Fox Style Bender

ukebuilder

Reaction score
My Dad is wanting to build a Fox style bender and is looking for plans of one. I see knock offs on ebay but never plans. I have showed him other benders but he likes the crank and threaded rod. Any one seen plans or know of where to get them. Hes not much for just making it with plans.

Last edited:
I don't follow. You want plans, because your dad doesn't want plans?
I am confused now, My dad is wanting fox style bender plans, I dont want anything other than help finding them. So if you dont have plans why even post? He does not like other benders, I have showed him plans of others but he likes the hand crank on the top of the Fox style. I hope this clears up the confusion.

My Dad is wanting to build a Fox style bender and is looking for plans of one..... Hes not much for just making it with plans.

Well I admit to being confused to. In any event you don't need plans, a good picture will suffice. I just did an Google image search for "Fox bender", a hundred images came up.

You can buy a crank and a threaded rod and put them on a simpler bender than the Fox unit. If you're going to use a blanket, you won't need room for the light bulb fixtures. If you use spring steel slats you won't need the springs mounted in the tower that supports the crank/threaded rod. These days the original Fox unit is a bit out of date. I'm sure Charles Fox would agree.

My Dad is wanting to build a Fox style bender and is looking for plans of one. I see knock offs on ebay but never plans. I have showed him other benders but he likes the crank and threaded rod. Any one seen plans or know of where to get them. Hes not much for just making it with plans.

Check out some of the pics on my photo album.if you're dad is looking for anything close just let me know and I'll send you the plan

I knew this post would bring some confusion. I can build from looking at something but my dad is not able to. He has to have drawings or plans. I offered to give him a simple bender that I had made but he has his heart set on one like he saw in the May A Moe videos. He wont buy anything, so he is set one making one. Thanks for the help. Sorry but when dealing with dads and trying to explain what they want can get confusing in its self.

I am confused now, My dad is wanting fox style bender plans, I dont want anything other than help finding them. So if you dont have plans why even post? QUOTE]

Why so snarky? If you can't convey what you want, clarification is needed.

I love the the word, SNARKY, I am going to draw up plans now that I am seeing that they dont exist. I was just trying to save time. I guess I felt that my first post was clear but I guess it was not. I got some help and I will take the dimensions and draw something up on MAsterCam. Thanks for the help guys.

A guitar maker's manual, also has plans for the lightbulb type bender, in case your local library has that book, which seems to be a popular choice in libraries.

The lightbulb benders have been improved on, but only at significant additional cost. If they are still going to let you have lightbulbs where you live. A lightbulb Fox was once state of the art And can be pretty much scraped together out of local materials on a weekend. However I am looking for something state of the art to replace the one I built in '98

The update to Fox's plan is in American Lutherie 104. you can basically figure out what is going on from the website pictures for the AL 104 back issue, and by looking at the the youtube video for the LMI bender. I wouldn't want to use the LMI bender if I was making my own forms. Not that it would be so bad, but at the margin not better. If I was making a new fox, I would make it open front, and probably also use heat blankets.

Last edited:
GEORGIA LUTHIER SUPPLY has the plans for ukulele and guitar fox style bender. Uke has all 3 sizes of waist. The hardware with the crank and springs and bolts and u bolts is about $70. from them, and I priced everything out, it is a better deal than buying separately. One caveat - there are no instructions. For instructions, you have to buy their book. and the purpose of the waist retainer and placement of the waist retainer is very unclear without the book. Fortunately, the book isn't too pricey.

Of course the whole light bulb box is no longer an option because the hot light bulbs are being phased out.

Anne

Be careful when bending your fox
index.jpg

Top Bottom