Just ordered my first Uke, an Islander MST-4

hammer40

Reaction score
Woohoo! I ordered my first Ukulele today and it's on it's way, I chose an Islander MST-4. This will be my first instrument and I can't wait to get started learning how to play. I have been doing quite a bit of research online to learn about the Uke, that's what lead me to this site as well.

I think I got a pretty good deal from UkuleleHotline.com. The Uke was 179.99 plus 3.99 to ship. I was all over the map trying to decide where to start. At first it was going to be just a beginner model, then I figured why not spend a little more and get something better so I can grow into it. That lead to why not just get a nice solid body, which lead to a really nice quality wood solid body. I went from $99 to $350 pretty quick but in the end I ended up pretty much in the middle I guess, money wise.

I wish I would have been able to actually see and hear all the models I was considering, but there just aren't many shops (Guitar Center) around here carrying Ukulele's.That would have made it a lot easier since it all comes down to what feels good or sounds good to yourself anyway.

The info I found here was invaluable and helped me make my decision, so a big general thanks to the forum.

Aloha hammer40,
Congrats on your upcoming new uke. Good choice and great price........................BO........................

Great choice and even better price! Be sure to post pictures when you get it.... :shaka:

I recently got the same uke, though it was my first tenor and not my first uke. I cannot believe you got it so cheap! Well done. Why did you choose a tenor uke instead of starting with a soprano like most people?

Congratulations on your new uke.....very good choice!!

I bought my son the MST-4 for Christmas, and am so impressed with its warm, puncy sound. I own an Ohana with the 1 3/8" nut width, and while I like it a lot, the 1 1/2" nut on the Islander is a lot more comfortable, especially for fingerpicking. This is a great uke, and one that you will probably hold on to for a long time.

Congrats on an excellent choice. Good move to call Uke hotline even though others had reported them being out of stock. Persistence pays.

I recently got the same uke, though it was my first tenor and not my first uke. I cannot believe you got it so cheap! Well done. Why did you choose a tenor uke instead of starting with a soprano like most people?

I know, I couldn't believe the price either. I actually learned of the site from another thread by a member who was posting a review of the MST-4, he mentioned Ukulelehotline and the 199.99 price. I noticed that the website had an additional 10 percent discount promotion for members when you join their free club, so I did, and that took another 20 dollars off.

I chose the tenor based on the tenor Ukes I did actually get to see and hear live, they just seem to have a larger, warmer tone that I liked. Initially I was looking at a Concert size, which I still like very much, so I'm sure I will eventually have one of those as well. I also just thought it would be nice to get a Uke I could grow into (musically) and not worry about replacing it so quickly.

Congrats on an excellent choice. Good move to call Uke hotline even though others had reported them being out of stock. Persistence pays.

Yes, I saw that others mentioned they were out of stock and figured why not call and try anyway, sure enough they had another one in stock. He did say they trickle in, so anyone else interested should call every once in a while. Don't forget to join the club for the additional discount as well.

You won't be dissapointed, the islander ukes are well made for there price :D.

Top Bottom