laquering over paint/permanent marker

meggles

Reaction score
Hi all,

brand new here!

i got my uke last week and i took it to a gig and got it signed, i don't want the signatures to come off so i was wondering if anyone could recommend a lacquer to put over them?

will re-lacquering affect it?
it's only a cheap one but still, i want it to be usable!

please note i'm in australia so some of the awesome sounding lacquers from america might not be available to me!

thank you in advance

xo meggles

The solvent in lacquer will probably make the ink run, you'll have to use something that won't dissolve the ink.

Really depends on what it was signed with, but there aren't many things people normally use that are really all that permanent. Quality lacquer available locally is Mirotone. It's what most all Aussie luthiers use on their instruments. We use it the old fashioned way of getting it in a 4 litre tin and another can of thinners, but they make it in a pressure pack now, so it's relatively simple for even a novice to get a coat of it on something. Whether or not it will stuff up the sig is anyones guess.

If you can try the same marker on something else to test it out then that would be my recommendation.

Amanda Palmer?

Also, I echo the idea of whatever you try to use, attempt it on a test surface first.

Now, this is probably going to sound pretty ghetto, but if it's a cheap-o uke, then how about just some cellophane tape?

you will need to use a spray lacquer instead of a brushed on the signed area. this way you wont be dragging across the marker pen. maybe use something like plasticote over just the signed areas first (masked off) then use a decent brushed lacquer for the rest. it will also need to be oil based which is the hard part, a water based lacquer will make the ink run.

If it's a cheap uke and the autographs are that valuable to you, buy a new cheap uke and hang this one up on the wall. If you're spending just as much to preserve the autographs, ya might as well put that towards a uke. :p

Really depends on what it was signed with, but there aren't many things people normally use that are really all that permanent. Quality lacquer available locally is Mirotone. It's what most all Aussie luthiers use on their instruments. We use it the old fashioned way of getting it in a 4 litre tin and another can of thinners, but they make it in a pressure pack now, so it's relatively simple for even a novice to get a coat of it on something. Whether or not it will stuff up the sig is anyones guess.

If you can try the same marker on something else to test it out then that would be my recommendation.

Thanks so much for the information. They signed in Sharpie marker, it comes off if I rub my finger over it, so I'm avoiding that!

Mirotone looks awesome. I've emailed them although I don't know how much help they'll be able to give me, looking at the Pre-catalysed Lacquers, fingers crossed they can help me!

you will need to use a spray lacquer instead of a brushed on the signed area. this way you wont be dragging across the marker pen. maybe use something like plasticote over just the signed areas first (masked off) then use a decent brushed lacquer for the rest. it will also need to be oil based which is the hard part, a water based lacquer will make the ink run.

I think the Plastikote Industrial Clear Acrylic spray might work, not sure if it's water based or not though.
Thanks for your help!

If it's a cheap uke and the autographs are that valuable to you, buy a new cheap uke and hang this one up on the wall. If you're spending just as much to preserve the autographs, ya might as well put that towards a uke. :p

I've thought about that but I really want to preserve the sigs anyway, wouldn't want someone taking it off the wall and ruining them!

Lacquer will dissolve Sharpie ink. So will alcohol. You should try a sample first to see what works. You could also mist on some really light and dry coats until you had enough of a build to hit it with a final coat on top.

I saw Amanda, Neil and JAA when they came here to Vancouver in November. I was really impressed with Jane Austen Argument.
I had brought an unfinished spruce top for AFP and Neil to sign (I was going to build a "This machine kills the machine" uke), but the line was far too long and I would have missed the train home. Hopefully she'll be back. I still have the top.

Tape would yellow. You are right. Didn't think that through.

What about epoxy or some other kind of resin? You'd just need a thin layer over the signatures.

I'm in the process of applying lacquer in my first uke build, so I'll play around with a sharpie and some scraps in the shop.

Good luck!

What about epoxy or some other kind of resin? You'd just need a thin layer over the signatures.

I'm in the process of applying lacquer in my first uke build, so I'll play around with a sharpie and some scraps in the shop.

Good luck!

Currently looking at getting Z-Poxy and seeing how that goes.

If you could have a play around that would be so super awesome! Let me know how it goes :)

The JAA are so cool, I have a ridiculous photo of them with my uke, they also signed it :)

Let me know how that experimenting goes and if you find a solution be sure to tell me!:D

Use an iPad screen film

Top Bottom