PDA

View Full Version : How Big is Ukulele in your Area?

rayan
12-04-2007, 07:29 AM
I think most people in Hawaii either know how to play ukulele or know someone closely who does know how to play. I remember when I was in high school a lot of people used to bring their ukes to school and jam during recess together. I was the strange one that brought the guitar...

Anyways, how big is ukulele in your area? Do you get funny looks when you play it in public?

BUGOY
12-04-2007, 07:40 AM
as far as i know, the its not very big in San Diego but i have noticed an increase in its popularity.

tripl3thr33
12-04-2007, 07:48 AM
oddly, i hardly see it wherever i go. like rayan said, there were also ppl at my high school jamming during recess. but now in college, i see more ppl with guitars than ukes, a lot more. but then again, at this park that i work, lots of the kids know how to play... but this is hawaii after all, i wouldn't be surprised lol.

NukeDOC
12-04-2007, 08:04 AM
wow this thread actually struck a chord with me. brought back a lot of memories that led to me finally picking up a uke. i envy that music was such a popular thing while you were growing up where you did.

in my area of san diego during the time that i was growing up, all anyone listened to was either hiphop/rap and latin freestyle pop. it was also a time when being hard up was a necessity. so if you were musically inclined, you were either a band geek or a stoner rockerboy. i still listened to a lot of rock at the time but i didnt advertise it. and only admitted to listening to what was the popular choice.

it wasnt until i moved to the philippines when i was 16 that it was more accepted. at the time, i was just a beginner pianist/keyboardist. somewhere along that line i picked up a guitar and so did my little brother. the rest is history.

it was a nice welcome when we finally came back to san diego, as being able to play an instrument or two was much more accepted at that time. but to this day, the popular consensus seems to be that the uke is more of a novelty than a true instrument. i sang and played the IZ version of somewhere over the rainbow at a good friend's wedding reception two months ago. later that night while i was still toting my uke, a girl came up to me and condescendingly said "come on now, a uke? that doesnt make you manly at all!"... of course she looked like a douche, since everyone around her loved island style music, except her. but had the majority been the other way around, i could have easily been the laughing stock of the party.

i would love to see the ukulele gain more acceptance here in socal. but moreso, music in general.

Duke
12-04-2007, 08:04 AM
well in germany its a little hard cause many people know the ukulele as a toy and as a funny instrument.
but there are moments some people just stop and listen a little...

when i play in the city, pedestrian zone last summer the most people pass by like to the most musicians. but some stop on a song they know... like mrs. robinson or hendrix.
i like this moment when the people have a smile in face. i began playing and rock out on it and you see the smile gets into a stunned face.
also like children... its so nice with em cause they just stop walking and talking and just look; and some little ones started dancing... haha. wow.
and .. well... 7 in one hour... :)

all in all the uke is not to much supported here; that why i like it.
it's different, special and if you are a tough player you don't have to hide behind the guitar.
i hope i will get the uke into some serious gigs and musical entertainment like a real musician.
i know its hard and i need patience but i work on it... :rolleyes:

CenizaT&K-01
12-04-2007, 11:20 AM
i live in the san fernando valley in california...well in a month though i will be living in Hawai'i, i never see anyone with uke out here, and it sucks though. But i do go to the south bay on sundays and this place we eat breakfast at called Bob's Okazuya (a hawaiian hole in the wall place) (really good hawaiian food and friendly people) they let me play with them there during breakfast. I am not good but its good practice. i hope next month i can find people to jam with at nights or something. I think that is the best practice you can have.

Landon
12-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I go to Kapolei High and lots of people bring ukulele's and guitars to school. i even bring mine sometimes when ever there is some sort of event at my school. i think in Hawaii in general its really big. almost everyone can play the basic chords. even girls at my school play. and that brings me to ask...how does everyone know how to play surf? seriously lol

rayan
12-04-2007, 07:24 PM
i live in the san fernando valley in california...well in a month though i will be living in Hawai'i, i never see anyone with uke out here, and it sucks though. But i do go to the south bay on sundays and this place we eat breakfast at called Bob's Okazuya (a hawaiian hole in the wall place) (really good hawaiian food and friendly people) they let me play with them there during breakfast. I am not good but its good practice. i hope next month i can find people to jam with at nights or something. I think that is the best practice you can have.

Are you moving to Oahu or just visiting?

CenizaT&K-01
12-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Are you moving to Oahu or just visiting?

i am moving to Oahu for good.

ibcruzn
12-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Sorry Bradduh, But San Diego actually does have a big ukulele community. In Encinites, there is an ukulele club called the Moonlight Beach Strummers. They have about 100 members. and I know alot of ukulele players throughout San Diego. Its pletty awesome.
Mahalo,
Brandon

NukeDOC
12-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry Bradduh, But San Diego actually does have a big ukulele community. In Encinites, there is an ukulele club called the Moonlight Beach Strummers. They have about 100 members. and I know alot of ukulele players throughout San Diego. Its pletty awesome.
Mahalo,
Brandon

where do i sign up?

Terrell
12-05-2007, 11:04 AM
well i used to go to radford high school in honolulu and yea durin lunch people would bring'em and jam. but over in san diego where i used to live and now up here in seattle not so much. i still bring my uke to school so people know it's not just a toy and sounds better than any guitar^_^ haha

pakiboy949
12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
well i'm currently around the UC Irvine area in Orange County, not popular at all. I know one person in Irvine who plays the uke, and maybe like a group of 5 people in Fullerton. People kinda chuckle when I tell them I play the ukulele, but it's mostly cuz of the type of personality i have, it doesn't match the instrument.

SingToMe
12-05-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm the strange guy for having an ukulele. Probably the only guy at least in the county with one save for maybe a music teacher. It's cool though. I get a lot of attention for having it around.

grappler
12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I live in Australia, Melbourne.
They dont know what a ukulele is. :(
Its not big in Melbourne

absters
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I guess over where I live I get attention for having my ukulele around. It makes me think I'm the only person with a ukulele in my whole state. I also dont think I find a teacher nearby. But that's why I'm so glad you guys made this website!
I'm pretty sure I'd go nowhere without the lessons! Plus, I can brag to all my friends that I learned how to play the ukulele with just the internet and a couple of guitar tips from my friends haha

NC28460
12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Im located on the Left Coast in NC. Im pretty much going solo overhere. I am a self taught student of the Ukulele and I am greatful to forums like these and YouTube to keep me up on the latest techniques. If anyone is from the (910) area code, contact me for a jam session.

uber_goober
12-12-2007, 06:43 AM
I'm in Warrington, PA...and I only know two people that play (and one of them is in my band). However, a lot of the guitar shops by me sell uke strings...so there must be players out there. I always get the "what's that" when I pull my ukulele out at coffee shop gigs.

Emilio Corpus
12-17-2007, 07:10 PM
someone at my high school thought my uke was a violin. but my school is pretty chill with it.

Fred Miu
12-17-2007, 07:22 PM
in high school, me and two of my friends played.

now that im in college, there are more than 3 people. like 10 ^_^

i need some UkuleleUnderground cards

Ikaru
12-18-2007, 03:21 AM
In Austria the Ukulele is pretty unknown as an real Instrument, as Duke said its more like a toy here. If you go to a music store and ask them if they have an ukulele. They will ask:" How old is the child?". My father still calls my Ukulele Ukele :D.
But the Ukulele is geting more attention. We starting to make an ukulele club. So far we are 12 people :D and getting more and more. Ask the same question in 2 years ;).

rayan
12-18-2007, 10:16 PM
In Austria the Ukulele is pretty unknown as an real Instrument, as Duke said its more like a toy here. If you go to a music store and ask them if they have an ukulele. They will ask:" How old is the child?". My father still calls my Ukulele Ukele :D.
But the Ukulele is geting more attention. We starting to make an ukulele club. So far we are 12 people :D and getting more and more. Ask the same question in 2 years ;).

