Any interest in doing this?

tmm200

Reaction score
I was thinking about how much I enjoy seeing different versions of the same song on YouTube, especially when I am trying to learn that song. I was thinking that we could do something similar here on the forums.

Every so often, we'd pick a song and then whoever wants to could post a video of their version. Some notes in the post or the video explaining the chords used, strumming pattern, etc. would also be welcome. Let me know if you are interested. Also, any suggestions to the following would be appreciated.

We need a name for this venture - any ideas?

Also, how often should we do it: once a month, maybe twice, or more often that?

What song would you like to start off with?

Thanks,

-Troy

So this would be, like, various rhythms, or melodies even, like fast/slow, conventional (well-known melody)/lyrics sung to a different melody?

I just need clarification as to what a 'version' of a song is.

Other than that, if I can somehow learn how to post a video, I would want to give it a try sometime.

keep uke'in',

My guess is not that anyone would be assigned a different version (i.e. member A has to play it ska, while member B has to play it fast), but that there is a song and anyone interested can play it how they like.

I used to be on a writing forum a while back and every once in a while one person would pick a topic and anyone interested could post whatever they wanted on it. We called those things "Write-Off's", so I suppose we could call something like that here a "Uke-Off"

Sounds very interesting, and very tempting. If I could get over my shyness, that is

Heck ya...

I enjoy embarrassing myself!

This sounds like it would be fun, I'd def be keen! Although right now I've been a bit shy to record or post anything.. Maybe this will help me get over my youtube blues :)

There's actually something like this but its more geared to turning a song into an instrumental. Austin1 aka Tina puts these on every so often. They're called the Great Ukulele Instrumental Challenge

Since participants would presumably be covering an existing song rather than writing a song of their own, you could call it something like "The [Great] Covers Project" or "The [Great] Covers Challenge." Not to hijack the thread, but the idea that I think most closely corresponds to a "write-off" would be announcing a topic (Valentine's Day, for example) and then having everyone write, perform, and post a video of, an original song inspired by that topic. That would be fun, too. I'd definitely consider participating in a Covers Challenge if I could (a) learn how to videotape myself playing and (b) get over my unwillingness to post for public view a video of myself playing.

Top Bottom