PDA

View Full Version : Help, new C string doesn't stay in tune

cahaya
01-12-2012, 01:49 AM
I bought two Makala dolphin. Every since I replaced the strings with Aquila Nylgut strings two weeks ago, the C string doesn't stay in tune for both ukes. They go flat the next day.

I thought if that only happen to one uke, then may be there is something with the tuner, but two, and both have the same problem.

I am at a lost and don't know where to start besides keep tuning it up everyday.:anyone:

novocaine
01-12-2012, 03:04 AM
the strings haven't settled yet. did you stretch the strings as you replaced them?

i'm also on nylgut strings on one uke and have the same issue, i expect it to settle eventually.

mm stan
01-12-2012, 03:26 AM
Aquila strings takes the longest to break in... play them alot or pre break them in... Start from the G string and bend the string from side to side 3-4 times
Do that to all the strings... then repeat the 3-4 times daily.. generally tune your ukulele every time before you play for best results in tone...Happy Strummings..

cahaya
01-12-2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks all or the infor :) For a minute I thought my son's and my dolphin are faulty. Yes I do pull them but after reading mm stan's post, I realised I didn't stretch the string enough.

Ambient Doughnut
01-12-2012, 03:45 AM
yeah, stick with it - they will settle in presently!

stevepetergal
01-12-2012, 04:41 AM
Of course, be patient first. Let the strings break in. But, if the problem continues (two weeks is already quite a while), you may have loosened the buttons on the friction tuners on while lowering the tension on the old strings. It's not uncommon for this to happen on the same tuner on different ukes. Remember the G and C tuners turn one way to loosen and the E and A turn the other way. If so, you may try tightening the buttons. Be careful with this, though. A tiny clockwise turn on the screw at the end of the tuning button is all that should be necessary. Start with less than an eighth of a turn, just a touch. Sometimes it will require this to be done twice or even thrice, but I'd guess not in your case. And do this only if you think this is the problem, and only on the problem tuner(s). Sufficient overtightening will crack even new tuning buttons.

cahaya
01-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Of course, be patient first. Let the strings break in. But, if the problem continues (two weeks is already quite a while), you may have loosened the buttons on the friction tuners on while lowering the tension on the old strings. It's not uncommon for this to happen on the same tuner on different ukes. Remember the G and C tuners turn one way to loosen and the E and A turn the other way. If so, you may try tightening the buttons. Be careful with this, though. A tiny clockwise turn on the screw at the end of the tuning button is all that should be necessary. Start with less than an eighth of a turn, just a touch. Sometimes it will require this to be done twice or even thrice, but I'd guess not in your case. And do this only if you think this is the problem, and only on the problem tuner(s). Sufficient overtightening will crack even new tuning buttons.

Yes, I thought two weeks is a bit long. But I will give them more time and stretch them 2 - 3 times a day, everyday from now on. After one week if the problem persists, then I will have a look at the tuner.

mm stan
01-12-2012, 06:19 AM
It is not how long you had the strings on ...it is how much playing time you had too....just saying.. be patient.

cahaya
01-16-2012, 01:16 AM
A quick update, the C string tend to stay more in tune now. It still goes flat a little bit the next day but this is a large improvement from the day I first post this thread.

Ambient Doughnut, stevepetergal, mm stan and novocaine, thanks for your input :D

Gwynedd
01-16-2012, 01:43 AM
It took me two weeks to have my Aquila strings settle on the Dolphin. I only play about 30 min a day if that. After two weeks, I notice it is nearly in tune when I pick it up. It does take time.

DaveVisi
01-16-2012, 05:31 AM
I usually tune a half to a full step high and wait for them to settle down to pitch.

novocaine
01-16-2012, 08:46 AM
cool, mine are now settled too and playing like a champ, now i need to buy a new set for the mahalo i picked up for the missus to play with. :) happy days.