Cool! Whats the ukulele club called?

Ikaru
12-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Sorry I should have said "..we will start to make ..". The name won't be cool.
Something like "The first Austrian Ukulele Club", We will speak about that at the next meeting, in january.

NukeDOC
12-19-2007, 07:15 AM
since the uke isnt so accepted there, you could call yourselves
First Austrian Ukulele Club, Unltd... or FAUC,U hehehe.

JumpingPulgas
12-19-2007, 07:37 AM
I live in Thousand Oaks, CA in Ventura County. I don't know or haven't met any one in the area that plays the uke. I'm sure there are some. I saw a couple of uke clubs on the internet that were local here and tried contacting them, but I never got a response. It's possible that these clubs no longer meet. So I am still looking for people to jam with...anyone out there local, please contact me.

My friends and relatives at first didn't take the uke seriously, but they're slowly coming around. I showed them some clips from Jake and Aldrine, so I think that really helped change their views about the uke.:D

CenizaT&K-01
12-19-2007, 10:45 AM
I live in Thousand Oaks, CA in Ventura County. I don't know or haven't met any one in the area that plays the uke. I'm sure there are some. I saw a couple of uke clubs on the internet that were local here and tried contacting them, but I never got a response. It's possible that these clubs no longer meet. So I am still looking for people to jam with...anyone out there local, please contact me.

My friends and relatives at first didn't take the uke seriously, but they're slowly coming around. I showed them some clips from Jake and Aldrine, so I think that really helped change their views about the uke.:D

i live in encino for the next couple of weeks...if you wanna jam

unplaned
12-21-2007, 02:56 AM
Here in the south east of England I am very lonely as far as the uke go's, havent met any other peeps who play uke locally. The only time I have ever played/jammed with other people was at a workshop in london last month. Any one else in the south east uk out there?

seeso
12-21-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm in Chicago, and there are some ukulele clubs and such here. I regretfully have not been to any, so I can't offer any critiques. There's a YouTuber by the handle of Terry Truhart that has one. I'm planning to check that one out soon.

There's a folk school here in town that offers classes. It's called the Old Town School of Folk Music. I bought both of my ukuleles there. I haven't taken any of their classes, though...

Among the musicians I hang around, I have swayed most of them to stop looking at me like I'm crazy when I bring this thing out with me. It was tough, though!

I think the ukulele is starting to gain acceptance here, but there's a long way to go.

Iain
12-22-2007, 02:06 AM
Pretty much non existent, I know no one else with a uke. They have a couple in the music shop but the guys in there know near nothing about it, not even the tuning!

peterng_20
12-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Ukulele is not that popular in my area. I live in Grimsby, Ontario, Canada and guitars are more popular around here. However, the music store here promotes ukulele. I am probably the first student to bring a ukulele into my highschool since I've never seen anyone bring one in. The music class do not even have one. I know few who own a uke, but do not promote it and let the uke sit in the basement to collect dust because they are simply toys to them. I am now sharing it with my friends and I hope to promote ukulele into this community. Wish me the best and to those who are living in towns or cities like me, I wish you the best too (:

mcarreon89
12-27-2007, 11:28 AM
hey there im in sd and i have about fifteen plus buddies that i jam with and they all play. so if your ever down let me know. i posted a thread on general discussion about it.

mcarreon89
12-27-2007, 11:32 AM
deep. and completely understandable. im on youtube and believe that you have seen some of my videos. and the uke is huge in san diego. let me know so we can jam jam jam

rklicsu
02-04-2008, 06:24 AM
where do i sign up?

Hey NukeDOC,

Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers is a Ukulele group spreading the Hawaiian spirit through song and hula dance. We meet every Wednesday at 6pm at Todays Pizza (760-753-6425) (481 Santa Fe Drive, Encinitas, California 92024) in north county San Diego. Everyone is welcome to come, bring your uke.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=257829263

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MoonlightBeachUkeStrummers/

NukeDOC
02-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Hey NukeDOC,

Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers is a Ukulele group spreading the Hawaiian spirit through song and hula dance. We meet every Wednesday at 6pm at Todays Pizza (760-753-6425) (481 Santa Fe Drive, Encinitas, California 92024) in north county San Diego. Everyone is welcome to come, bring your uke.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=257829263

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MoonlightBeachUkeStrummers/

wow. encinitas is about an hour drive from me. and i dont get off work till about 6. sometimes later. damn.

Orlando
02-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I live in CT, and its basically unheard of (at least as far as the college kids I know). I've convinced my brother to start playing as well as a few people at my college to accept it as a real instrument, but other than that...I don't hear much about it...:(.

JosephBautista
02-04-2008, 06:57 PM
well not really big but like fred said we bringing sexy back ;) gettin the uke known out here in p town (pleasant hill DVC campus)

Weezy
02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
It's not big at all in FL, my friend and I are the only people I know that own ukes. My friends think it's really neat that I play because I can play songs they know, and they sing along so it's all gravy.

UkeBoy916
02-05-2008, 04:30 AM
not big at all. lol, i live in the suburbs of Sacramento, people always wonder what i'm carrying around.

davoomac
02-05-2008, 05:00 AM
When I first started playing the uke in probably around 2002-2003 the uke was relatively unknown in Guam. Yes, we did listen to alot of the popular hawaiian music, but I never saw anyone playing a uke. My friend Eleo was the one who introduced me to the ukulele and I guess I just fell in love with the instrument! hehe I listened to all those old island songs specifically braddah IZ, krater boys, pure heart...etc. I just had to learn em all!

I started to bring it to school every day, and for the longest time I was the uke kid. It seemed to catch on because everyone wanted to buy a uke and bring it to school after a while. There was nobody to jam with though and I never had the opportunity to learn from a teacher.

Within the past few years theres been a ukulele explosion on Guam! JB's ukulele hut, the first music store that sold exclusively ukuleles opened up too. They hold open uke night every week too I believe. All the kids love to play now. It's great to see all the kids learning music too.

Seems like theres been an ukulele explosion on the internet too. Lots of new material, tabs, videos, covers all featuring the uke.

E-Lo Roberts
02-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Come on dudes, I got you all beat. I swear it feels like I am the only uke player in the hills of Kentucky! If it ain't mandolin, banjo, fiddle, or country "gitar" they don't want to hear it.
However, this spring I am planning to finally add it to my patio gig, and be the first in this town to put a uke on stage.

Let it be known that the Uke Rocks! And that e-lo is here to tesify, spread the word, and "represent" Kentucky for UkuleleUnderground!...

ukeky
02-05-2008, 05:44 AM
hey e-lo. it makes the 2 of us!
lexington, ky

E-Lo Roberts
02-05-2008, 06:06 AM
hey e-lo. it makes the 2 of us!
lexington, ky
Boy are we lost! hahaha...

kharmachanic
02-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Alohowdeedoo,
Im on the SSE Shore of Hawaii'r. better known as Georgia. and here they throw empty budweiser bottles at ukulele players..
Imagine if you will.. a lava-lava, hawaiian shirt and converse high top wearin long haired old man totin a small case appears at an open mike.. which happens to be in a sometimes biker bar.. opens the case.. whoops it out.. and viola.. beer bottles in the air.. luckly I have developed the finely tuned reflexes of a cat like creature not unlike the chupcabra of S. American legend.

I have heard there are a few others.. it is possible they have not overcome the fear of the light (Bud Light.. bottles not cans) .. but i have yet to meet them, for now I toob it.. also Kharmachanic (http://www.youtube.com/kharmachanic) on the YouTube...

I have a ukulele club.. but for now there is only one, unless I can catch my son when his friends are not around then I can get him to play his uke.. then there are two.. It is called The Islandtime Strummers (http://www.islandtimestrummers.com/), SSE Shore .
I also have a little three piece combo, but the other two guys rarely show up..

