aquila string

having just swapped to nylgut strings from GHS nylons, yes, yes and yes. this maybe just that they suit my playing and my ukulele but it has made it so much warmer and improved both volume and sustain.

They worked amazingly well on my laminate ukulele (Kala KA-TEC) but when I tried it on my solid wood (Lanikai SMP-TCA), it sounded terrible.

Depends on your uke if it is solid or laminate and your preferences...

:agree: Depends...sound better on some ukes than others. i.e. great on my Oscar Schmidt OU5. Way too bright on my Cordoba tenor

I like 'em! They are one of the few companies actually making their own strings, which should count for something. Of course they're not the only ones doing their own thing, but they're in that list.

I feel those strings are bright and they bring my Makala dolphin to life. However, I heard when they fitted on solid spruce, or even solid maple, they can be too bright to some people, including myself.

Excellent strings , a personal choice for your instrument. Another fine choice we carry are Aurora strings. Auroras use Aquila's formula but are smoother to the touch and arguably a little warmer, they also come in a variety of colors.

They worked fantastically on my Kamoa Concert, but there is a horrible buzzing on every Aquila string on my Anuenue. The luthier I talked to said that it was the strings, my uke is fine. So I guess it's kind of a crap shoot :p. My advice is to order several different strings, including a low g set.

As with almost everything else, the quality and value of Aquilas will depend on how you like them on your uke.

My personal feeling is I prefer fluorocarbon strings on my ukes, specifically Orcas, Fremont, or Worth. I found the Aquilas a bit too strong. That doesn't mean I won't try them again, because my taste may change, but for now, they just aren't for me.

Get a set and try them out for yourself instead of just taking our word for anything. It's the best way to answer your question.

I put them on my Fluke and I loved them.
Lately though, as I have developed and ear for what I like, I've decided that Worth Brown's are my favorite. They're not as loud, but I love the range of tone.

But that's just me. Try a bunch and see what you like!

I have them on my Kala and like them. Lately I've been wanting something a bit brighter, and louder if that's possible. I put a set of Martin Flurocarbons on my son's Dolphin and love how they sound, I may try those on my Kala unless my research turns up a better alternative.

Aquilas were my favorite strings until I discovered Martin M600 fluorocarbons, which I now have on all of my ukes. Aquilas have actually sounded great on every uke I've installed them on (I've done a lot of string changes for others who are intimidated by it), with one exception - my Kiwaya laminate, on which they sounded dreadful.

I feel those strings are bright and they bring my Makala dolphin to life. However, I heard when they fitted on solid spruce, or even solid maple, they can be too bright to some people, including myself.

Depends,...on my Kanile'a clarpo walnut back and sides with bearclaw spruce top soprano, the aquila's sound fantastic! Won't change from that string unless the quality ever changes.

They are warm and full sounding, with good sustain. The kanile'a has a deeper body than most sopranos, so i guess that helps.

Last edited:
Depends,...on my Kanile'a clarpo walnut back and sides with bearclaw spruce top soprano, the aquila's sound fantastic! Won't change from that string unless the quality ever changes.

They are warm and full sounding, with good sustain. The kanile'a has a deeper body than most sopranos, so i guess that helps.

Learn something new everyday. I didn't know about this one. Thanks.

I have them on my Kala and like them. Lately I've been wanting something a bit brighter, and louder if that's possible. I put a set of Martin Flurocarbons on my son's Dolphin and love how they sound, I may try those on my Kala unless my research turns up a better alternative.

Owwwww, gotta try this one on my Dolphin as well ! Thanks for this infor Sporin :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys! your replies helped me a lot and i'm gonna get that Aquila string this coming monday! Good luck for me :) hahahaha! :D

Top Bottom