Is this MGM a solid top or laminate?

hey bro i think the mahogany is solid (top). and the curly mango (sides and back.) are laminates.

The top of that ukulele is not mahogany. The entire ukulele is made of laminated mango. Still a sweet uke, though. Kala laminates are great sounding, well, priced, durable first ukes.

Thanks again for the info. I actually bought a $79.00 Kala, but it came USPS with the neck broke off. I glued it back on and as a newbie I got some tuning practice in right off the bat. I have been using it for a couple of weeks but I think I might have do overs on my first uke. Not sure if I want to go with a solid wood (or wood top) or laminate though, whatever I pick I'm going to make sure it comes in a hard case rather then a gig bag.

MGM is pretty good about identifying solid tops, usually in the title, but sometimes in the description. As he told me, if he doesn't say SOLID, it isn't.

I really prefer solid versus laminates. You can hear the difference. The only ukes I think can really be laminate without too much concern are the plastic-backed ones (i.e., Flea, Fluke, Applause).

I have a mango, BTW, but it's solid. It's quite beautiful but a very different sound from mahogany or spruce.

See my comments at www.ianchadwick.com/essays/ukuleles.htm

ichadwick, thanks for sharing your thoughts & the write up, some good info there. For me since I am totally new and because I work with wood as a hobby I will be leaning towards a soprano or concert uke with nice wood grain appearance rather then the ideal sound, if good sound comes with then great :) I have read nothing but good things about the Fluke & Flea but plastic just does not appeal to me, so for now those are out. Any way I live about 2 ours inland from the California coast line & there is not much humidity here but we do have a dry high heat about 3 months out of the year so I may need to think about that if choosing a solid uke.

Top Bottom