UKES ROCK!!!!!!

Mortsnets
02-05-2008, 02:03 PM
some San Francisco Bay Area ukeactivity:

Berkeley Ukulele Club 2nd & 4th Wed. each Month at DaSilva Ukulele Co.
February 24, 2008 Lil' Rev Workshop and Concert

Group Lessons at the Templebar Restaurant, Berkeley
http://www.templebartiki.com/class.html
ukulele@templebartiki.com

Group lessons at Music Works, El Cerrito Thursday Nights 510-232-1000
ecmusicworks@yahoo.com

Al Dodge and Randall Goni's ukulele classes at the Orinda Community Center
http://www.ci.orinda.ca.us/parksandrec/

Ukulele Festival Hayward, CA Sunday, April 27th. Held annually on the last Sunday in April, this event features ukulele talent from near and far. Live entertainment 10:30-4:00PM. Vendors line the courtyard with food, instruments, and plenty of music all day. Informal jamming.

Lessons:
Steven Strauss 510-663-7440 East Bay
Hiram Bell 650-873-1999 South San Francisco

Custom Ukes:

DaSilva Ukulele Co.
http://www.ukemaker.com/

Pohaku Ukuleles
http://www.pohakuukulele.com/index.html

Stores:

the 5th String, Berkeley
http://www.5thstringberkeley.com/

Music Works, El Cerrito
ecmuiscworks@yahoo.com

Thin Man Music, Alameda
http://www.thinmanmusic.com/

Schoenberg Guitars, Tiburon
http://www.om28.com/

Guitar Solo, San Francisco
http://www.gspguitar.com/index.jsp

ChiyoDad
02-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Mortsnets, you missed Gryphon Instruments in Palo Alto. IMHO, their selection of high-end ukes (http://www.gryphonstrings.com/inventory/instrument_page.php?Instrument=Ukulele&Query=Ukuleles) blows all the others away (except Schoenberg, Eric's got some vintage stuff there worth $$$$).

Does Hiram still teach?

Mortsnets
02-05-2008, 05:56 PM
ChiyoDad,

You are right, I forgot a good one, I have an East Bay centric view of the universe. Yes, Hiram still teaches and gives workshops, in fact he has two ukulele workshops scheduled at Gryphon on May 3.

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/lessons_rentals/workshops.html

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
most likely im the only person that plays.. no joke, LOL!

AdamTheHobo
02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
i live in the middle of a cold forest covered mountian and i even get strange looks if i take my guitar out in public or to school

phresh
02-07-2008, 08:42 PM
alot of people actually look at me weird and laugh. but then stop and say, "can you really play?"

i guess it's still un heard of here in norcal. but heh i'm here to change all that =] haha just kidding. heh it's picking up popularity. but slowlyyy :cool:

JoPepe
02-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Here in San Diego they have a lot of people that play. Clubs, Bands, and for fun. San Diego has a really big Islander population.

nikolo727
02-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Well I live in Pennsylvania, so everyone around me thinks im a fruitcake because, according to them i play a...ah what was it..."weird" instrument. Lol actually most of the people I talk to about it think its pretty cool, but im guestimating and ive talked to local music stores about this, and they agree, that im probubly the only person within 600 miles of my home that plays a ukulele. So yeah im apparently "different" but to me......its worth it!

drifterx
02-11-2008, 06:11 AM
i live in salinas CA and i know of one other guy that plays.. we had a lil jam session one time but that was when i was still learning... only been playing for about 2 and a half months... and now i got one of my good homegurls to start playing.. lol

DigableKid
07-24-2008, 06:27 AM
I have about 7 people (that I know of) at work that play the uke. SD is poppin' I tell ya.

uke142464
07-24-2008, 06:32 AM
person from where I live 1 :uh whats a yu-kulaylee??:confused:
person from where I live 2: Im pretty sure its an ancient greek god

mctrmt
07-24-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm in Lethbridge, Alberta- last year my husband and I started a club called The Chinook County Ukulele All-Sports in an attempt to attract more people to the ukulele. I'd say we have a stable membership of about 7 or 8.

But I am happy to say that UU member Vroominator will be joining us from Medicine Hat in the fall!

deach
07-24-2008, 07:14 AM
But I am happy to say that UU member Vroominator will be joining us from Medicine Hat in the fall!
Did he ever buy a new ukulele?

Renaissance-Man
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm in Central NJ. I play with a ukulele club in my area, once a month. Aside from a few uke clubs in the tri-state (NJ, NY, PA) area, I personally know of few lone ukulele players. When I do happen to find one, I make an effort to meet them. I think tuba players are more plentiful here, than ukulele players. :)

edmundwhitehead
07-24-2008, 11:21 AM
I think in England the uke is gaining popularity because the govornment are now trying to get little kids to learn it at primary school instead of the recorder - mainly cos the only ukes we seem to get in uk shops are 15 quid mahalos. I saw a guy playing the ukulele on the street near my school recently, but it's still quite rare, and generally considered to be a bit of a joke instrument.

We'll show 'em...

Waterguy
07-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I've never actualy seen anyone but myself playing one in CT but I know they are out there. This is after all the state where Fleas and Flukes are made. I've also found out about a ukulele club thats about a 30 minute drive from where I live. They get together twice a month so I know I will be making that drive pretty soon.

freedive135
07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I'll represent Denver.
I know there are at least 17 players here, the 12 in my uke 1 class, 4 in the uke 2 class and the guy at the shop that sold me my uke!!! The class before mine had 10 people in it they said.

We have a couple of local bands that play the Ukulele
boulderacousticsociety.net
ukuleleloki.com

The place I take lesson hosts a Ukulele Festival in February, swallowhillmusic.org

There are several Ukulele clubs here too.

drjond56
07-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm in Alabama. Anything but a dreadnaught guitar gets you a funny look around here--or if you play fingerstyle. I'm almost afraid to play fingerstyle ukulele--I might get carted off! One local high school has a mandolin group, but I just don't see any ukes being played around here. Two of the five music stores in the area each have a couple of the Asian import models, all of which seem to have been on the rack for awhile.

Jon

berylbite
07-24-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm the only person I know locally who plays one.

ricdoug
07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
I've met well over one-thousand ukulele players in the San Diego area, over the past year. It's a lot larger community, than the previous posts convey. Very large kanikapila groups, all around San Diego county. Ric

mctrmt
07-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Did he ever buy a new ukulele?

I don't know- I haven't heard from him in a while.

Plainsong
07-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Uke is still tough to find in stores although there is a good one around here that carries good Brükos and some decent imports. The music store guys are most likely to give you "the smile." Their loss in sales, becaues it's popular here. Popular enough to attract artists touring Europe, and popular enough to pack a small pub once a month. :D

cashew
07-25-2008, 07:18 AM
New York City area here-- I know of a few uke players, but no uke clubs for jamming. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.. :)

:rock:

one of our local stringed-instrument shops carries more ukes lately- nice ukes, and cheapy ukes-- its where I got my fluke :)

--Cashew

Bassukuguy
07-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Southern IL... Bleh, i can serously say i have never met another ukulele player, anywhere around these parts(let alone a club of any kind). But i am making efforts to try to change this trying to recruit people to the true way of the uke!

but no, no one in southern IL plays ukulele...

(V)@

juha
07-26-2008, 03:49 AM
Anyways, how big is ukulele in your area? Do you get funny looks when you play it in public?Uke wasn't very BIG in Finland about a year to two years ago, so something had to be node about it... There were quite a few ukesters around, but they were "all hiding in a closet and hadn't dare ot out them selves"... After having put our heads together with a handful of other uke-freaks I put up the first Finnish Uke-festival and the rest is history... as a matter of fact we now have one of the fastest growing and happening uke-scenes in Europe... We have also established and registered the FUN (Finnish Ukulele Network). FUN is a registered official society, devoted to promote all things uke in Finland... Check out our homepage at www.ukulelenurkka.net to find out what we've done and what's happening next!

