what are EQs for ukuleles?

In many ads for ukes, the seller states the name, model and eq - to indicate the uke not only has a pickup, but it's an active one with battery powered adjustments (Equalizer) installed somewhere on the uke

If a uke has a passive pickup, it means there are no adjustments on the uke. This leaves all the adjustments up to the amp. An exernal equalizer can then be purchased and installed between the instrument and the amp, to provide the ability
to "fine tune" the uke. This is especially important when you have an amp without many adjustments.

Last edited:
if i were to buy a ukulele would it be worth it to spend the extra money for a model with EQ

Ronnie, it depends on your budget and what you plan to do with it.

A pick up and eq fitted in your uke allow you to plug in, simple as that. Therefore it's about whether you want to play through an amplifier or not.

Bear in mind that if you compare two models that are the same price (one with eq one without) that are otherwise very similar in wood and construction, then I'd wager that the non eq model may be the better uke in quality terms. The eq costs something, and I personally wince when I see cheap ukes online for about $60 including eq. That to me says the underlying uke is seriously cheap.

What I suppose im trying to say is...... Unless you specifically want to be plugged in the majority of the time, don't let an eq sway your choice of uke over the more important factors of how the uke plays, looks and sounds unplugged.

If I ever find myself in a position to need/want an amplified ukulele, I'll go with one that does NOT have a built in EQ.

1) I play left handed, and most built in EQs are installed such that they are on top when played righty. (Not an issue for most of you)
2) As with everything else I own that's battery powered, the battery will crap out at the most inopportune time.
3) An EQ means that there are at least two more connections inside the uke body that can fail, not including the connections inside the EQ itself.
4) A seperate EQ between me and the amplifier will likely have a greater adjustment range than that of a built in EQ.

YMMV

Top Bottom