Who does good Uke set ups in the northeast?

UkueBass23

Reaction score
I think I might want to have the new Uke set up. Can anyone recommend a good set up person in the PA, NY, NJ area to do a set up?

Thanks gang.

Ok let's try again. Who does a great set up anywhere? New (to me) KoAloha plays really nicely but is 20 cents sharp almost right off the bat at the first fret. I am going to put new strings on it but am wondering if the bridge is high. Didn't take long to get the friction tuners in tune but the rest of the tuning does not seem right for such a beautiful instrument. any ideas for a setup man/woman?

Thanks gang.

Go to Frets.com and learn to do it yourself . I've been doing it for a while now , it is well worth learning and not as hard as you imagine. IMHO. Do a search here and you will find alot of info.

Good point Pete! I am just nervous because I don't want to mess anything up on this instrument, which is really awesome. I think because it has been in a case for a while and probably not played much, it needs a little bump to get it going. Love, LOVE the feel of it, but the intonation issues really bother me.

Hello

You said "KoAloha plays really nicely but is 20 cents sharp almost right off the bat at the first fret". This sounds like the nut slots are cut too high. A quick way to test is to tune each string at the first fret (easy if you have a chromatic tuner), and then see if the note on the second fret is right on or sharp. If the nut slot is too high, the second-fret note should be right on if you tune the first-fret note.

And you *can* lower the nut slots yourself, but if you too far, you get buzz on open strings. Besides, an expert luthier can spot other problems (such as lifting frets, warped neck, bowed neck, saddle too high etc) so a visit to a good luthier is worth your time and money.

Cheers
Chief

http://www.marksimonguitars.com/

Mark has done work on my Martin guitars and used to work on the Chinery collection.

PO Box 6095
Bridgewater, NJ 08807

Hours by appointment only

(908) 218-9229

I'll also second Tim Teel (he is, after all, Director of Instrument Design for the Martin Guitar Co.).

He is pretty busy though.

Frank Finocchio also does exceptional work.

http://www.finocchioguitar.com/

Scooter

Top Bottom