Nelson
07-26-2008, 04:10 AM
Northern New Jersey.
Non-existent here.

Kanaka916
07-26-2008, 05:02 AM
When we kanikapila on Fridays at HSG, people look in and stand outside and watch - which is cool, sometimes tho I think it's more out of curiosity. Then we take it outside in the lot for a little bit and people just listen. Not too many questions tho. Most times there are 4-5 and sometimes gets as large 12. Some guys wanna learn and we try to offer tips and advice, help with chord progression and how to finger the chords and if we have extra song sheets we pass em out.

dhkane
07-26-2008, 08:48 AM
not big at all. lol, i live in the suburbs of Sacramento, people always wonder what i'm carrying around.

You need to head south on 99 to Laguna Blvd and check out the "Hawaiian Style Grill". Especially on Friday nights, the place is packed with ukulele players. They play all kind music from traditional hawaiian, raggae, rock and roll etc.

lovemissheather
07-26-2008, 02:44 PM
i just moved back down to the sacramento area. i have met three people who play the u kulele in that time - simply through visiting my friends recording studio and going to music shops around town. one female, two males.

the two guys dont play it exclusively, but they play. and they play well. one primarily plays the baritone uke. the other, a tenor.

i thought it was cool, because i have one of each. and then some...
bahahaha

but yeah.
three people out of how many? a lot, i know
but that was just through randomly meeting people.
i'm sure its much more popular than i am aware of.

:)

14twelve
07-26-2008, 02:47 PM
There's a ukulele club here in Brisbane, but I haven't been yet. They meet once a month, so I'm hopefully going to the August meeting. I'm not sure how many members, but it will be cool to meet other players in Brisbane.

Britna
07-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Not very big in my area at all.

Palmdale California... haha, no one really plays the uke in the desert besides me. hehe.

Poi Dog
07-26-2008, 04:26 PM
There were a couple hundred people that came out to Jake's concert in Ft. Lauderdale, FL - but where all those people stay at after da concert? Psshh... hell if I know. LOL Like I always say about Florida, get plenty Salsa - not enough Poi! :(

FHS-72
07-26-2008, 04:43 PM
There's alot of people from Hawaii in Cal so there's quite a bit of ukulele players here in Sac. There's more than I thought. Mainly alot of people with ties to Halaus and people that visited Hawaii and bought ukes there. Then there's us Old Fahts that use to jam eons ago back home after surf session. The more beers, the better we sounded.:D:nana:

ricdoug
07-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Not very big in my area at all.

Palmdale California... haha, no one really plays the uke in the desert besides me. hehe.

Actually, Britna, there is a Uke Club in your area:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/directory/player.asp?ID=2053

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/directory/group.asp?ID=138

bsting
07-26-2008, 06:12 PM
I just moved to San Francisco and I can't believe how popular the uke is in the bay area. All the music stores I hop into carry them, just today I saw someone walking down my street playing one (and this isn't the first time). They have uke nights at the Ka Leo Cafe down the street. People play ukuleles on Caltrain, hobos play the ukulele.....is it just me or does SF have uke fever?

tad
07-26-2008, 08:30 PM
I live outside DC-- it's not big out here at all. That said, I live within a half hour of Deach, and yesterday my next door neighbor-- who's in a group with five vocalists, three guitars, etc. asked me the best place to buy a uke locally... We're in the middle of a Renaissance, here, no matter how you cut it.

haolejohn
07-27-2008, 07:15 PM
I have met two others that play the uke in my area and only I still play. I picked the uke up when I lived on Maui and liked it because it was easier for me than the guitar. Now when I break it out everyone laughs because they think it is a toy. Sucks being on the main land sometimes.

KyleYankan
07-28-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm in PA, just south of philly. So far, I haven't met a single soul who plays ukulele, and only have seen 2 people on these forums from the same state. Luckily, one music shop around here orders my ukulele's, and strings, and another one has a whole range (three) ukulele's to choose from. That's about it. All my friends laughed at first, until I started playing songs. Now everyone wants a change to hold it, and strum it a little bit.

Howlin Hobbit
07-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I think tuba players are more plentiful here, than ukulele players. :)

Lucky you! Uke and tuba go together very well. Grab one of them and start jamming.

Ukulele is pretty large in Seattle. I can think of at least four bands (mine (http://www.snakesuspenderz.com/) included) and that's not counting the folks that play out as part of their uke club activities. There's several ukulele clubs, the largest being SUPA (http://www.seattleukulele.org/).

Dusty Strings holds a yearly uke weekend and has uke-related seminars at other times. Somebody or other puts on Uke-A-Palooza once a year.

UkEdman90
07-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Ukulele...Whats that?? thats all i get in ontario Calif. i think about 5 people play it in this area

mani saguana
10-06-2008, 08:41 PM
I live in San jose and up until the other I didnt know that anyone else in town played.
my friends were at the mall when they saw some random guy playing a ukulele and they thought it was me at first cus they had never seen anyone else with one either.

from what I have read though there is a decent amount of uke players in the bay area

jebus89
10-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Im from Northen England, all i ever get is

'What the hell is that?'
'Why do you play a toy guitar?'
'cool you not bad on that, so when are you gonna start to learn a real guitar?'

And the people that do recognise it just think im just playing it for a joke, and then theres the older genorations who just associate it with george fornby

SamWise
10-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Round here, the ukulele is small. Tiny, in fact. It's fair to say that the tenor is a good bit bigger than the soprano, and I guess the concert is somewhere in between. They're nowhere near as big as the guitar though.

ricdoug
10-07-2008, 07:02 AM
I've met well over one-thousand ukulele players in the San Diego area, over the past year

The current count is over 2,000 ukulele players in the San Diego area. The local music stores tell me it's much higher than that. They have a hard time keeping ukuleles in stock. Ric

http://www.carlsbadmusic.com/v2/ukuleles.htm

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/ukuleles.html

JoeyJr858
10-07-2008, 08:49 AM
way later after leaving Hawai'i... I was re-introduced to the uke in 1999. Even being in multiple halaus for years, I still felt like I was only 1 of about 10 people...tops... in San Diego. Many many people owned ukes, but didn't know the first thing about playing them. I knew there were others out there fresh from the islands who jammed, but it still seemed rare and unlikely that we'd ever cross paths, usually they were in the military stationed here then soon transferred out. Everything, as far as I knew, was word of mouth, and it was definitely not as exposed on the internet as it is now. I think w/ Napster, Limewire, Audio Galaxy, etc... and the rising popularity of groups like Three Plus, B.E.T., Opihi Pickers, Fiji, Manao Company, Ka'au Crater Boys n such... contributed to the younger mainland generation discovering the uke more (Jawaiian style mainly). Especially now w/ YouTube. It's just crazy! Honestly, I've never imagined 10 years ago that it would be as popular as it is now, especially the last 3-4 years... I'm seeing uke players at pretty random spots more frequently in SoCal. It's a beautiful thing seeing the ukulele embraced by people of all ages and backgrounds...

Ultimately, Big Big praise to Ukulele Underground for really uniting our community, as well as FleaMarketMusic (Jim Beloff). Big ups to all the uke tab sites too! Also, thanks to RicDoug also for always keepin us posted on uke groups/events in SoCal. Da bruddah is really involved down here!

Last thought...
if you like the music, buy it and support the artist! =)

me 2 centavos!
:D

mani saguana
10-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Ha I always get people that say "hey I like your tiny guitar"

JKoval
10-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I cannot wait... to pull my uke out at lunch in my school. Hamilton, New Jersey. I have yet to see a Uke. Although I've seen one in the local Music Box. But... it was a sixty dollar no-name so I can't expect to see any buyers.

