Cigar Box Source?

sarastro

Reaction score
Hi,

Where do you get cigar boxes suitable for building a uke? I would like to acquire an older cedar or redwood cigar box. Thrift stores and garage sales are hit and miss and time consuming. There are a lot of listings on ebay but it's often hard to tell what you are getting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

I've found lots of cigar boxes at the Total Wine stores. totalwine.com. They're usually at the very front of the store. If you don't see any, ask. They cost around $1-$5 (sometimes they have really fancy nice ones).

Check out your local pipe/cigar/tobacco shop. Any place that sells 'high-end' cigars (Cohiba, Macanudo, Artura Fuente etc.) should have boxes. Our local shop has better quality boxes ranging from $8 to $10 per box -- not exactly cheap. But they discount if you buy more than one box at a time.

I get nice ones from the cigar shops. For older ones you are at the mercy of who has them. I hit the antique shops and also ebay for a special one. I have a round I do once a month or every other month, and hit a bunch of antique shops. The wife loves to go so I make it a fun outing and little does she know I am looking to. I also find one gallon gas cans now and again to make a gas can banjo. They sell before they leave the bench. Fun to make and sound quite good for what they are. I also look for old pie pans as I use them to make a make shift resonator. They sell fast too but they are not real loud. I have been thinking about trying to make one into a uke and see how it would go. I find that people like the unusual if it is cheap enough. Good luck on your search.

I have gotten about 15 or so in a two week period from cigar shops, most were free. Some cigar shops want $3 a pop...not bad. stockpile some if you can, word's getting out about the CBG's as are cigar box purses.

You can get really good quality solid wood cigar boxes from the Cigar factory in New Orleans. Maybe they could post them for you.

I find mine at Liquer Barn stores. You have to watch to see what they have available in the walk in humidor. Stores around me sell the cardboard ones (not great sounding) for $1 and the wooden ones for $3.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
There must be some high end cigar stores here in Seattle......

Top Bottom