Found a local uke group - woo hoo!

Fliss

Reaction score
I just went to the first meeting of a local uke group last night :)

It was great. It was the first meeting, so it all seemed a little unstructured, but the organisers were very welcoming. And by chance there was someone there that I know, from the songwriters' group I sometimes go to, so it was good to see a familiar face, too.

They had prepared a song book, so we worked through some of those songs, some of which I knew, some I didn't know, but one of the really great things about a situation like that is that you have to learn quickly! I know know the Cm chord which I didn't know previously. And the songs ranged from the Beatles "Let it Be" to Morcambe and Wise "Bring Me Sunshine" and Jason Mraz "I'm Yours." And we have all been invited to bring along songs we'd like to do with the group, so I think I'll seek out some suitable folky songs.

Here's a link to the group's website, anyway:
http://cuplayers.gofreeserve.com/index.html

Hoping to make this a regular thing, I think it will really help me to improve my playing :)

Congrats! Glad you have a uke group handy. My Meetup the highlight of my month. You are right, it's either practice and improve, or be a beginner forever.

Groups keep you going. Ours meets twice a month at our house. Nothing like playing with other people.

Thanks guys :)

Second week this week and we split into small groups, picked a song to play together, practiced then performed for everyone else - here's me (2nd from the right) with my group performing "Is This The Way To Amarillo":

Can't find any around here and most people look at me like I'm holding a baby alien if I go out in the public with my ukulele.

Thanks guys :)

Second week this week and we split into small groups, picked a song to play together, practiced then performed for everyone else - here's me (2nd from the right) with my group performing "Is This The Way To Amarillo":

it looks like you are having a ball Fliss, i went to my first meet last week and it was great fun fair play, will be going again next week, i cannot wait

Top Bottom