PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain in depth the difference between a tenor and a concert?

ronnieyuen
01-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Can someone explain in depth the difference between a tenor and a concert?

ukuloko
01-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm not sure how in depth you can really get. Concert size is one up from the traditional soprano, it keeps a lot of the original ukulele sound we all know but gives it a bit more oomph - great for playing in a band. The extra frets give it a bit more versatility too. A tenor is the size up and the additional frets allow for a lot more range and so is generally the choice when you want to start playing some crazy instrumentals like the professionals.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/11/uke-got-mail-6-concert-vs-tenor/

Aldrine answers this question in that video.

PhilUSAFRet
01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Different size, different scale length, different sound (usually)

bazmaz
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
See http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/04/ukulele-basics-sizes.html for general explanation

diego
01-12-2012, 12:29 AM
The title answered it, the difference is in depth :P. But seriously, a bigger instrument tends to sound "fuller" or deeper.

NaomiK
02-05-2012, 01:58 PM
It's larger first off. The fretboard is larger but has the same number of frets as a concert, the frets are spaced farther apart. My tenor has a richer sound than my concert but I can't say it's louder.

FlyedPiper
02-12-2012, 03:35 PM
The larger the size, the less "ukey" the sound. I like concert for my "small" uke over the soprano because it has a more rounded and mellow tone and bigger frets. It still retains the "ukey" sound, but is fuller, less plinky.

For my "big" uke I like a baritone, either tuned DGBE for guitary tunes or GCEA with a low G for that uke sound... that basically makes it a big tenor with a little more bass and volume.

A tenor ukulele falls in between those two. Tenor is most popular with professional musicians, and has the widest variety of strings and tuning variations I would say.

Hope that helps, I'm a noob to this but I've owned and played all of the sizes.

mm stan
02-12-2012, 06:19 PM
the larger cavity gives it more volume and depth and the larger frets and longer scale makes a big difference.

kapahulu50
02-14-2012, 09:02 PM
A little more room for the fingers on a tenor