"Mainland Style" Concert

Hmmm... looks like a Mainland, at least superficially...

Since the seller says that it is built in China, it very probably IS more than LIKE a Mainland - it may well be built in the same factory as Mainland, Kala, & Ohana (and who knows how many others). The functional difference w/Mainland is that Mike (hoosierhiver) receives his ukes from China directly to his shop in Nashville, IN where each individual uke gets completed & setup (ever notice that you can order different tuners or pickup options on Mainlands?). Mike & Tookta's setup & attention is what sets Mainland off from its "peers" from that factory. [NOTE: I own & have owned multiple Mainland's & Kala ukes & really want a couple of Ohana's, but have played many owned by fellow ukers., BUT I'm not a retailer, luthier, or do I play one on TV.]

Not the same factory. I know where this uke came from and their source is very unreliable in regards to quality and very questionable when it comes to ethics. They have tried sell their ukes are "the Mainland source" before.

You can also by "Stratocasters" made by no-name foreign companies for $150. They will never be Fender Stratocasters, and this ukulele will never be a Mainland.

Especially when buying online the source is important. You might of course get lucky and receive the uke made on a good day that was set up by the factory's best tech. Most likely you wil get a uke that looks nice on the wall...

Yeah, you can get "Givson" guitars cheap, too.

Rope binding does not a Mainland make. The sad fact is some (*&^&^% fools are going to buy this crap to save money and then think the junk they are likely going to get is representative of a Mainland.

John

Top Bottom