My Islander MST-4 delivered today but with issues

hammer40

Reaction score
I recieved my Islander MST-4 today with good news and bad. The good is that it's a beautiful Uke and sounds incredible, I love the warm tone. The bad is there were some blemishes on it. A nick in the soundboard, more marks in the neck/headstock, and a gouge or something on the first fret. The Nut seemes to be not seated to well on one side, maybe that is normal, I don't know. The fret could be sanded/dressed and fixed I assume, but the nick and marks are a little much I thought.

I will be sending it back for a refund but there aren't any more so I guess I will be looking for something else, or wait for the new models.

Here are some pictures, maybe I'm just being to picky since it is my first instrument. Click if you want a larger view.

Oh, it also arrived in a Wasburn mandolin box, not an islander Uke box, that seemed odd.

Doesn't it sound a bit as if the instrument were a reject or a previous return? No box.....hmm. Good for you for returning it.

Was going to say that I'd suck it up for a beater uke,after seeing the first two pictures, but man. The headstock and fret. Looks like someone fought with it before sending it to you.

Was going to say that I'd suck it up for a beater uke,after seeing the first two pictures, but man. The headstock and fret. Looks like someone fought with it before sending it to you.

That is what I was thinking. You don't really see the ding in the sound board unless you're looking for it, but the headstock and fret is what really bothered me. Again, my first instrument, so I'm new to how they are out of the box.

I can't be the only one wondering who you bought it from. Let us know how it turns out for you. good luck

I can't be the only one wondering who you bought it from. Let us know how it turns out for you. good luck

I got it from UkuleleHotline. I called him right after I got it and he was very apologetic and said to send it back and he would refund my money. He would have replaced it with another one but they are out of stock. He also said he would be happy to take my name and number and call me when the new models come out if I wanted one of those he would give me good deal for my trouble. I got it for a great price and the customer service from them is fine, just one of things I guess.

As the wise words of bruddah Stan, if they give you a nice discount on this uke and you can live with the dings, then you got yourself a beater uke. If not, send her back. I wouldn't have shipped out a uke in that condition as "new" without discussing it with the buyer first but at least they seem stand up enough to offer the refund and apology. Are you going to be picking up the shipping costs to send back the uke as well as the original shipping?

I got it from UkuleleHotline. I called him right after I got it and he was very apologetic and said to send it back and he would refund my money. He would have replaced it with another one but they are out of stock. He also said he would be happy to take my name and number and call me when the new models come out if I wanted one of those he would give me good deal for my trouble. I got it for a great price and the customer service from them is fine, just one of things I guess.

They get an F for sending it out in the first place, but a B+ for at least apologizing and doing what is "pono."

As the wise words of bruddah Stan, if they give you a nice discount on this uke and you can live with the dings, then you got yourself a beater uke. If not, send her back. I wouldn't have shipped out a uke in that condition as "new" without discussing it with the buyer first but at least they seem stand up enough to offer the refund and apology. Are you going to be picking up the shipping costs to send back the uke as well as the original shipping?

Yes, I believe a complete refund. He is going to call me when he gets it and we will do it together over the phone he said. Im lucky that I can ship it back at work so it really isn't going to cost me anything there.

I think they sold you a "second" or a returned unit. Good that you sent it back!

The real answer comes from answering this question, if you had to sell it today to someone else, would you expect to get your money back or close? And, how would you describe it to them? I bet you would have to use a lot of " in great condition EXCEPT...."

Send it back.

Mst-4

kani side.jpg
Hi, I've got one that's in perfect shape sent to from a friend in Hawaii. Came with a humidifier and I'll include a hard black case or a tweed case and tuner!
Dave Sharkulele.com I'm in Lincolnwood Ill.
You can come and check it out first too! Let me know how much you would offer for it.
I'm new here and have a on-linekalilea bottom up.jpg store.
Sharkuleleukuleles

Top Bottom