First ukulele build in progress

lauri girouard

Reaction score
I thought I would share some photos on my first ukulele build. Here goes:

IMG_6112.jpg

I joined the top and back. This will be my first time using Koa wood.

IMG_6146.jpg

Homemade side bender ready for use.

IMG_6147.jpg

While a hot pipe is used in some of my bends, I like using to use a heating blanket for ukuleles and A style mandolins (form in back).

IMG_6142.jpg

Sides bent in a homemade form.

IMG_6143.jpg

Top with abalone rosette installed and back both cut to rough shape.

IMG_6154.jpg

Hand planed bracing to ensure a good glue joint.

IMG_6155.jpg

A paper template of the blocks was glued onto mahogany and the blocks cut on the band saw.

IMG_6159.jpg

Glueing bracing

IMG_6169.jpg

Back braces

IMG_6163.jpg

Kerfed lining and blocks glued in

I'll post more as it finishes up.

Good observation Sven. It is larger than the usual. I am going to cut a dovetail joint for the neck. I'll post pictures of it so you can check it out.

Last edited:
I am still working on my first ukulele build. I did cut down the neck block a bit. I still plan on cutting a dovetail for the neck joint.

uke2.jpguke3.jpguke4.jpg

Hi! Lauri, your build looks good and very clean. I like your abalone rosette.
Not an expert here, but I have a couple questions though...
(1) There is no bridge plate on your top. Are you planning to glue the plate later or...there won't be a bridge plate?
(2) Is the neck a three piece laminate neck? Is there any reason why you choose to position the grain in that direction?

Looking good so far! Keep posting progress pics!

Hi! Lauri, your build looks good and very clean. I like your abalone rosette.
Not an expert here, but I have a couple questions though...
(1) There is no bridge plate on your top. Are you planning to glue the plate later or...there won't be a bridge plate?
(2) Is the neck a three piece laminate neck? Is there any reason why you choose to position the grain in that direction?

Hi Uke for JC,

Thanks for the input! I did not install a bridge plate yet. I am waiting to fit the dovetail so I know the exact location of the bridge. Once that is determined, I will glue the plate in. I am constructing this in a little different order than usual as I'm accustomed to making mandolins, so I'm following that build sequence. Next I will cut a straight dovetail all the way through the neck block an then fit the neck by hand. The neck was a piece of mahogany with wonderful figuring that I got (for free!) from a friend in town who had it in storage for the last 40 years. My husband has used quite a few flat sawn necks with great success on his mandolins, so I figured this would be an excellent opportunity to try it on a ukulele, which has much lower string tension than a mandolin.

Hi Uke for JC,

Thanks for the input! I did not install a bridge plate yet. I am waiting to fit the dovetail so I know the exact location of the bridge. Once that is determined, I will glue the plate in. I am constructing this in a little different order than usual as I'm accustomed to making mandolins, so I'm following that build sequence. Next I will cut a straight dovetail all the way through the neck block an then fit the neck by hand. The neck was a piece of mahogany with wonderful figuring that I got (for free!) from a friend in town who had it in storage for the last 40 years. My husband has used quite a few flat sawn necks with great success on his mandolins, so I figured this would be an excellent opportunity to try it on a ukulele, which has much lower string tension than a mandolin.

Thank you Lauri for all the comments. Looking forward to seeing more progress pictures.
;)

Welcome to the forum Lauri! Your uke is looking very nice-Although I do agree with Sven on the neck block.

I'll be up in your neck of the woods in a few weeks...skiing in Gilford, Hiking in North Conway then a wood buying spree on the way home...
Stephen

Welcome to the forum Lauri! Your uke is looking very nice-Although I do agree with Sven on the neck block.

I'll be up in your neck of the woods in a few weeks...skiing in Gilford, Hiking in North Conway then a wood buying spree on the way home...
Stephen

There is snow up here and it is very cold and dry. Winter Hiking in the north country... thats hard core. Camping at night? I have my wood stove going full time and it wont stop until May.

I agree with Sven too and that is why I cut my block in half. Learners curve :)

Top Bottom