Wanted: Martin Guitar- some good ukes (Pono,Mainland, Boat Paddle etc)

Mouthy1

Reaction score
I am trying to learn guitar since my wife is finally interested in doing something like that. I bought 2 guitars for her(I have issues on buying too much in case you didn't know this) and 1 for me. She decided she liked my Taylor GS Mini so she took that one and left me with the 2 I don't like. I sold one of them off and will most likely sell the other one off. I went to Guitar Center and Dusty Strings to play some that guitars and see what else I like. I like the Martin sound the best. If anyone has a Martin laying around and would be interested in Uke trades(don't worry, no matter how many I trade I have more!), let me know.

Currently all the ukes I have are keepers so this isn't the easiest to come up with what I would be willing to part with. I will name a few brands and you can contact me to discuss: Pono Cedartop Tenor acoustic/electric, Tenor Boat Paddle Cedartop, Mainland concert(s) cedar and open headstock, Pono Mohagany Tenor(DARK wood version, and maybe some more. Let me know and I will always be a Ukester but I thought I would try guitar too. I may have some cash to kick in too. Thanks!

Oh, I like some Taylors too so if you have 'em, you can send me a PM too.(mostly the 314ce)

what guitar might you part with? thanks

I had a Taylor 314ce a couple of years ago that I regretfully sold. It was quite a player. I don't think you would go wrong with choosing that brand and model. Mine had the expression system for the electric part of it.

guitar

I tried a bunch and the 314 played great. I think the Martin Rosewoods sounded most interesting:) I like the mmv and the d18. I think the d16rgt was very nice too. I just bought a Breedlove and it is perfect. It has great depth and bass but great miss too. Anyone have something, shoot me a pm. I am thinking about selling the Pono cedartop tomorrow.

are youistill trying to trade? Do you by chance still have the pono? I, like you, have too much stuff (Ukes, madolins, guitars, bassees, etc) I might be interested in the pono. In the guitar range, I have martins, goodals, collings, Huss and Daltons, and in the mandolin line I hae primarily collings. Blessisngs, arktrafv

Always trying to trade...that's just what I do! PM me and let me know whatcha have. I want a OOO oraybe a parlor. Thank you

I have a decent 70's Japanese Martin copy that would make a nice straight trade for one of your Ponos. It has the name Nagoya on the headstock. Solid spruce top--00 size. When I bought it, I could only find info on the D size. I put in a bone saddle, and it sounds pretty darn good. I don't have a case, but might be able to find something to put it in. PM me if you want more info. Where are you located?

Mouthy1, describe the Boat paddle uke and the Pono cedar top.. Is the Pono a slot head? I have some Martins but at the current moment they are on consignment with a music store in St. Louis (Music Folds) They are two Custom 0000 (M size) Martins, each with Adirondick tops one "hog" and one EIR., A Huss and Dalton Custom Sunburest Slope sholder with a "Addy" top and I have a '46 Martin D18 (this one will probably not be involved in any trades, but you never know), a Goodall traditional Dreadnaught and a Collings D1A. I also have a Carbon Acoustic "CA" (Carbon Fiber - great guitar) and I have some mandolins, Collings and a Hilburn. I have spent toooooo much $'s on instrumetns asnd am now enthralled with Ukulele's. However, the kind of instrumets I have are way more expensive than Ukulele's and the trades would be very much "uphill" my way. I, however, do like to trade and most anything I have, instrument wise, is subject sooner or later to being moved along. I like the Pono's, I like cedar or redwood, or spruce tops and I like tenors or baritones. Blessings, arktrav

Wow you have some great guitars! I sold the cedar Pono but have the cedar 5 string boat paddle! I am guessing we are wayyyyy off on price. Maybe we should discuss via email. Email me your guesses on prices so we can see how way off we are. Michaeljboehm@msn.com

Thanks

Here is my 2 cents. Over the past 25 years I have owned a bunch of guitars including 7 Martins, 13 Taylors, some high end boutique guitars, an old 1975 Guild D-40, and an older Larrivee OM-09 cedar top. The Martins I owned included '67 000-18, new '92 D-18, '74 D28, '74 and '86 D35 (2), '89 D16A (rare ash model), '95 HD-28. The Taylors included LKSM-6, custom 710, 2 other 710's, 714CE, GA3-12, 512 NAMM custom, 510, 315K, 355K, Baby, T-5, and GAWS. This is purely a matter of personal taste, but the only Martin I miss is the '86 D-35; whereas all but one of the Taylors were very much loved. The '74 Martin D-35 was good for firewood only, yet I sold it to a music store for $1100 10 years ago. I have had the Larrivee for 20 years now and it will never leave me. Great fingerstyle guitar. The Guild D-40 is my beater, and frankly in my opinion a much better guitar than any of the martins I owned. My main guitar for the past 12 years is a Collings D1, which is in a class by itself and much more expensive than any of the others. I also felt the 15 series Martins were excellent values, especially the 000-15 and OM-15, but I never owned one.

I have a Breedlove and I am starting to see what a great guitar it is. I am not stuck on martins anymore since the post. In fact I really want a cheaper Blueridge! It sounds like you have had a great run of legendary guitars and I value your opinion so I am not stuck on Martins. I did spend up getting one with EaiR and it's great but my Breedlove is superior in its complexity. Thank you for your input!!!

Top Bottom