PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Martin Guitar- some good ukes (Pono,Mainland, Boat Paddle etc)

Mouthy1
01-13-2012, 05:31 AM
I am trying to learn guitar since my wife is finally interested in doing something like that. I bought 2 guitars for her(I have issues on buying too much in case you didn't know this) and 1 for me. She decided she liked my Taylor GS Mini so she took that one and left me with the 2 I don't like. I sold one of them off and will most likely sell the other one off. I went to Guitar Center and Dusty Strings to play some that guitars and see what else I like. I like the Martin sound the best. If anyone has a Martin laying around and would be interested in Uke trades(don't worry, no matter how many I trade I have more!), let me know.

Currently all the ukes I have are keepers so this isn't the easiest to come up with what I would be willing to part with. I will name a few brands and you can contact me to discuss: Pono Cedartop Tenor acoustic/electric, Tenor Boat Paddle Cedartop, Mainland concert(s) cedar and open headstock, Pono Mohagany Tenor(DARK wood version, and maybe some more. Let me know and I will always be a Ukester but I thought I would try guitar too. I may have some cash to kick in too. Thanks!

Oh, I like some Taylors too so if you have 'em, you can send me a PM too.(mostly the 314ce)

bahama.blue
01-16-2012, 07:56 AM
what guitar might you part with? thanks

Rondog
01-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Did you try one of these at the music store?

If so, I'd like a report please. :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160655853454?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Markr1
01-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I had a Taylor 314ce a couple of years ago that I regretfully sold. It was quite a player. I don't think you would go wrong with choosing that brand and model. Mine had the expression system for the electric part of it.

Mouthy1
01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I tried a bunch and the 314 played great. I think the Martin Rosewoods sounded most interesting:-) I like the mmv and the d18. I think the d16rgt was very nice too. I just bought a Breedlove and it is perfect. It has great depth and bass but great miss too. Anyone have something, shoot me a pm. I am thinking about selling the Pono cedartop tomorrow.

arktrav
02-25-2012, 09:28 AM
are youistill trying to trade? Do you by chance still have the pono? I, like you, have too much stuff (Ukes, madolins, guitars, bassees, etc) I might be interested in the pono. In the guitar range, I have martins, goodals, collings, Huss and Daltons, and in the mandolin line I hae primarily collings. Blessisngs, arktrafv

Mouthy1
02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Always trying to trade...that's just what I do! PM me and let me know whatcha have. I want a OOO oraybe a parlor. Thank you

misteruke
02-25-2012, 09:55 PM
I have a decent 70's Japanese Martin copy that would make a nice straight trade for one of your Ponos. It has the name Nagoya on the headstock. Solid spruce top--00 size. When I bought it, I could only find info on the D size. I put in a bone saddle, and it sounds pretty darn good. I don't have a case, but might be able to find something to put it in. PM me if you want more info. Where are you located?

arktrav
02-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Mouthy1, describe the Boat paddle uke and the Pono cedar top.. Is the Pono a slot head? I have some Martins but at the current moment they are on consignment with a music store in St. Louis (Music Folds) They are two Custom 0000 (M size) Martins, each with Adirondick tops one "hog" and one EIR., A Huss and Dalton Custom Sunburest Slope sholder with a "Addy" top and I have a '46 Martin D18 (this one will probably not be involved in any trades, but you never know), a Goodall traditional Dreadnaught and a Collings D1A. I also have a Carbon Acoustic "CA" (Carbon Fiber - great guitar) and I have some mandolins, Collings and a Hilburn. I have spent toooooo much $'s on instrumetns asnd am now enthralled with Ukulele's. However, the kind of instrumets I have are way more expensive than Ukulele's and the trades would be very much "uphill" my way. I, however, do like to trade and most anything I have, instrument wise, is subject sooner or later to being moved along. I like the Pono's, I like cedar or redwood, or spruce tops and I like tenors or baritones. Blessings, arktrav

Mouthy1
02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow you have some great guitars! I sold the cedar Pono but have the cedar 5 string boat paddle! I am guessing we are wayyyyy off on price. Maybe we should discuss via email. Email me your guesses on prices so we can see how way off we are. Michaeljboehm@msn.com

Thanks

lookingforcurly
03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Here is my 2 cents. Over the past 25 years I have owned a bunch of guitars including 7 Martins, 13 Taylors, some high end boutique guitars, an old 1975 Guild D-40, and an older Larrivee OM-09 cedar top. The Martins I owned included '67 000-18, new '92 D-18, '74 D28, '74 and '86 D35 (2), '89 D16A (rare ash model), '95 HD-28. The Taylors included LKSM-6, custom 710, 2 other 710's, 714CE, GA3-12, 512 NAMM custom, 510, 315K, 355K, Baby, T-5, and GAWS. This is purely a matter of personal taste, but the only Martin I miss is the '86 D-35; whereas all but one of the Taylors were very much loved. The '74 Martin D-35 was good for firewood only, yet I sold it to a music store for $1100 10 years ago. I have had the Larrivee for 20 years now and it will never leave me. Great fingerstyle guitar. The Guild D-40 is my beater, and frankly in my opinion a much better guitar than any of the martins I owned. My main guitar for the past 12 years is a Collings D1, which is in a class by itself and much more expensive than any of the others. I also felt the 15 series Martins were excellent values, especially the 000-15 and OM-15, but I never owned one.

Mouthy1
03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I have a Breedlove and I am starting to see what a great guitar it is. I am not stuck on martins anymore since the post. In fact I really want a cheaper Blueridge! It sounds like you have had a great run of legendary guitars and I value your opinion so I am not stuck on Martins. I did spend up getting one with EaiR and it's great but my Breedlove is superior in its complexity. Thank you for your input!!!