-Jeff

RavenSeven
10-07-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm the only person I know locally who plays one.

I live here in Mobile as well. Even though I'm 100% sure you'd win, I think it would be hilarious to have some sort of Uke-Off: Loser-Leave-Town Match.

Heh.

It is good to know I'm not the only one, though.

unlucky07
10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I live in San Fernando Valley, CA. I picked up the Uke about 6 months ago on a whim, but I did not know anyone who played. The last two months I have seen three of my students bring their Ukes to jam with the Guitar players. The other kids laughed at first but it's slowly winning people over. Who knows... maybe it's the next big thing... again...

tori8984
10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Omaha Nebraska, Would not think there would be that much interest here in podunk. Turns out there is a group that meets at a local music store once a month. 15-20 people show up. I cant get to the meet this month, but will try in nov.

Way back once upon a time ukulele was quite popular and some older folks might surprise you with some ukulele skills. I know my uncle and Dad both can play some.

leaveit2jane
10-07-2008, 05:03 PM
There's a folk school here in town that offers classes. It's called the Old Town School of Folk Music. I bought both of my ukuleles there. I haven't taken any of their classes, though.....

It's a great resource. If the drive into the city didn't completely freak me out I'd go for some Ukulele....
I'm the only one I know playing one exclusively. I've planted several around, but with one exception, they are secondary instruments used as a break from another instrument (guitar, hammered & mountain dulcimer, piano, banjo, bass and various brass and woodwin). They are all getting played some, so it's a pod of about 6 of us - with at most 4 at any one time.

JKoval
10-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Central Jersey... I know my Music Box sells a few uke's... like one. But I've never seen anyone except my guitar teacher who just owns one. Who knows? :P

-Jeff

haole
10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Nearly unheard of on Long Island. I'm sure there are a lot more ukers around the city. But as of now, I'm the only uke player I know within 15 miles.

covinoch
10-08-2008, 04:43 AM
I'm currently in Vermont and the owner of the local music store plays from time to time and he tells me there is a Uke Group that gets together once a month, but it's like 2 hours away from where I live. I wish there were more people in my area that did play, but it's fall now and I don't think I'll be seeing anyone sitting outside playing when it's been around 30F-40F lately.

nikolo727
10-08-2008, 04:48 AM
I'm in PA, just south of philly. So far, I haven't met a single soul who plays ukulele, and only have seen 2 people on these forums from the same state. Luckily, one music shop around here orders my ukulele's, and strings, and another one has a whole range (three) ukulele's to choose from. That's about it. All my friends laughed at first, until I started playing songs. Now everyone wants a change to hold it, and strum it a little bit.

dude im with you. I live in right above Pittsburgh, PA and man the biggest collection of ukes that ive seen with my own eyes is three. and thats my collection. sure ive seen pictures, but ive never seen with my naked eye, the beauty of really nice ukes. i have a lanikai, a johnson, and a hilo. the last two are just poopy and i only have my lanikai to play. maybe next summer we can have a meet up in philly lol.

nikolo727
10-08-2008, 04:51 AM
I think most people in Hawaii either know how to play ukulele or know someone closely who does know how to play. I remember when I was in high school a lot of people used to bring their ukes to school and jam during recess together. I was the strange one that brought the guitar...

Anyways, how big is ukulele in your area? Do you get funny looks when you play it in public?

and yes i get funny looks, laughter, and sometimes scowls. :(

mhh
10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm in North Jersey, it's not happening here.

therimidalv
10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
I live near Boston, and you'd think there are a lot of different people, but no uke players. I went to guitar center and ALL the ukes were out of tune, so i tuned and played them all, all the while a guy who works there was amazed i knew how to play it. He also told me i was the only person that ever played them at all. Made me kinda sad, but hey, more ukes for me

muzikengineer
10-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Not too big here in Dallas, But I am gonna change that!! :D First my street, then the metroplex, and then World!!!!!! :nana:

:biglaugh:

Alot of the bands here are into that techno stuff....I'd rather slam my finger into a car door then listen to that stuff :eek: Since when are you a musician if you can take midi tracks and make annoying thumps? What happened to the people who actually play an instrument!! lol.....

JP

Howlin Hobbit
10-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I live near Boston, and you'd think there are a lot of different people, but no uke players.

There are tons of ukulele players in Boston and its surrounding 'burbs.

Start with Craig Robertson (http://www.robertsonstudio.com/) (and Ukulele Noir (http://www.ukulelenoir.com/)) and go from there.

The next Noir is a week from tomorrow at Johnny D's in Somerville.

laietildaend
10-14-2008, 03:56 PM
ARIZONA SUKS LIKE HELL AT DA UKE!!!!!!!!!!
i swear to dog brah
nobody like pleh uke
an if i teech one haole at skool
deh mit3 suk an den sum pirty:love: girl walks up an den she seh
"eh brah, u rok dat ting, u like rok tonite?"
den he's like "hell yah!"
den he giv me bak deh uke an i smesh it
i get home from skool an my mom whips me wit a branch kuz i wen krak my Kala ka-ce an we no hav da munny fo a nuddaH UKE
an i wuk my samoan shanehnehz off fo a nuddah one, DAM...
den i go teech a nuddah palagi how to pleh

ichadwick
10-15-2008, 09:20 AM
I may be the only adult uke player here. We have a gazoodle of guitar players, but not one will admit to playing the ukulele.

But I've posted some notices about creating a uke group and we'll see what erupts from below the calm surface of this small town. Hopefully not just kids. I break out in hives around children.

PS:
(Can someone translate the previous post for me?)

JKoval
10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
i swear to dog brah
nobody like pleh uke
i get home from skool an my mom whips me wit a branch kuz i wen krak my Kala ka-ce an we no hav da munny fo a nuddaH UKE

"I pledge to my religious diety, my brother.
No one around me plays the ukulele.
And when I teach some one at my school,
they may not be musically gifted and then an attractive member of the opposite gender walks up and she tells us,
"You are highly superior with that instrument, would you like to accompany me to the box-social tonight?"
And my apprentice replies, "Yes, my fair shrew."
Quickly, he hands me back the instrument and I introduce the finely crafted instrument to the concrete floor. When I arrive home from school, my mother severely beats my hindside with a branch from the willow tree because I broke my very expensive instrument she purchased off of Amazon. Her reasoning is 'we do not have enough extra currency for a replacement.'
Damn, my brother, I need to teach another student how to play."

It was a doosy.

-Jeff

Kanaka916
10-15-2008, 10:21 AM
i swear to dog brah
nobody like pleh uke
Eh Koval das pretty good. I'll translate this as best I can . . . Dis-illusioned being in Arizona, because he can't find anyone to jam with. The thought of teaching a caucasian person has caused some jealousy as well as frustration. The individual cannot play and has no sense of rhythm at all but a lovely female thinks he's a rocker and she invites the individual for a date. The individual returns the uke and in a fit of rage, our guy seriously damages his instrument. When he gets home, Mom gets wind of what happened and he is punished for his dastardly deed. Because of financial difficulties, another purchase is out of the question. Somehow, they are able to come to an agreement of some sort and he has to hoof it to find one. And alas, the adventure starts again . . .

Howz dat fo one translation . . . close or what?

rayan
10-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Eh Koval das pretty good. I'll translate this as best I can . . . Dis-illusioned being in Arizona, because he can't find anyone to jam with. The thought of teaching a caucasian person has caused some jealousy as well as frustration. The individual cannot play and has no sense of rhythm at all but a lovely female thinks he's a rocker and she invites the individual for a date. The individual returns the uke and in a fit of rage, our guy seriously damages his instrument. When he gets home, Mom gets wind of what happened and he is punished for his dastardly deed. Because of financial difficulties, another purchase is out of the question. Somehow, they are able to come to an agreement of some sort and he has to hoof it to find one. And alas, the adventure starts again . . .

