Fond memories of last year's NAMM

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
I have some great memories of the NAMM Show last year. I love wandering round Hall E, talking with friends and checking out what is new. Most of the time though it is really hard work and very hard on the feet.

However, it is each day after the show that I get to play the uke. High points for me last year were (in no particular order):

1. The NAMM Jam after the show on Saturday evening. Wonderful to play and chat with friends old and new.

2. Meeting people that I have known for a long time but have never talked with in person.

3. The shrimp and good company at Bubba Gump's on Saturday night.

4. Seeing and hearing big names play. Apparently someone called Steve Vai is playing this year. Don't know who he is, but he is supposed to be quite famous. There's also a chap called James Hill. He has my taste in check shirts and plays the ukulele quite well, I'm told.

5. Jamming with friends. Here are 4 videos I recorded last year. Recorded one after the other with no rehearsal in Aldrine and Aaron's motel.

Last edited:
Ken,

Steve Vai is a very famous heavy metal guitarist, mentor to many others. Recently he recorded with a famous female classical guitarist. He is obviously open to many kinds of music and it sounds as though he is venturing into the world of ukuleles.

As a high school teacher in California I come into contact with many students who love heavy metal in all its forms.

Even though metal isn't my music, at all, I respect these students for their musicality. Amazing finger work. It won't take much to tip them into the world of Bach. Nothing like a Bach fugue to reach a heavy metal guitarist.

If I read the bit about James Hill in the same way I read the bit about Steve Vai, it sounds like Ken knows who he is. :)

I know what you mean about lots of those musicians who dig metal. They'd see me coming from opera, and would try to explain metal as related deeply in classical roots. They were preaching to the choir, if Beethoven were alive, he'd be a fan of shredding.

If I read the bit about James Hill in the same way I read the bit about Steve Vai, it sounds like Ken knows who he is ...

Yes and no.

I certainly knew he was some sort of guitarist, but I honestly didn't know what sort of music he plays or what he looks like. I have jammed with James many times, but if I were jamming with Steve and he were sitting right by me, I wouldn't recognise him.

Looking forward to that good company at Bubba Gumps again.

Yes and no.

I certainly knew he was some sort of guitarist, but I honestly didn't know what sort of music he plays or what he looks like. I have jammed with James many times, but if I were jamming with Steve and he were sitting right by me, I wouldn't recognise him.[/QUO

After jamming with Steve, you would know! Everyone in the uke community thinks James Hill is famous but the rest of the rock world would be excited to hear that Steve Vai is playing! LOL

Top Bottom