Strapbuttons on a Dolphin

ukuhippo

Reaction score
I'm aware of the leashes and lashes etcetera, but I want to put two strapbuttons on one of my Dolphins. Has anyone done this before and what are the things to consider ?
(did I mention plastic already?)

I have one installed on the bottom bout of my daughters Dolphin as shown in the pic below. (Her Dolphin is black with a black button, so it's hard to get a good picture.) Just pre-drill the hole for the screw that goes through the button strap before installing it. I also recommend a leather washer between the ukulele and button. For placement, take a measurement between the top and back of the bottom bout and divide that measurement by half. For centering the hole, I just eyeballed it and used the second and third string on the bridge as my guide. I didn't bother with the second button. She has an Ukeleash for her dolphin. It has a small strap that fits around the head. The attachment piece for the button is an accessory that needs to be purchased separately. Another possibility is to find a Mandolin strap. They can also go around the head or have an attachment piece that goes onto a lower tuning ear.
pono-pkc1e-4.jpg

I recommend you check out the tutorial guides on youtube. They're very helpful to picture what I tried to describe above and may give you some ideas of where to install the second strap button.

Put masking tape over the area you're about to drill, so the drill bit doesn't waggle and mark a nice 4 inch line across your instrument.

#toptip

I have one installed on the bottom bout of my daughters Dolphin as shown in the pic below. (Her Dolphin is black with a black button, so it's hard to get a good picture.)

Succes is all I wanted to hear, thanks. Do you happen to remember which strap button it was? Or are they all about the same?

I'm not sure on the manufacturer since it was given to me by a friend who had some extras lying around. It looks like these:
Strap_Buttons_sm.jpg
StewMac, Elderly and Musician's Friend all carry something similar to it. I have one installed on my tenor and I have to complaints.

Attachments

• strap buttons.jpg
    strap buttons.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom