Hi I need help !!! My ukulele has problems...

dripx7

Reaction score
Hi !!! I just recently received my MK-T ukulele today.. it looks and plays great but when i hit the 7th and 8th fret of my E and A string, the sound is exactly the same... i put it on side ways to see if the 8th fret is somehow problematic and i think i see that it has a small hump but it could be my imagination ! what should i do ?!!? i really want to start playing the ukulele and it bothers me so much that it has this problem ! i even just recently ordered a set of aquila strings for it....

Aw, sorry to hear about your problem :( my only thought would be to return it, and explain your problem to the company or individual you purchased it from. Since you only received it today, you should be able to get a new one, or a refund right?

Are you sure it has been tuned correctly?

I've got the same problem with my new banjo uke. As far as I know, the problem is either that the seventh fret is to low, or the eighth fret is a little high. Either would cause the string to rest on the eighth fret, thus sounding an F when trying to fret the seventh. I'm not sure sure what actions to take to remedy this problem just yet, so this thread with help me also.

The uke sounds to have an high uneven 8th fret and the neck may be back bowed....did you get one from someone who set it up? Return it to the seller or dealer for a replacement....should have never been sold that way and it tells me they didn't even check it before shipment with a problem that obvious....

If you're talking about a Makala MK-T, I'd exchange it and hope for the next one to come with better factory setup. If you're very handy with tools, you could try leveling the frets yourself. But the retailer really should have at least checked. I'm guessing most people that buy this uke probably don't play anything past the 5th fret.

Put a straight edge on the fretboard. All frets should be touching it. That will tell you if you have a fret not seated properly. If thats the problem, bring it back.

Not to worry

This is not a big deal. If a string sounds the same when depressed at two different frets, the only thing it can possibly be, is a fret height problem. In your case, either the seventh fret is depressed or the eighth is raised on the lower portion. With a new instrument, you should be able to take it to a luthier and be reimbersed for the cost of the adjustment/repair, by the manufacturer (although it shouldn't be expensive). The other option is to send it back. It'll be fine.

Put a straight edge on the fretboard. All frets should be touching it. That will tell you if you have a fret not seated properly. If thats the problem, bring it back.

This is the best test. Most likely it is an easily fixed issue. The dealer should take care of it or exchange the instrument.
It is not an uncommon problem for lesser expensive instruments, so if you can get reimbursed for a setup/repair you will be better off.

Thanks for your replies guys ! It is most likely the height problem since i doubt that it would be the strings since it already had strings on them . I am currently contacting the seller and he's cooperating , i would've loved to get one from mgm but sadly i was too late , he isn't in ebay for the time being

REALLY!?!?!?! I was searching on google and everyone said that he was gone for now.... AHHH T-T man if i knew this earlier...

He's not on ebay, but he is at Hawaii Music Supply! They ship worldwide, and the guy that does the setups is MGM-trained.

LOL, like 50 people replying the same thing at the same time. :)

Top Bottom