PDA

View Full Version : New UKE Day! Donaldson Vintage-S

Gmoney
01-12-2012, 06:18 PM
It's here, it's here, the new phone books are here.... Wait a minute, that's not what this is?!?

May I introduce you to a Brad Donaldson "Vintage-S"!

Be right back ... need to tune it... more photos later....

Thank you, Mr. Donaldson, what a beautiful ukulele!

peewee
01-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Looks great.

808boy
01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Aloha Glenn,
Congrats on the new uke. Looks awesome, heard a lot of good things about Brad.
Enjoy................................BO........... ...............

Uke Republic
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
What a beaut! Love those lines on that style.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-12-2012, 08:31 PM
A classic beauty. Congratulations!

bbycrts
01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the Donaldson family, Glenn! His vintage body design is my favorite of them all...I guess that's why I own one!

mm stan
01-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Aloha Glenn,
Congrats on the new Donaldson..looks awesome..Happy Strummings..

Teek
01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Ahh, a Donaldson! Congratulations! Mine is the best uke in my stable, and I have a Kanile'a Deluxe tenor and a white label Kamaka concert, and a Halekoa soprano. :cool:

Ronnie Aloha
01-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Awesome. Love the recycled shipping box too.

Hippie Dribble
01-13-2012, 12:25 AM
oh wow Glenn!!! That is a stunner. So elegant. I've turned green mate, enjoy her and congrats on a brilliant choice of style and builder. :)

roxhum
01-13-2012, 02:36 AM
Okay, the ukulele is beautiful. Now for a review and sound sample. Pleeeeeese..... I am on Brad's build list and would love to hear all about your ukulele.

Gmoney
01-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Thought I'd add a few more photos. Certainly a looker & Brad's attention to detail is just stellar. I included the photos of the packaging on the original post because it was so thorough & thoughtful. It was intended to make the trip safely & well protected from even the elements w/the foil-faced rigid foam. Brad gave me an option of a case for this beauty, but I opted not since I have several cases of various makers around the house. Anyway... here's some more eye-candy.

Mandarb
01-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Looks beautiful - enjoy!

Lanark
01-13-2012, 03:02 AM
The narrow waist is so very sexy. Simple and elegant. I look forward to sound samples. A lot. It looks like such a player's instrument.

(also in Mr. Donaldson's queue for something special towards summer and trying very hard not to think about it too much or the wait will kill me.)

Kauai808
01-13-2012, 03:16 AM
I love that clean headstock. Love the fret markers, those are some nice pieces of abalone.

bdukes
01-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Just beautiful. I'm a big fan of vintage rope rosettes. Very elegant. Congrats on the new addition. Enjoy!

Scott S.
01-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Wow! Very nice. Understanding that it's brand new, how does it sound and play? Bradford sure does build a beautiful instrument.

ukuraleigh
01-13-2012, 04:19 AM
She's a beauty!

P.S. Staples sells ukes now? Who knew? :p

Gmoney
01-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Wow! Very nice. Understanding that it's brand new, how does it sound and play? Bradford sure does build a beautiful instrument.

She plays GREAT! Intonation is spot on, its louder than you might expect w/its smaller body, and is light as a feather. Sound samples coming in a bit...

UkueBass23
01-13-2012, 05:22 AM
Looks great. I love the "reveal" shots too. I like unboxing them that way too and what a great pack job! Have fun with it!

ksiegel
01-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Soprano or concert size? and are those Peghed tuners? What strings did Brad choose?

Inquiring minds want to know!

And I do, too!

-Kurt

efiscella
01-13-2012, 05:54 AM
It's here, it's here, the new phone books are here.... Wait a minute, that's not what this is?!?

May I introduce you to a Brad Donaldson "Vintage-S"!

Be right back ... need to tune it... more photos later....

Thank you, Mr. Donaldson, what a beautiful ukulele!

Congrats-- looks great-- i can't wait to get the same one (in July!!!!)

coolkayaker1
01-13-2012, 06:02 AM
I have that exact uke, gmoney, and I LOVE it! It's my favorite uke, as others have written, and I too, have too many ukes (mostly midline, but I do have a Koaloha S--I like Brad's more!). Agree with you, gm, light as a feather, and sound so loud--pound for pound the best and loudest sound I know of.

I love it! Worth every millisecond of the wait time. Thanks, looking forward to your video and music sample.

Dan Uke
01-13-2012, 06:04 AM
from a selfish standpoint, I'm glad yours is complete, which means we all move up in the pecking order!!!! I have to be in the top three by now!!!

Gmoney
01-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Soprano or concert size? and are those Peghed tuners? What strings did Brad choose? ... SNIP ...

Mine is a Soprano, though I know that Brad built a very similar custom concert scale neck for bbycrts. It has Peghed tuners (LOVE) & Freemont blackline strings. I hadn't used blacklines for awhile - now I remember why I liked them before.

minipixel
01-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Congratulations! That is one gorgeous little instrument.
I've always loved that tight-waisted early Hawaiian shape and as soon as i saw the posts on ukeeku.com, I had to get myself on the end of the list ;)

Mine is under construction at the minute. I can't wait! Mezzo-soprano scale with 14 frets to the body for those 'John King' moments (I wish!)

bbycrts
01-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Ahh, a Donaldson! Congratulations! Mine is the best uke in my stable, and I have a Kanile'a Deluxe tenor and a white label Kamaka concert, and a Halekoa soprano. :cool:

I sold a Kanile'a to get mine - NO regrets!

Drew Bear
01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
@Teek & bbycrts: what woods did you get for the tenors? What were the most significant differences compared to your K brand ukes?

cletus
01-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Wow, it's lovely!
Looking forward to sound samples.

