2 Chord Song Book exploration thread

jwieties

Reaction score
I know Aaron Keim has many fans on this board. I also know that many people have picked up his 2 Chord Song books. I received both volumes for my birthday in December. The song selection is incredible and I especially like that it only gives the chords and none of the embellishments that you get to see in Aaron's videos. It gives the opportunity to listen to other versions, explore the song and push yourself to make it your own.

I was hoping this thread could be a place where people could share their versions of the songs they have worked on. This could give others a little help with the songs and new ideas to spice up what they have already done.

So, if you've got the book, post a vid. Multiple versions of the same song would be excellent.

Here's Keys to the Kingdom from Vol. 2. This is the 1st video I've posted on UU. I've been playing guitar for a while, but just picked up the ukulele in Sept. I can't get enough of this little instrument. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a singer, but I feel this song book has helped that a great deal. Mostly because the songs are brief, simple and carry a great deal of emotion which overshadows my vocal short comings.

http://vimeo.com/35152959

Last edited:
That is a great first video. I don't have the songbook, but I like the thought of folks sharing their improvisation techniques. I might have to order the songbooks.

Thanks Elisdad!
I didn't realize the video didn't embed, so to avoid the jump here it is:

Here's a link to Aaron's songbooks. I have no investment, just love this type of music.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/lazarusbooks
I'm sure most have seen them, but he's demo'd many of the songs on youtube.

Great thread! Those song books are great fun, lots of good tunes...... I'll try to post something in the next few days.....

Joshua- really liked your version of 'Keys To The Kingdom' - sweet picking on the intro and outro..... and good stuff from Aaron, as always..... looking forward to seeing what others put op here....

My buddy Zac came by today..... he's actually primarily a pianist, but he's one of those gifted folks who can play just about anything.... we decided to record a couple of the songs from Aaron's books....

Zac plays guitar on this version of 'Shady Grove'

He plays fiddle on 'Jambalaya' here.....

Looking forward to seeing some more from other folks.....

Aaron - Man, Tom Dooley is a great song. My 7 year old is actually working on it. Might have to submit a vid of him playing it for this thread.

23 - That was excellent!!! Gave me some good ideas for Shady Groove. Both songs were great. Perfect example of how these songs provide a very simple foundation that can stand alone, yet offer endless possibilities to expand. Really appreciate you adding to the thread.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.... I get together every week or so with Zac and another friend..... we play 'Jambalaya' fairly regularly, but this was our first stab at 'Shady Grove', although I've played it off and on for years. I usually play guitar, so it's nice to branch out and practice taking the lead on the uke....

Joshua- I know what you mean about the song books, and traditional music in general..... the fact that you can make it as complicated as you'd like, but the simplicity of the tune is what's truly appealing about them. Aaron's books have a really great selection of tunes and a handy jumping off point....

Eric- 'Shady Grove' has always been one of my favorites, as well.... especially like Doc Watson's various incarnations of it through the years..... Grisman and Garcia do it pretty well, too....

Wow Skidoo! You guys are awesome, keep it coming friends!!!!!

Thanks, Aaron.... Really enjoy your clawhammer stuff - I've really been working on it myself, using your great tutorials as a start. I'm going to hit you up for some advice - I've only got one uke and I like to keep it strung with a low G... I've seen other folks doing clawhammer with a low G, but I'm having a hard time gettin it to sound 'right' - any brief thoughts on arranging for low G clawhammer?

Just got my songbooks today! Thanks for shipping those out so quickly Aaron. I am excited to start working on something. BTW Aaron, I was in Longmont last week for work and missed seeing you at Oskar Blues by two days. I was bummed!

Eric

Bill, all that's left to say is WHEN'S THE RECORD COMING OUT?????? You're awesome man.

just want to add my appreciation of this thread and of Aaron's music in general. These songbooks are wonderful and, like Bill said, a great point to 'jump off' from.

Here's a bash at "Joshua Fit' T' Battle O' Jericho"

and here's another go at "Shady Grove"

Last edited:
Wow, so far, reading this thread is like watching a "battle of the bands" but with really good performers instead of the drekh that so often turns up at a GC battle of the bands!

Keep it up guys!

Wow, so far, reading this thread is like watching a "battle of the bands" but with really good performers instead of the drekh that so often turns up at a GC battle of the bands!

Keep it up guys!

he he...yes John, and without that horrible rivalry...eeek. Seriously, these are great collections. Hand made books - which counts for something right - and, best of all, they are promoting wonderful music that has soul and history behind it. tried and true stuff, i guess we still sing em now for a reason, eh?

Amazing stuff guys! I was planning on posting another video this weekend, but was inspired so I pulled one together tonight. Here's my very humble attempt at "Rove Riley Rove"

YES!!!! You all are awesome keep it up!

Sorry to have missed you in longmont, that was a fun gig. lots of free beeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr....

Skidoo, sorry, but clawhammer likely won't ever sound "right" with a low g. It removes the punch and drive from the thumb note.

I have heard a couple of people do i well with low strings on a uke a guitar, but its been pretty rare. its cause it puts the low note on the off beat, which can make it seem off kilter for most listeners.

Top Bottom