Howz dat fo one translation . . . close or what?

You did a good job leaving out the less than PC parts. lol.

squirrelygurl
11-23-2008, 06:30 AM
lol, i dont think ive ever seen another person with a ukulele around where i am. Like you said, in hawaii basically everyone plays, or knows someone who plays, the uke but then i moved to new jersey and its just completely different. when i go out in public i always have people come up to me and ask what kind of instrument im playing, its so weird. lol

E-Lo Roberts
11-23-2008, 07:22 AM
lol, i dont think ive ever seen another person with a ukulele around where i am. Like you said, in hawaii basically everyone plays, or knows someone who plays, the uke but then i moved to new jersey and its just completely different. when i go out in public i always have people come up to me and ask what kind of instrument im playing, its so weird. lol

Squirrelygurl, sounds like here in cowtown U.S.A a.k.a. Lexington, KY. The checkout girl at Walmart..I had to describle what a Ukulele was. Then she asked if a lot of bands play them? When I play it on stage each week. People love the sound and comment on how well I play the "Mandolin"! I just tell'em.."thanks dude".. haha...e.lo....

sebi
11-23-2008, 10:36 AM
The ukulele is pretty popular here in Switzerland, but only among children. I see the problem with ukulele teachers in schools, who teach kids dumb songs, which kids don't really like playing and they lose interest in the instrument after a few years. Most of these kids go on learning the guitar, because the ukulele is seen as a "guitar for children" which is is not! Unfortunately that is the image the ukulele has here in Switzerland.
I am trying to sensitize people with my playing, showing that you can play cool songs on the ukulele and make it sound even more interesting than on a guitar or a piano. There's still a lot of work ahead, but if my vision of a Ukulele Day in Switzerland will come true, we might make a great leap forward.

primordial_uke
11-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm in Eugene, OR and the uke is pretty popular here. There is a monthly meeting of uke players, but I haven't gone, yet. One of our music stores has a really nice selection of ukes. I bought both my Flea and my Kiwaya there. And we have a yearly ukulele festival in October called Uketoberfest. This year we had Mark Nelson, Victoria Vox, and James Hill perform.

And Portland, a couple hours north also has a thriving uke scene, from what I've heard.

But of course, "popular" is a relative term. That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of people who don't know what a ukulele is, who think it's just for children, or who think it's a pre-guitar. Honestly, the next person who says, "When are you going to get a guitar?" is going to get clobbered.

fongie
11-23-2008, 10:18 PM
G'day & Aloha Wantoks[friends], my mate 'Tipper' and I are originally from Papua New Guinea [in the Pacific Islands]. We grew up around ukes but in our adoptive country Australia, they are very backwards but interest in uke is gaining. One thing I noticed though Aussies find saprano & concert ukes are to small so they opt. for tenors, which is a blessing for me[more on ebay].
Fongie

CurtainGuy
11-24-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm in the upstate NY capital region area.. and I'm definitely noticing a slow rise in popularity. When I go to open mics every once in awhile I'll see another person with a uke. I always jump up to talk to them haha.. I think I kind of like it this way though. People get all excited and intrigued when they see a uke.

Ukeluvr
11-24-2008, 07:06 AM
I firmly believe I'm the only guy in Central New York that plays the uke...I've been doing 200-250 shows a year at Senior Facilities for 3 years and though the previous generation enjoys my uke playing, I've never heard of another entertainer in the area integrating the uke into their act....SOOOOOO...if there are any closet uke players in SYRACUSE and the surrounding area....please come out.....show your true selves......organize.....there's strength in numbers.....

Ukeluvr
(aka Lawrence Serafini)

ShortCut
11-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Im in a small town in BC Canada.. Not very big here, when I tell people "I play the ukulele" they either are like " What is that", or "my 6 year old play that I think..." or my Favorite ussaly from other high school students, " The ukulele is stupid" I don't like it when they say that.

bof
11-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Not very big. Though it is well known, but hardly anybody plays it, though I infected 3 friends. But the ukulele is expanding at an accelerated pace here in Germany. Our Uke-club has over 1000 members now.

alika207
11-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Interesting question! I think lots of kids at my school play 'ukulele but not Hawaiian music which kinda disappoints me. I wish more people in my area knew traditional Hawaiian and/or Jawaiian songs. Oh well.

BboyEmperor
11-30-2008, 08:32 AM
I live in Long Beach, Southern California. Specifically the West Side. Around here, especially at my school, there are many pacific islanders that play the ukulele. It's not a really big population of players but it's a good amount.

Howie1947
11-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Check your private messages........

Rick K
11-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Hi I live on the west coast of Fl. We have a pretty good ukulele comunity here.
I see more and more ukulele players. We even have a ukulele shop on the beach.

uke142464
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
i'd say about one nanometer

ricdoug
12-02-2008, 06:32 AM
i'd say about one nanometer

Not according to Snake Oiler! He's teaching uke in Philly, now!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5540&highlight=philadelphia

uke142464
12-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Not according to Snake Oiler! He's teaching uke in Philly, now!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5540&highlight=philadelphia

?? that doesnt say hes teaching. I was in that article by the way, Im the other UU member in it:D

Jaxxstatic
12-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm finding more and more ninja ukulele players are coming out of the woodworks as I carry my Kala sprucetop tenor with me everywhere. Hopefully, it catches on and more people around here either pick it up or reveal their skills and proudly play the ukulele in public. I brought mine with me to a deployment because I only got it right before I left. I was surprised to meet one other military guy who had the same idea! He was from Hawaii and was surprised to find out that I was from Nebraska. Haha. There are a lot of talented guitar players around this area who I hope will translate their skills to the ukulele. I'm starting with my closest friends and family. Ukulele sessions at church every Friday! Woot!

ricdoug
12-12-2008, 03:18 PM
?? that doesnt say hes teaching. I was in that article by the way, Im the other UU member in it:D

He's definately teaching, Will:

http://www.ukulelecosmos.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9593&highlight=

UkEdman90
12-12-2008, 05:31 PM
not to brag but...
I HAVE PERSONALLY STARTED A COMMUNITY AT MY COLLEGE!!!!!

i would bring my uke daily sit under a tree and simply create songs! i would play some by request then wow the audience with Gently weeps! that was it two weeks l8er 4 people had ukes started a club now we have got 13 members! unfortunately this is like 20 miles away from my casa in lil Ontario CA but its ight im starting 2 play at local coffee shops! hopefully the hearing the complexity of the songs will show that it is a REAL instrument and not just a child's toy! needless 2 say its getting better! One thing is for certain! it wont crash like skateboarding in 66! haha

keep rockn yall!

:rock::nana:

Mook
01-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Some people say that the uke scene in Finland is great, but I heard about ukulele first time a year ago or so and I might say that I had to work hard to figure out where the ukulele goes around Finland. The uke needs to be taken broader to the people who aren't particulary interested about ukuleles. The ukulele must hit the streets!

I take this as my holy mission and as my fingers get faster and more precise I will let the people of Finland feel the might of the ukulele! :D :biglaugh:

Well... maybe not so seriously, but you get my point :D

MisoHappy
01-03-2009, 06:28 PM
At my middle school, it's a hassle to bring our ukes. Our lockers are too small to fit the case in, (or even the ukulele by itself) so we'd have to carry it all over campus. People bring nonetheless. they usually play after school at the bus stop, before school, in hallways, and at recess and lunch. And 6th grade music classes focus on the uke.

