How Big is Ukulele in your Area?

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
I think most people in Hawaii either know how to play ukulele or know someone closely who does know how to play. I remember when I was in high school a lot of people used to bring their ukes to school and jam during recess together. I was the strange one that brought the guitar...

Anyways, how big is ukulele in your area? Do you get funny looks when you play it in public?

as far as i know, the its not very big in San Diego but i have noticed an increase in its popularity.

Attachments

• 1791.jpg
    1791.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 135
oddly, i hardly see it wherever i go. like rayan said, there were also ppl at my high school jamming during recess. but now in college, i see more ppl with guitars than ukes, a lot more. but then again, at this park that i work, lots of the kids know how to play... but this is hawaii after all, i wouldn't be surprised lol.

wow this thread actually struck a chord with me. brought back a lot of memories that led to me finally picking up a uke. i envy that music was such a popular thing while you were growing up where you did.

in my area of san diego during the time that i was growing up, all anyone listened to was either hiphop/rap and latin freestyle pop. it was also a time when being hard up was a necessity. so if you were musically inclined, you were either a band geek or a stoner rockerboy. i still listened to a lot of rock at the time but i didnt advertise it. and only admitted to listening to what was the popular choice.

it wasnt until i moved to the philippines when i was 16 that it was more accepted. at the time, i was just a beginner pianist/keyboardist. somewhere along that line i picked up a guitar and so did my little brother. the rest is history.

it was a nice welcome when we finally came back to san diego, as being able to play an instrument or two was much more accepted at that time. but to this day, the popular consensus seems to be that the uke is more of a novelty than a true instrument. i sang and played the IZ version of somewhere over the rainbow at a good friend's wedding reception two months ago. later that night while i was still toting my uke, a girl came up to me and condescendingly said "come on now, a uke? that doesnt make you manly at all!"... of course she looked like a douche, since everyone around her loved island style music, except her. but had the majority been the other way around, i could have easily been the laughing stock of the party.

i would love to see the ukulele gain more acceptance here in socal. but moreso, music in general.

well in germany its a little hard cause many people know the ukulele as a toy and as a funny instrument.
but there are moments some people just stop and listen a little...

when i play in the city, pedestrian zone last summer the most people pass by like to the most musicians. but some stop on a song they know... like mrs. robinson or hendrix.
i like this moment when the people have a smile in face. i began playing and rock out on it and you see the smile gets into a stunned face.
also like children... its so nice with em cause they just stop walking and talking and just look; and some little ones started dancing... haha. wow.
and .. well... 7 € in one hour... :)

all in all the uke is not to much supported here; that why i like it.
it's different, special and if you are a tough player you don't have to hide behind the guitar.
i hope i will get the uke into some serious gigs and musical entertainment like a real musician.
i know its hard and i need patience but i work on it... :rolleyes:

i live in the san fernando valley in california...well in a month though i will be living in Hawai'i, i never see anyone with uke out here, and it sucks though. But i do go to the south bay on sundays and this place we eat breakfast at called Bob's Okazuya (a hawaiian hole in the wall place) (really good hawaiian food and friendly people) they let me play with them there during breakfast. I am not good but its good practice. i hope next month i can find people to jam with at nights or something. I think that is the best practice you can have.

I go to Kapolei High and lots of people bring ukulele's and guitars to school. i even bring mine sometimes when ever there is some sort of event at my school. i think in Hawaii in general its really big. almost everyone can play the basic chords. even girls at my school play. and that brings me to ask...how does everyone know how to play surf? seriously lol

i live in the san fernando valley in california...well in a month though i will be living in Hawai'i, i never see anyone with uke out here, and it sucks though. But i do go to the south bay on sundays and this place we eat breakfast at called Bob's Okazuya (a hawaiian hole in the wall place) (really good hawaiian food and friendly people) they let me play with them there during breakfast. I am not good but its good practice. i hope next month i can find people to jam with at nights or something. I think that is the best practice you can have.

Are you moving to Oahu or just visiting?

Sorry Bradduh, But San Diego actually does have a big ukulele community. In Encinites, there is an ukulele club called the Moonlight Beach Strummers. They have about 100 members. and I know alot of ukulele players throughout San Diego. Its pletty awesome.
Mahalo,
Brandon

Sorry Bradduh, But San Diego actually does have a big ukulele community. In Encinites, there is an ukulele club called the Moonlight Beach Strummers. They have about 100 members. and I know alot of ukulele players throughout San Diego. Its pletty awesome.
Mahalo,
Brandon

where do i sign up?

well i used to go to radford high school in honolulu and yea durin lunch people would bring'em and jam. but over in san diego where i used to live and now up here in seattle not so much. i still bring my uke to school so people know it's not just a toy and sounds better than any guitar^_^ haha

well i'm currently around the UC Irvine area in Orange County, not popular at all. I know one person in Irvine who plays the uke, and maybe like a group of 5 people in Fullerton. People kinda chuckle when I tell them I play the ukulele, but it's mostly cuz of the type of personality i have, it doesn't match the instrument.

I'm the strange guy for having an ukulele. Probably the only guy at least in the county with one save for maybe a music teacher. It's cool though. I get a lot of attention for having it around.

I live in Australia, Melbourne.
They dont know what a ukulele is. :(
Its not big in Melbourne

Attachments

• 2927.jpg
    2927.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2929.jpg
    2929.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 2930.jpg
    2930.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 2931.jpg
    2931.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 2932.jpg
    2932.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 3798.jpg
    3798.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I guess over where I live I get attention for having my ukulele around. It makes me think I'm the only person with a ukulele in my whole state. I also dont think I find a teacher nearby. But that's why I'm so glad you guys made this website!
I'm pretty sure I'd go nowhere without the lessons! Plus, I can brag to all my friends that I learned how to play the ukulele with just the internet and a couple of guitar tips from my friends haha

Im located on the Left Coast in NC. Im pretty much going solo overhere. I am a self taught student of the Ukulele and I am greatful to forums like these and YouTube to keep me up on the latest techniques. If anyone is from the (910) area code, contact me for a jam session.

Attachments

• 3338.jpg
    3338.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 516
in high school, me and two of my friends played.

now that im in college, there are more than 3 people. like 10 ^_^

i need some UkuleleUnderground cards

Top Bottom