Tenor Baroq-Ulele

reneesarah

Reaction score
My tenor baroq-ulele arrived via UPS this week. It is lovely. The rounded back makes it somewhat of a challenge to hold and play- a strap really helps. It came extremely well packed. There were a few minor scratches on the back of the neck, but otherwise it was in good shape.

The baroq-ulele was definitely not set-up in any way when I received it. It was basically unplayable. I tuned it four times before it would hold tuning at all, and the nut and bridge were set way too high. Since I don't know how to do set-up work myself, I took the baroq-ulele to a music shop, and they worked on the nut and the bridge, did a few other things, and put on some new strings.

It is playable now. And I am in another seventy bucks in for setting it up right. The nut was rough on both sides, so it had be taken out and sanded. If you know how to do this kind of work yourself you might not be out the extra bucks.

Initial impression: Pretty. Somewhat fragile (sound hole). Acceptable, but not impressive sound. When adding a case and set-up the costs start to mount up. The keys on the Roosebeck case are useless. (I was warned at the music store that if I tried to use them I might lock up the case and not be able to get it open again.) Interesting as an attractive novelty uke. As others have suggested before- definitely not the first uke someone should buy when just beginning.

A bit harsh in some areas there, in particular the set-up and the keys on the case (does anyone ever use those silly locks?).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong/being pedantic, but isn't every setup tailor made to the individual? When I took my Sceptre to my luthier I took along another uke and asked him if he could lower the height so both were the same. Maybe it's just me, but I know what's comfortable for me may not be so for others.

/twopenneth

This wasn't set up to meet my needs as an individual. It was set-up to make the uke playable by anyone. It wasn't playable, especially because of the high nut, when I received it. I just wanted to let my fellow uke players know that if you buy a baroq-ulele that you may be looking at significant set-up costs (unless you can do that yourself) before you can play it at all. The one I received may be an exception in this regard, but I kind of doubt it.

reneesarah, may I ask where you bought it? And it's a Mid-East, right? Or is someone else selling baroque-leles manufactured by another supplier?

Mine came with a padded gig bag with Mid-East embroidered on it, so I don't know where the hardshell case comes in.

I bought it from Music Factory Direct via Amazon.com. It is by Roosebeck. Their pricing was better than going through Mid-East. Now that I am getting over the disappointment of having received an unplayable instrument and having to spend $70 to get it in shape where it can be played, I am really enjoying playing it. Did yours need set-up to be playable? How are you liking it? (I bought the hardshell case separately.)

I bought it from Music Factory Direct via Amazon.com. It is by Roosebeck. Their pricing was better than going through Mid-East. Now that I am getting over the disappointment of having received an unplayable instrument and having to spend $70 to get it in shape where it can be played, I am really enjoying playing it. Did yours need set-up to be playable? How are you liking it? (I bought the hardshell case separately.)
I bought mine used from another UU member thru the Marketplace here and it seemed to have already been set up. :)

I will be honest with you... it's not one of my favorites. Yes, it's a cute novelty uke and it does play and sound basically okay, though I'd say far from spectacular. I hate how it slides all around my gut, even with a strap, and I don't really care for the violin-style tuning pegs.

Was this your first uke?

It handles alright for me with a strap. It sounds ok, I agree. No, it is not my first uke. I have a Lanikai CK-T tenor, an Oscar Schmidt concert (which was my first one), and just for amusement sake a sparkly blue Makala Dolphin. I have been talking to Mike at Mainland Ukes about buying a Red Cedar tenor from him when they become available. I know this is going to sound kind of silly, but I think I got kind of mesmerized by how beautiful the laser cut sound hole is.

I have been talking to Mike at Mainland Ukes about buying a Red Cedar tenor from him when they become available. I know this is going to sound kind of silly, but I think I got kind of mesmerized by how beautiful the laser cut sound hole is.
Cool! My Mainland red cedar tenor is one of my favorites.

I will admit that I'm not into bling, I wouldn't have purchased it based on the rope binding and high gloss finish. But I won it in a drawing and have to say that it's a fantastic instrument. Can't recommend it enough.

I also wanted a baroquelele for the cuteness factor. I wouldn't really recommend it for a daily driver.

Baroqulele set up, too

I got mine last week and compared to the tone of my Mya Moe, it doesn't rank favourably! I have ordered some new strings (D'Daddarios or Worths) and maybe look at the bridge and nut height.

I agree...not playable as is!

Top Bottom