What's up with naming your ukulele

I'm not really sure where it started, but I think people (me included) do it to "bond" with their ukuleles. It just creates a deeper attachment to them, kinda like naming a pet.

Perhaps it started when folks were having a hard time playing, blamed the uke, and gave it a name (SOB, etc. etc.) :rolleyes:

I name them so they know who they are when I call them out. It is part of the training process. How else am I going to yell at Bob (My Pineapple concert David Gill ) , who made a mess in my house again.
Also I need a name to put on the case tags that I put on the cases so they know where to go when it is time for bed.

I don't name my ukes.

But there is a tradition of musicians naming their guitars - probably the most famous example is BB King's guitar, Lucille. Wikipedia lists a few other examples as well.

Thanks for the links. I found out some things about Willie Nelson I didn't know. I am from Texas, and I met him once. He is very cool. I am going to print out Pancho and Lefty and learn it. Love that song.
I didn't name my new uke, but a friend did. He called it "Dreamaker" after I told him I put an irate nursing home patient to sleep with it. (No, I didn't hit her with it)

This topic comes up from time to time.There are those
who do and those who don't.I am firmly in the 'those who
don't' school of thought.My ukuleles (see my sig) get refered
to as 'My Rob Collins' , 'My Dolphin' etc.They are inanimate
objects fer petes sake not your children!!!!

im a builder so i name them, but if i were just your average collector i wouldnt. its just stupid.

Please kindly refrain from calling anyone here stupid. I named two of my ukuleles, and I am not stupid. We are a friendly bunch, and we welcome you, but please remember to be nice. We would love to see pictures of some of your work, if you will....

I have never named any of my guitars and don't plan on naming my Aneuneu either. I just called them by their names, my medallion, my Explorer, my V, and now it will be my Anuenue. Even though I do fall in love with instruments and they love me back I just never felt the need to name them.
Later,
Don

i don't bother naming my ukes, they like a lot of posters are just called fluke, mainland or dolphin, ain't got a problem if others do, its quaint

Both of my ukes have names. Partly for the reason of forming a 'bond', but mostly because I am a teenage girl.

The only one that really gets thought of by name though is the first one, Felix, and that's really only because my friends and family will refer to it as 'Felix' whereas Luke, the uke I play most, is just 'the ukulele' or the 'the nice ukulele' or 'the big ukulele'. The only other instrument of mine I've named is my guitar, and even that is just referred to as 'the guitar' for the most part.

Whatever floats your boat I guess p:

I am fickle I guess. I love two at the same time. My baritone and my concert. One name for both because I'm getting absent minded nowadays.
I just call out "Hey goodlookin whatcha got cookin" and whichever one is there first gets to play with me. I gotta hide here comes the guys in the white coats again. HaHa.

I actually have never named a musical instrument before - and I've had bunches of them. But there is something really special about my ukulele (and maybe all ukuleles). Since I hold my uke so close to my heart when I play, it just feels - different. I named my uke Selah. It is a musical term from the Bible (mainly Psalms).

It just seems to fit.

Top Bottom