New Kala Acacia Travel for 2012

emmaemme

Reaction score
Hi,
I came across the Kala 2012 catalogue in which I noticed they have Golden Acacia Travel Ukes.

Screen shot 2012-01-13 at 13 Jan 22.29.51.jpg

I have a spruce top travel that I like a lot and I'd really like to get hold of an cedar top one, I hadn't heard about these and thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Looks sweet. I'm still kickin myself that I didn't pick up a solid lacewood travel uke before they were discontinued. This may be a sweet consolation prize. Have played all the sizes of Kala travel ukes, an I only like the sound on the tenor size. Makes me nervous I didn't see the new Kala resonator in the catalog....or did I miss it?

A quick google for the tenor KA-GATU-T shows it selling for $279.00... seems like a lot for a solid top, they better sound good.

You're right, no sign of a resonator.

I have them in. They are about $100 +/- more than the spruce. I was a little concerned with the thin body because the Acacia can be quiet... but nope, Kala did it again. They have a nice mellow tone that comes with the Acacia, but the projection is amazing!

I have a Kala spruce top travel tenor ukulele, and a few months ago bought a Kala golden acacia top travel tenor from HMS (sorry Mim, but I couldn't find one in your eBay store at the time!). (I bought the second travel tenor so I could keep one at my parents' house, as I'm visiting them more frequently as they age and having one there saves me the hassle of schlepping it on the plane all the time.) To my ears, the spruce travel tenor is a louder than the golden acacia travel tenor, which I think is attributable to the basic difference between spruce and tenor as soundboard tone woods, but as Mim said, it projects nicely even though it's thin. I'm not sure it's worth the extra $100 over a spruce top if you don't care about the difference between spruce being bright and acacia being more mellow, but the golden acacia -- both the solid top and the laminate back and sides -- is very pretty, and if you prefer the mellowness of acacia over the brightness of spruce, then it's a great way to get the sound you want in a thin travel ukulele.

I have a Kala spruce top travel tenor ukulele, and a few months ago bought a Kala golden acacia top travel tenor from HMS (sorry Mim, but I couldn't find one in your eBay store at the time!). (I bought the second travel tenor so I could keep one at my parents' house, as I'm visiting them more frequently as they age and having one there saves me the hassle of schlepping it on the plane all the time.) To my ears, the spruce travel tenor is a louder than the golden acacia travel tenor, which I think is attributable to the basic difference between spruce and tenor as soundboard tone woods, but as Mim said, it projects nicely even though it's thin. I'm not sure it's worth the extra $100 over a spruce top if you don't care about the difference between spruce being bright and acacia being more mellow, but the golden acacia -- both the solid top and the laminate back and sides -- is very pretty, and if you prefer the mellowness of acacia over the brightness of spruce, then it's a great way to get the sound you want in a thin travel ukulele.
:agree: I got to test them side by side at NAMM in January. Even on the noisy convention floor, I could hear a clear difference between the Golden Acacia and the Spruce top travel ukes. The Spruce top was louder and brighter, but the Acacia was really beautiful.
–Lori

Top Bottom