Sitka & Eucalyptus Tenor

mrhandy

Reaction score
Hi all, its been a while sense I have finished a uke. This is officially the 13th uke that I have made. It is a eucalyptus body with sitka spruce top and cherry neck, Florida grown rosewood fingerboard and bridge. I strung it up today and I am pleased with the tone. Finish is true oil.

I thought I would post it up and see what others think, all feedback is welcome, good, bad, and ugly.

I am thinking of putting a pickup in this one, haven't decided yet.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 137
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 143
I spent an entire year drawing and measuring a collection of ukulele. It helped me sort out the best in what made a good headstock and bridge. I would say that these are the possible weak points in your design and that you may benefit from doing what I did in order to better find 'elegance and proportion'. Having said that, great job - I looked at eucalyptus a while ago but decided against working with it so at least you have suceeded in an area I didn't even dare to go :)

Thanks saltytri.

Thanks Pete. I would agree with you that my headstock is definitely a place I am working on with each build. The bridge is also something that I keep trying new things, and eventuely I will find the right design.

As for the Eucalyptus, I currently have a bunch available to me. I currently have a couple of pieces of euc that have some very wild figure, just have to be patient while they season.

Last edited:
Does it smell like Eucalyptus?

Actually the eucalyptus I have used has basically no smell.
Now camphor on the other hand could knock you over it smells so strong... for those who don't know, Vick's Vapor rub is made with camphor, some people really cannot be around it for very long as it can cause headaches and make you dizzy and such...

I have been keeping my eye out for a really nice piece of camphor to make a uke out of, I figure it will be perfect for someone with allergies or for those days when you have a head cold :)

The execution looks to be very well done. I agree with Pete on the headstock and bridge needing refinement.

My mate Micheal has a heap of Camphor Laurel which he's built some ukes and guitars out of. They look, sound and smell great. Stepping into his kiln when there is a batch in there will bowl you over, but sure does clear the sinuses.

I saw a vintage mandolin made from the stuff in Ohio - not to be sniffed at if you'll forgive the pun. I;d love some of this wood to make a uke form :) And that is a thinly disguised hint ;)

thanks all.

Great job! Is that a single piece side? I like how the tail is more rounded than usual.

Yes, it is a one piece side. I can't remember now what made me migrate toward a very rounded lower bout, but I personally really like it, and I think it lends itself much more to a 1 piece side over 2 pieces.

Ok here are a few more picks. I figured sense I need to work on the appendges, I would include better pics.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 46
wow i love it :) as i lived in australia for 5 years great to see a uke made from eucalyptus, how does it sound, it certainly isnt doing my UAS any good :) thanks for sharing

One of the things that I would suggest is to make the make the bridge height and saddle height much less. Perhaps the fingerboard is too thick and the neck set to the body is a bit too much which in turn is going to make the bridge/saddle combination too high. I would suggest a bridge thickness of 5/16" to 3/8" and a saddle height above the bridge of no more than 3/16", 1/8" being better. Keep working at it, you're doing a good job.

Hi BlackBear, my bridge is 1/4" high, and my saddle a 1/4" above that, so overall my measurements are within your suggested specs, with my bridge being a touch thinner then you suggest.

Here is a video sound sample of the uke. not the best as it is taken with my digital camera, but it gets the job done.

[video]http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=591036467749[/video]

Although the overall height is OK, the saddle height is too tall in my opinion. A tall saddle will increase the break angle and will tend to lean after time. Better to have the bridge thicker. I would make it a 3/8" bridge and a 1/8" saddle. This is my opinion but it is based on experience and hundreds of ukes.

Although the overall height is OK, the saddle height is too tall in my opinion. A tall saddle will increase the break angle and will tend to lean after time. Better to have the bridge thicker. I would make it a 3/8" bridge and a 1/8" saddle. This is my opinion but it is based on experience and hundreds of ukes.

thanks. I will work on it, I have been working on my headstock design today, and my bridge design will be getting some work as well, I will keep your advise in mind as I work on everything... I thought you meant that both looked to tall to you, resulting in to tall of a string height at or above the sound board.

Nice. There's just something too right about building one out of "ukelyptus".

I dream to have a uke someday made of aromatic sassafras. A neighbor built a small rowboat out of that when I was a kid. He used to tell me that you could put soda water into it and it would come out as rootbeer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom