song is crafted for the sake of displaying the ukulele. James Hill really accomplished that with last two albums. The uke plays an important and unique role in the songs outside of just being strummed along to accompany the vocals. Yet the songs arent uke-centric compositions, where the ukulele defines the piece. The ukulele shares the song with the other instruments, instead of just being backed by them. That's not to say there aren't any stellar uke instrumentals, ode to a frozen boot and assam/like a bird come to mind.

Last edited:
allanr pretty much hit it on the spot!! Nobody is "the best," everyone plays differently and has their own style, but I think Jake, Aldrine, Troy Fernandez, James Hill, the list could go on and on, all bring their own style and talent to the table which make them marvelous in their own right :D

Top Bottom