I live in Mililani Ike (not pronounced like Mike and Ike, mind you). In my neighborhood, wherever there's a group of people, there is sure to be a uker. :D

pirate looks at 40
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
i believe that i am the only ukulele player in my school..... there ya go for livin on Long Island, New YOrk =)

cpatch
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Round here, the ukulele is small. Tiny, in fact. It's fair to say that the tenor is a good bit bigger than the soprano, and I guess the concert is somewhere in between. They're nowhere near as big as the guitar though.
Best post in the thread!

katreetrunk
02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
i only know of three ukulele players here in boca fl, and that's me, my friend [that i just found out today played!] and some kid who was walking around our school a few days ago holding one...needless to say i wanted to tap him on the shoulder and ask if i could play it hah

Fast Dash 8
02-02-2009, 07:53 PM
So far, I know quite a bit of people around my campus who play the ukulele (including the Samoan folks), and know 4 people around campus who actually bring their ukes to school. Three of them are here on the UU, one of them being UkEdman90.

i only know of three ukulele players here in boca fl, and that's me, my friend [that i just found out today played!] and some kid who was walking around our school a few days ago holding one...needless to say i wanted to tap him on the shoulder and ask if i could play it hah

Shoulda tapped him on the shoulder! Man, that's how I met a lot of people around my campus. Either I have caught someone with their uke, or they have caught me (mostly the second one... and mostly by the Samoan people)

Speaking of the Samoans on campus, they usually like to borrow my uke when they run into me or I run into them. Then they claim they don't sing very well. But when they do start singing, and it's like freakin' American Idol. Then other Samoans come by and they start singing along as well in perfect harmony! Then afterwards, they finish the mini impromptu jam session, thank me for the uke, and carry off on their merry way, while I'm standing there boggled and amazed at what just happened! :confused:

Fast Dash 8
02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
not to brag but...
I HAVE PERSONALLY STARTED A COMMUNITY AT MY COLLEGE!!!!!

i would bring my uke daily sit under a tree and simply create songs! i would play some by request then wow the audience with Gently weeps! that was it two weeks l8er 4 people had ukes started a club now we have got 13 members! unfortunately this is like 20 miles away from my casa in lil Ontario CA but its ight im starting 2 play at local coffee shops! hopefully the hearing the complexity of the songs will show that it is a REAL instrument and not just a child's toy! needless 2 say its getting better! One thing is for certain! it wont crash like skateboarding in 66! haha

keep rockn yall!

:rock::nana:

Oh come on! You saw me with my Kala Tenor that one day you were buying a book from the bookstore before I ever saw you with a uke! :p :rolleyes:

Seriously though, you really should meet the other uke people. Then we can rule the campus with ukulele frenzy.

Enlight
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Down here in Adelaide (Australia) ukulele doesn't appear in many places. I've never even seen anyone busking with one here. I'll admit, it's becoming a more popular instrument, and there are clubs and groups popping up around Australia like nothing else, but they are mainly comprising of 40 to 50+ year olds and as a 16 year old I can't help but feel out of place. Nothing against these folks, as they're all great people, but they aren't really the most adventurous people when it comes to learning new stuff, but then again there was also a focus on teaching new people to play and that happened every meeting... Anyway, besides these few groups i think almost everyone else would smirk and comment on its huge novelty factor, and I always sigh and give up trying to convince them otherwise. Also, the music stores here offer nearly no choices when it comes to uke shopping. Basically its those cheap ones that go out of tune every 3 minutes, or its nothing.

Basically, its not a big thing at all here, which is a real shame.
I guess our city has an "If you don't play it/want to play it, you laugh at it" kind of thinking strategy. its annoying :(

Zakulele
02-03-2009, 02:20 AM

It's nice to know there are other uke players in S. Florida, I was the only one I knew of until now.

Harold O.
02-03-2009, 06:18 AM
We had the family in Cancun, Mexico over New Years. I brought my soprano with me and strummed on the beach, at the outdoor bar, and on the back patio. A lot of people stopped to listen. Very few even knew what it was and gave me blank stares when I said "Ukulele, you know, from Hawaii."

Most of the tourists there were from Europe (mostly Germany, France, Italy), Canada, and the eastern US (New York, Boston). They were clueless but enjoyed it just the same. At least no one told me to stop playing.

My wife pointed out that folks from the Atlantic region vacation in Florida or the Caribbean as opposed to Hawaii and thus don't get exposed to the ukulele or Hawaiian culture the way west coast people do.

(from another thread)
Guitar player: "Who do you expect to please with that little thing?"
Ukulele player: "Me."

katreetrunk
02-03-2009, 10:46 AM
It's nice to know there are other uke players in S. Florida, I was the only one I knew of until now.

Cool :)

What part of sofla are you from?

katreetrunk
02-03-2009, 10:48 AM
So far, I know quite a bit of people around my campus who play the ukulele (including the Samoan folks), and know 4 people around campus who actually bring their ukes to school. Three of them are here on the UU, one of them being UkEdman90.

Shoulda tapped him on the shoulder! Man, that's how I met a lot of people around my campus. Either I have caught someone with their uke, or they have caught me (mostly the second one... and mostly by the Samoan people)

Speaking of the Samoans on campus, they usually like to borrow my uke when they run into me or I run into them. Then they claim they don't sing very well. But when they do start singing, and it's like freakin' American Idol. Then other Samoans come by and they start singing along as well in perfect harmony! Then afterwards, they finish the mini impromptu jam session, thank me for the uke, and carry off on their merry way, while I'm standing there boggled and amazed at what just happened! :confused:

Next time, i think i will...just hopefully i don't sound like a creep :p

sing along with them!

Fast Dash 8
02-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Next time, i think i will...just hopefully i don't sound like a creep :p

sing along with them!

Nah, you won't sound like a creep, it's from one uke player to another. They'll warm up especially faster if you have your uke in hand (unless they don't know how to play, then they might be intimidated)

Haha! I do start singing if I know what song they are playing, usually when they are playing Doo Wop songs from the late 50's and early 60's (I'm a big fan of Doo Wop). But Most of the time, it's some romantic R&B song from the 90's, which I almost all of the time have never heard of. Doesn't bother me much though, as it seems to catch the attention of the ladies around campus (not that the uke should be used solely as a chick magnet, but it is one of the benefits ;))

And then there's those other times their actually rapping with the uke...

katreetrunk
02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Nah, you won't sound like a creep, it's from one uke player to another. They'll warm up especially faster if you have your uke in hand (unless they don't know how to play, then they might be intimidated)

Haha! I do start singing if I know what song they are playing, usually when they are playing Doo Wop songs from the late 50's and early 60's (I'm a big fan of Doo Wop). But Most of the time, it's some romantic R&B song from the 90's, which I almost all of the time have never heard of. Doesn't bother me much though, as it seems to catch the attention of the ladies around campus (not that the uke should be used solely as a chick magnet, but it is one of the benefits ;))

And then there's those other times their actually rapping with the uke...

it definitely is a chick magnet, i'd say. :D

Zakulele
02-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Hollywood, FL in S.Broward area.

Buddy McCue
05-07-2009, 04:06 AM
Down here in North Georgia, you never see any ukulele players. I reckon it looks like a toy to most people.

More common are the Bluegrass instruments, guitar, mandolin, banjo and dobro. I played the mandolin for over 20 years before picking up the ukulele, but I almost never play the mando now.

buddhuu
05-07-2009, 04:51 AM
Quite a few ukes locally... but all owned by members of my band! :D

Very, very rare apart from that. Upright basses, mandolins and fiddles are all more common than ukes - and this is the UK, not Kentucky! :confused:

RyRod
05-07-2009, 06:04 AM
I've seen on flea market music that there's a couple people around my area that play. I haven't talked to them though. I got a couple of my friends hooked now too.

rossjr
05-07-2009, 06:09 AM
I actually count myself as lucky, living here in Minneapolis I really didn't expect to find many people but to my luck I have found two groups so far:

Strum MN - that meets the first Sunday of the month, it's a broad range of players here from an experience perspective.

