Anyone want to rehome a Mele 6 string?

Teek

Reaction score
Just looking around and like the looks and sound, read that they are based on Martin specs. Curious what is out there. I have a lot of vintage sopranos I will be listing, don't know if anyone is interested in trading anything, also have a short scale classical, but if the sopranos all go will have funds soon. :D

I heard a fellow UUer might put one for sale....

Really? I am looking for one as well. I have owned 2. Let the first one go to fund a pono 8 string and I deached the second one at UWC.

You will love one if you can get one.

Yeah, passed up a few, am looking for the cutaway tenor 6 string mahogany Mele, preferably with a pickup and a hard case. If that's not the one you are looking for Teek, pass'em to me. If it is and you get more than one, pass'em to me! LOL

Last edited:
Hey, haolejohn. Have you checked your message inbox in the last couple days?

Aloha Teek,
I bought a used one on a previous trip to Maui, a Double Puka Koa. I change the stings to Kamakas and sounds great but can't get used to the wide neck. Went to Mele and learned they have standard or fast necks ones as well. Got my eye on one which I'm leaning towards when I return. Seems more comfortable for me.
Since purchasing that one, I acquired 3 more; a Koa Double Puka, Slotted Head Tenor w/ a Fishman Matrix Pickup, a Double Puka Mahogany Soprano, and a Single Puka Mahogany Concert.
Yeah, I became a Mele fan. They're great ukes for the price and wouldn't hesitate getting another.
Good luck in your search............................BO.......................
@mm Stan, thanks for the plug,hehehe..........................

LOL @ mds725, it's fine, glad to hear what people like, better if someone else steps in anyway, saves me spending my money! I see cheap Kalas might try one of those.. ;)

@ 808boy, thanks for info, I knew there was a wide neck, didn't want one of those. Glad for the feedback on Mele, thanks, and how do you like the mahogany??

LOL @ mds725, it's fine, glad to hear what people like, better if someone else steps in anyway, saves me spending my money! I see cheap Kalas might try one of those.. ;)

@ 808boy, thanks for info, I knew there was a wide neck, didn't want one of those. Glad for the feedback on Mele, thanks, and how do you like the mahogany??

The Mele mahogs are my favorite mahog uke out there.

Hey guys! Way to bogart my thread! :eek:

LOL!! Not really. I can't afford one at the moment but as far as 6 string Mele is the way to go IMO.

I am just trying which uke to get rid of to get the 6 string uke (since I could sell the uke and buy the 6 string and still ahve some cash left over for groceries).

Just looking around and like the looks and sound, read that they are based on Martin specs. Curious what is out there. I have a lot of vintage sopranos I will be listing, don't know if anyone is interested in trading anything, also have a short scale classical, but if the sopranos all go will have funds soon. :D

What kind of short scale classical? Nut width?

It's a cedar topped Aria PS53, made in Spain, scale is 21.5, have it strung up with requinto strings, it's our "big" guitarlele. 1 7/8 nut width. Mahogany back and sides, rosewood fretboad and headstock face plate and bridge, nicely set up, really silky feel on the strings.

@ haolejohn, I'm in on the UUBL thing, so don't need no stinkin' groceries, lol! I can live on music, or nibble on a pack of Worths if that doesn't work.

Wow. I read the whole infamous 23 page thread on Mele regarding customer service and thought okay, that was 10 years ago, two years ago, last year, etc.. Then this am I asked about pricing on a mahogany six string they have on eBay. The price was $466 and change, marked down from $549. I asked if they had any blems on a question to seller form from that item page. They answered that I should call. So I was considering the one listed, went to look at it again, it was gone. No, actually it seems like wasn't, and it looks like they just raised the price back up to $549. There had been two available, there's still two.

So that left a bad taste in my mouth, and I guess I'll be waiting for a Kamaka or just get a cheap Kala. Be nice if Mainland would make one.

Mike, are you lurking?? :)

Wow. I read the whole infamous 23 page thread on Mele regarding customer service and thought okay, that was 10 years ago, two years ago, last year, etc.. Then this am I asked about pricing on a mahogany six string they have on eBay. The price was $466 and change, marked down from $549. I asked if they had any blems on a question to seller form from that item page. They answered that I should call. So I was considering the one listed, went to look at it again, it was gone. No, actually it seems like wasn't, and it looks like they just raised the price back up to $549. There had been two available, there's still two.

So that left a bad taste in my mouth, and I guess I'll be waiting for a Kamaka or just get a cheap Kala. Be nice if Mainland would make one.

I'd call them. You get a better deal. Tell them i sent you. I know two folks that got a substantial discount (one got free shipping and one got a free case).

However, i do wish mainland would come out with a 6 string.

please don't get me started on that mele thread. lol.

Aloha,
Just an update guys, right now I have 2 Koa tenors, both 2 pukas, 4 & 6 strings, 1 Mahog. standard concert, and 1 2- puka Mahog. soprano....all were used in good to excellent shape with great prices attached to them. Love them all.
My Fiance will be here from Maui on Jan. 31st. and she purchased me another Mele, WOO HOO!
It's a Koa, 2 Puka Concert with a hard case at again a great price. I'm becoming a Mele Maniac. Maybe I'll stick to one brand and acquire various wood combinations and sizes. Guess which brand?...................BO..............

Ok, BO, you and John are our go to guys for Mele. Congrats on the new uke and whatever you need to do to keep that lady of yours happy, do it with a smile! ;)

Top Bottom