Perhaps a new strain of UAS?

Dougf

Reaction score
I've been bitten by the desire to acquire before, but after taking Rick Turner's ukulele building class, I now want to acquire by building my own. I just finished my first from-scratch build, and I've already started on my next. I know where I made mistakes, and I want to build an even better one now. I can see that there may be no end to this.

Anybody else have this particular strain of UAS?

I've been bitten by the desire to acquire before, but after taking Rick Turner's ukulele building class, I now want to acquire by building my own. I just finished my first from-scratch build, and I've already started on my next. I know where I made mistakes, and I want to build an even better one now. I can see that there may be no end to this.

I'm jealous. I won't have time to try my hand at a build until school is over. In the meantime I've been slowly acquiring some tools to do the job right. My next item is to build an electric pipe bender like the one Rick brought in. I want to practice my bending on scraps before I tackle an actual side. And I really do need to clear out more space on my work bench. Right now it's storage for my son's toys. When I do get started you might want to block me from your PM box because I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions :) Can't wait to see your next one!

-Gary

I've been wanting to build a cigar box uke for some time now. I've got the cigar boxes but finding the time to figure it all out has escaped me so far.

I'm jealous. I won't have time to try my hand at a build until school is over. In the meantime I've been slowly acquiring some tools to do the job right. My next item is to build an electric pipe bender like the one Rick brought in. I want to practice my bending on scraps before I tackle an actual side. And I really do need to clear out more space on my work bench. Right now it's storage for my son's toys. When I do get started you might want to block me from your PM box because I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions :) Can't wait to see your next one!

-Gary

I definitely want to get better tools, right now my only power tool is my drill (and my chainsaw). And I'm not too worried about my PM box, because there are many others much more qualified to answer questions, but please feel free.

I've been wanting to build a cigar box uke for some time now. I've got the cigar boxes but finding the time to figure it all out has escaped me so far.

Time is definitely a limiting factor for me, as well.

Sounds like you have UBS (ukulele building syndrome)! I think we humans generally like to become more proficient at the things we enjoy doing, so I can understand how you could build an ukulele and then think of all the things you could do better. I hope you eventually feel comfortable posting photos of some of your builds at UU. I was hoping to take that Rick Turner class with you and Gary but decided that my then-broken finger would have been an impediment. I'm planning to take the class if Rick teaches it here again -- I believe he's planning to come back again this spring -- but now I'm worried about developing UBS and not having the space for the tools I'll need to get. On the other hand, I recently acquired a block of pretty curly koa that I think could be made into an ukulele wood set.....

Time is definitely a limiting factor for me, as well.

Good for you Doug! But beware of the advanced symptoms of this bug which cause you to ignore your lawn, your family, your health, etc. Luckily, many of these things can be avoided simply by picking up our ukes occasionally and playing them.

Sounds like you have UBS (ukulele building syndrome)! I think we humans generally like to become more proficient at the things we enjoy doing, so I can understand how you could build an ukulele and then think of all the things you could do better. I hope you eventually feel comfortable posting photos of some of your builds at UU. I was hoping to take that Rick Turner class with you and Gary but decided that my then-broken finger would have been an impediment. I'm planning to take the class if Rick teaches it here again -- I believe he's planning to come back again this spring -- but now I'm worried about developing UBS and not having the space for the tools I'll need to get. On the other hand, I recently acquired a block of pretty curly koa that I think could be made into an ukulele wood set.....

UBS, that's it! I've certainly got a case of that. Sorry you missed Rick's last class, it was a lot of fun. Hope to see you make use of that curly koa.
I did post some pics of my latest build (and a video). Here's a link to that thread in luthier's lounge:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?58592-My-Manzanita-build

Good for you Doug! But beware of the advanced symptoms of this bug which cause you to ignore your lawn, your family, your health, etc. Luckily, many of these things can be avoided simply by picking up our ukes occasionally and playing them.

Thanks, Chuck, my lawn has always felt neglected, but I'm trying hard to keep my wife from feeling that way. Not always easy to do, though.

Top Bottom