peghead tuners on a flea ukulele?

cyneller

Reaction score
I got a concert flea ukulele on ebay and have been having a great time with it. However, it totally doesn't hold tune. Weeks after putting on new strings, I'm still pulling it up every time I play. I had a Luna before this, and it held tune very well. Is this just the way the flea is? Would it be better if I got the optional peghead tuners? Or should I just get used to sweetening up the tuning whenever I pick it up?

The tuners really shouldn't be too big a deal. I've had each brand of tuners on the Fleas and Flukes and they both worked really well I thought. Try tightening the screws on the tuners. Just don't take it too far so as to strip them out.

So the peghead tuners aren't worth the extra expense?

I have a flea and a fluke that hold tune superbly. In fact I haven't picked up my flea since playing it about two weeks ago, just grabbed it and it's still in tune.

You probably need to tighten the tuner screws.

Because of the way the flea is made, assuming its not just a case of bad cheap strings, there is really nothing else it can be but loose tuners

Flea's stock tuners are actually good quality. They're known to hold their tuning very well.
Your detuning maybe be due to other factors too, like if the strings aren't old, then they will stretch out quite a bit.
Or if you have warm/fluctuating weather conditions, this tends to soften and stretch strings too.

In my opinion, the pegheads are definitely worth it though.
I wouldn't have a Flea or Fluke any other way. They are a lot easier to use than friction tuners.

Yes, the tuners should be fine. When you tighten them though, just turn them a tiny bit at a time. Less than an eight of a turn will usually do the trick if as I assume it holds while you play. Try this once, see if it helps. If not, one or even two more times. But, remember the reason for taking it slowly is that overtightening will do two things: make it difficult to turn the tuners, complicating tuning, and possibly break the buttons, even on a new instrument.

Next time you tune it note where the cut ends of the strings are pointing and check them every half hour or so to see if they are moving. If they are moving the tuner is slipping and needs to be tightened by turning the screw clockwise, about 1 eight turn at a time until it stops slipping.
Peg heads are worth cost, but why would you spend the money if the problem is just a loose screw?

Exactly right. If it's a loose screw, sometimes you can see it turn just by pulling up on the string (good way to make sure the string is stretched, too). New instruments almost always need a bit of tightening.

Peghead tuners are really nice and a great upgrade, but the stock tuners on Fleas, Flukes and Fireflies are all good.
Check the number of wraps on the tuner post. Make sure that all the wraps are on the post with no over wraps.
Two or three wraps is all you need. Also make sure the string is locked down on the post so it not not slip.
If you look at the Mya-Moe website, Gordon as a nice video on string changes. Aldriene also has a string change video here on UU.

Top Bottom