Strum with thumb?

OldManGuitar&UkeNewbie

Reaction score
New to the Uke, but been playing acoustic guitar for years. With the latter I either finger pick or use my thumb for strumming.

My new uke is arriving this week, and I notice looking at the sites on the 'net that people use their index finger to strum, not their thumb. I wonder what difference it will make if I use my thumb as I've been doing on the guitar for a long time. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, ya know?:cool:

Ideas?

The thumb strum is a legitimate strum.
A lot of the old Hawaiians play with the thumb.
I use the index finger for a lot of strums, but when I am playing melody with the chords I like my thumb.

Me...I play with the index finger or the thumb. There is no right or wrong way to strum, just what you like!!

I've tried using my index finger several times, but it has never felt good to me. I do some three finger picking. But when strumming, it's the thumb only. I just feel I have better control with it. Go with what feels right. There is no single correct method. Relax and have some fun.

Me...I play with the index finger or the thumb. There is no right or wrong way to strum, just what you like!!
I agree...do what you like and if the sound is what you want then you are good. BUT...try to experiment with other styls to produce different sounds.

When I'm sitting on the couch just playing for myself I always just use the thumb. I like the softer sound.

Thanks the the information, good to hear it is at least possible and not too uncommon to use a thumb. I will play around with using my index finger also, just to see how that goes.

I have gotten into the habit of using my thumb for the up stroke and my middle and ring finger for the down stroke. Works well for me.

I came to Uke after playing guitar for years. And I had that same instinct, to use my thumb over my first finger. I've worked a bit on the technique to use my first finger instead, and what I find (your mileage may vary here) is that I tend to get a brighter, more "springy" sound that way, whereas when I use my thumb it's closer to what I'd get out of a nylon strung acoustic. I say play around. For me the uke is all about playing around and having fun.

I suppose I mainly use fingers, but depending on the song, the atmosphere, the volume around me, the passage within a song, I regularly thumb strum too!

Top Bottom