I wonder if he makes a super soprano?

Congratulations!:cheers:

mds725
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Congratulations! Your new ukulele has a very classic style and beautiful wood grain! Looking forward to your sound sample.

SailQwest
01-13-2012, 11:10 AM
What a beauty!

bbycrts
01-13-2012, 02:01 PM
@Teek & bbycrts: what woods did you get for the tenors? What were the most significant differences compared to your K brand ukes?

Mine is a longneck soprano, not a tenor - it's pretty much a soprano (with a body like GMoney's) with a wide concert neck. It has myrtle back and sides and Port Orford cedar top. Spanish cedar neck (for light weight).

It is hard to say what the differences are - obviously the body is a very different shape from the Kanile'a body. I also went from the soprano Kanile'a to a super soprano. The neck Brad built is as perfect as it can get - wide but a bit shallow and it fits my hands like it was measured specifically for them. It has a lovely tone and the sustain is surprisingly long for such a small body...

bbycrts
01-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Wow, it's lovely!
Looking forward to sound samples.

I wonder if he makes a super soprano?

Congratulations!:cheers:

Indeed! It's what I have!

coolkayaker1
01-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Just weighed my Donaldson Vintage S soprano with pegheads and Fremont blacks...and it's only 10.62 ounces.

Mine is serial no. 187 from 4-25-11. So, looking at Gmoney's photos, Brad made about 16 of these Vintage S's in under six months, or roughly (very roughly) about 5 of these every 2 months.

That doesn't including, obviously, anything else he's making simultaneously. So, maybe (and that's a big maybe) it gives you Vintage S "waiters" an idea of how long the wait.

But, then again, you have no clue where you are in the queue, so really little help.

Did I mention it only weighs 10.62 ounces?

cletus
01-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Mine is a longneck soprano, not a tenor - it's pretty much a soprano (with a body like GMoney's) with a wide concert neck. It has myrtle back and sides and Port Orford cedar top. Spanish cedar neck (for light weight).

Pictures Please?:music:

Bradford
01-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Just to clear things up, I number my instruments in sequence, so I have made 16 instruments in that time period, not 16 vintage model sopranos. I am trying and slowly succeeding in upping my production. Anyone that is on my production schedule and wonders where they are at should please feel free to send me an email and ask. Many of you do so regularly and a few call me, which is great.

Brad

BigSkyUkuleleGirl
02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Wow, that is a nice uke! I just got on Brad's list today for an October delivery date. I'm thinking of going with a vintage, tenor size, pineapple style, all koa. However, I can see I am going to flip-flop on wood in the next few months I have to think about it.

Dan Uke
02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Wow, that is a nice uke! I just got on Brad's list today for an October delivery date. I'm thinking of going with a vintage, tenor size, pineapple style, all koa. However, I can see I am going to flip-flop on wood in the next few months I have to think about it.

Does anyone know of any vintage tenor pineapples?

Gmoney
02-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Updating the thread with pictures of the new case for the Vintage-S. I was looking for something sturdy, not too much larger in size & the vintage look to boot. Found it in one of the Stagg vintage tweed cases. Here she is snugly tucked in.

Purchased the case off of eBay for $35 (though as another thread on UU about these cases mention that the seller inadvertenly had standard cases instead of pineapple style that many of us thought we were ordering.)

Fits well, will protect it when I travel, but probably weighs more than about 10 of these light little ukes!

GinnyT11
02-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Looks great, GMoney! The tweed goes quite well with the vintage style---just what you'd take on the Orient Express.

One of those shots in the case would look nice as the photo illustrating the Donaldson Uke Group that you started.

Scott S.
02-18-2012, 10:00 AM
It looks beautiful all tucked in! As a future Donaldson owner, I'm curious as to how the break-in process has progressed. Any comments on that?

kaizersoza
02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
that is a lovely instrument i cannot wait to get mine, but its still a long way off yet so gotta be patient, patient, patient.........................

Dan Uke
02-18-2012, 11:21 AM
I should get mine in two to three weeks. I'll definitely post pics and do a review since it's a tenor. Haven't seen too many Donaldson tenors around

Scott S.
02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
I should get mine in two to three weeks. I'll definitely post pics and do a review since it's a tenor. Haven't seen too many Donaldson tenors around

Please do. Mine's going to be a tenor, so I definately would like to see your build and read your review.

kaizersoza
02-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Please do. Mine's going to be a tenor, so I definately would like to see your build and read your review.

touche mine is going to be a tenor as well please post some pics when you get them guys

GinnyT11
02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Oh, all you guys want tenors!

Mine's a soprano and it's now gone to finishing, so I'll get it fairly soon. Don't know the exact ETA, and I wouldn't dare hurry it because everything about it so far is soooooo cool! It's got special art on the headstock that will define all the choices I've made for the uke. I am extremely excited about it.

connor013
02-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Man, that's beautiful. Congrats, Gmoney.

I can hardly wait for my turn.

Nickie
02-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Gorgeous! It does look like a vintage ukulele, in every detail, not just the shape. I bet you're very proud of it. What does it sound like?

cletus
02-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Gorgeous! It does look like a vintage ukulele, in every detail, not just the shape. What does it sound like?

Yes, yes, yes.

:cheers:

coolkayaker1
02-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Mine on order is also a vintage Donaldson tenor. As is BigSkyeGirl's, if I recall right. So, there will be a tsunami of Donaldson tenors in 2012. LOL

He's a great builder, and as Gmoney points out, his ukes are lovely. And sweet sounding. If Gmoney's soprano is anything like mine, the action is super low (yet absolutely no buzzes) and playable as all get out.

Uke Whisperer
02-18-2012, 11:51 PM
That is "plum purdy"! Congrats!