TCUO (Twin Cities Ukulele Orchestra) - practices weekly on Tuesday nights. They are lively and talented group

Both cases they were open and out going.

beeejums
05-07-2009, 06:33 AM
There aren't many uke players around here, but people seem to be pretty open minded about it.

My friends gave me a hard time about it when I started playing, but they've stopped and universally admitted that they actually like it when I play.

I get lots of friendly looks when I'm out playing in the park, and I've had a couple people stop to listen.

I think they see it as a novelty, though.

RyRod
05-07-2009, 10:10 AM
My friends gave me a hard time about it when I started playing, but they've stopped and universally admitted that they actually like it when I play.

That's how it was with my friends and family. Now that i'm somewhat decent and they can tell what i'm playing, they enjoy it. My mom even sings along to somewhere over the rainbow.

psesinkclee
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm the only person I know in my area in North NJ who plays it. I play it on the streets in towns near me and talk with the on-lookers, but no one I've encountered knew how to play it (so far).

I also go to college up in Albany, NY and don't know anyone at my school who plays, but I've taught a bunch of my friends how to play a few simple songs.

bt93
05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
there are about 5 of us at my school. (that i know of)

ukeshale
05-07-2009, 12:16 PM
i don't really know any other uke players anywhere near me :(

Futch
05-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey, where are you Ukeshale. As a fellow isolated english fellow I know what you mean!

thekidwho
05-07-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm a high-school student living in Boston. I would say that Guitar is the big thing here. Ukulele isn't that big. I mean when I told people that I wanted a ukulele, a lot of people giggled and said "why would you need one?", and a handful said "what's a ukulele?". anyways, at my highschool, there are a handful of ukulele players. most of them are filipino. i would say that around here seeing someone play the ukulele isn't surprising as seeing a 3 legged human, but it IS surprising to people for the most part. Oh, don't forget AJ Rafael who goes to berklee here and plays the uke.

ukuleletim
05-07-2009, 02:34 PM
If there are uke players in Austin they are hiding.

drjond56
05-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Ukulele is non-existent in central Alabama as far as I can tell. Oddly one of the high schools here has a very good mandolin orchestra, fostered by a string teacher there who loves the mandolin. Otherwise the dominant factors here are electric rock guitar and dreadnaught country guitar.

I don't usually play in public, but have been playing for my own amusement when some other folk were around--playing fingerstyle instrumentals--generally eliciting the comment, "Didn't know you could play that on a ukulele!" I am playing guitar for a church event in the near future--and I might just have enough nerve to pull out the uke. Might even surprise my guitar playing partner.

Jon

Wagster
05-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Down here in North Georgia, you never see any ukulele players. I reckon it looks like a toy to most people.

More common are the Bluegrass instruments, guitar, mandolin, banjo and dobro. I played the mandolin for over 20 years before picking up the ukulele, but I almost never play the mando now.

Yup. Had one redneck ask me how my FIDDLE got so bloated and why I didn't tuck it under my chin like a proper fiddle player. I 'spained to him in terms a 4th grader could understand (I think he grasped most of it) that it was not a fiddle, but rather a guitar that my wife had left in the dryer to long and it shrank. He rubbed his chin knowingly, muttered something derogatory about women and walked away!

I'll be taking my ukes to the local bluegrass festival in a few weeks for the first time. I'm sure I'll be a BIG hit! :cool:

Roy Jovero
05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I work with Eric (emotion) and we have another coworker that plays.

Here in Union City, I've only seen one other uke player, and that was a while back. People keep asking me why my guitar has only 4 strings.

ukebrudder
05-07-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm from Buffalo, NY and I have yet to come across another ukulele enthusiast. Besides me and my one friend who both started this last December. However I sold one of my old ukes to a friend last week and I'm helping this kid my other friend knows buy a uke off ebay soon. We're hoping to spread the word and get ukuleles into as many hands around here as possible!

Link
05-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I used to think I was the only uker around here. But I've been meeting quite a few lately. I think I know of 5 ukers in Utah now. Alot better than 1! But I'm going to change all that. Pretty much the only reason I've begun playing open mics and stuff is to whore out the uke! haha. Hopefully some people will be inspired to pick one up.

Ukuleleblues
05-08-2009, 06:13 AM

I live in SC. Most folks think it's a mandolin, or sign of the devil, or second coming. Depends on which Bubba you is pickin for. You hear alot of: "You ain't from around here is you?"

Some people have never seen or heard of a "ucklemayna".

Ukuleleblues
05-08-2009, 06:17 AM
I'll be taking my ukes to the local bluegrass festival in a few weeks for the first time. I'm sure I'll be a BIG hit! :cool:

You gotta tell us about that!!!!! For Genre of music just invented by an innovator like Bill Monroe, the current players sure are stuck in their ways. Same instruments, (same models and same manufacturers).

Uke them dudes!!!!

AnnaUK
05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm in Kent, in the UK. I've never met anyone else in this county who plays uke. It's why I came to UU really, cos it's non-existant here.

Well, hopefully I'm the first of many - my friend asked me to show her some chords :D

The word is spreading slowly...

UkuleleHill
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
That I know of the only people in my area that play uke are people I have taught at camp... So thats 10...

jdmcnasty
05-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I live in Buffalo, NY. There are about as many uke players in my area as there are snowboarders on Oahu..

Ukuleleblues
05-09-2009, 02:01 AM
After reading through this I guess we have a average amount of uke players in the area. In the Charleston Metro Area ther are about 675,000 people. Our uke club has 22 members, 11 have actually come to a meeting. Outside of the club I know of 3 others that play. That 14 ukers or 0.00020741% of the population.

There are two uke bands and one solo that perform around here. Up in Myrtle Beach (110 miles from the center of the chas metro area) there is another group of 14 I have met and I know of one uke band tha performs.

RangerRingor
05-09-2009, 12:09 PM
So here's the story:

About 7 months ago me and my cousin started playing ukulele. We had guitar class at school and we brought the uke from time to time in class and jammed out there. Jammed in the hallway while walking to class. We definitely got some weird looks because about 85+% of the people from my school are white. But I was a pretty known dude and was cool with all of the people. Then we decided to perform in our talent show. We played "So Wonderful" by Devotion but I didn't play the uke, I played the cajon:D.:D Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylaQEJTrfOw&fmt=18...The talent show manager told us that for once there was something unique in the talent show. Cause year after year its mostly rock music in the talent show. It was the first time that these instruments were played in LHS talent show history. After this performance. I've seen about new 3 people bringing ukes to school. :eek:

So overall, some people had no idea of what it was, but we definitely made the uke a favor by bringing its popularity up. Now the uke is widely accepted in my school. We might even start a ukulele club.

PS: I bring the ukulele about anywhere. I jam whenever. Just jam in public and when people ask question, that's the time where you tell them about the uke and play a couple of songs for them. DON'T BE ASHAMED OF THE UKE! :shaka:

Uncle-Taco
05-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I used to think I was the only uker around here. But I've been meeting quite a few lately. I think I know of 5 ukers in Utah now. Alot better than 1! But I'm going to change all that. Pretty much the only reason I've begun playing open mics and stuff is to whore out the uke! haha. Hopefully some people will be inspired to pick one up.

...6! :D

I have never seen anyone else play one in the Salt Lake area, but there's a store in my neighborhood that sells them and every time I go there, they have a different inventory. SOMEBODY gotta be buyin' them ukes!!

cjensen91910
05-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Here in north Florida I have tried to get a meet going but no luck. A shop here in St Augustine sells ukes and gear but have never had luck getting together with any one. I know there are a couple in the area but I guess there is no interest in a meet up.