The Daily Ukulele, does your group use the book?

Yes, I like it very much. A few typos here and there but no biggie. I think it's important for people to be able to visualize the music and get used to seeing sheet music, if only to know how many counts to strum the chords. This way they don't have to know the song before playing it, as opposed to the typical lyric sheet with just the words and chords. And if they can do that, then it opens so many more doors for them - they can pick up music books for guitar and piano and be able to play through those, too.

I also like the variety of songs in the book, it's a lot of fun, sure to be something for everyone.

Several of the irregulars at the Electric City Ukulele Club in Schenectady, NY have the book, but we don't "use it", per se.

As individuals, we'll use it for a reference. As a group, we'll either rely on everyone else to know the song (yeah, right!), call out chord changes, or bring copies of our own, and distribute them.

For the most part, especially if it is a std 3 chord (I-IV-V) or 4 chord (I-vi-IV-V), it is pretty straightforward, and usually after a couple of times through, we can usually pick it up.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
I'd say maybe half the members in our SEUkers group (Atlanta) have the book and most of us try to bring to meetups. We also bring other music, as the mood hits us, or just try to learn from someone who knows a song by heart.

I like the book, but after owning for perhaps a year now, and wearing some of the pages out, I have grown somewhat less fond of it. I really like the fact that it has both a melody line and the chords, so that I can lay down a chord and rhythm background and then play along with the melody if I want to. Its one of the best values on a uke book I have found.

I would like to see a Volume II, with more contemporary songs in it for the members of our group younger than 45.

No, not at this time.

There are generally 35 to 55 ukulele players at our monthly song circles and we have created our own songbooks
which have many of the songs in the Daily Ukulele.

We are SUPA, Seattle Ukulele Players Association, and we just celebrated our 9th anniversary this past Sunday,
Jan 8th (Elvis' birthdate).

Please check out our website ( seattleukulele.org ). You may find a special 'gift' hiding among the announcements.

keep uke'in',

A lot of the members of the River City Ukulele Society in Richmond, VA have this book. I think it is a great resource. I know of a couple of songs we have used for sing a longs. Most of the group brings music to share or just get up and preform.

My group meets in a Sam Ash in the north west of the Phoenix, AZ metro area. We meet every Tuesday and call every other meeting Daily Ukulele and the alternate meetings a jam. We only use the Daily Ukulele book in the Daily Ukulele meetings and we often use it in the jams although we are open to whatever music people bring.

Nix

Most the time there seems to be a resistance to using this book. I know for a fact there are a few mistakes in the book. And I've heard it said that the key most the songs are in is usually one key off. OK. But as a guide to get everyone on the same page literally I don't know how you could do better. I usually refer to the book as "Jim's 365 Book".

We use it a lot. Not exclusively, but primarily. I play something out of it every day. I agree with he idea of another volume with more contemporary songs... good idea.
(Tampa Bay Ukulele Society)

I use it, but the songs are for old farts.

no our club won't be using the daily ukulele

our name is 'Swansea Ukulele Club'

Top Bottom